Triple B/Spyderco Folder

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JRinFL

Re: Triple B/Spyderco Folder

Post by JRinFL »

Pictures of prototypes are not allowed until they reach a certain point of development.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

The CPM 15V Sprint run was supposed to be a surprise treat.

Eric wanted to share the CPM 15V with the custom heat treatment I worked on for my folder design.

His idea was to use a standard model so people can get their hands on the steel. Which I thought was really, REALLY cool of him to do that.

Working with Crucible and Niagara Specialty Metal we were able to select a specific melt of the CPM 15V that would respond best to this specially developed custom heat treatment.

So, Eric and Sal really went all the way on this, no other production knife company on the planet would do something like this. Eric and Sal are one of a kind.

You guys need to understand this is very unique having actual knife/steel/sharpening/edge people running a knife company that can cater to enthusiasts.

Originally, I was given options for different handle scales for the Manix but the most important priority was to get the CPM 15V Manix out as soon as possible so it didn't make any sense to use exotic scale materials.
G10 is a great material to work with and brown g10 was selected because "Big Brown Bear" aka
Triplebhandmade. (Me)

I am aware as many others that brown g10 is not unique to this model.

But the color of the handle scales and the handle scale material are irrelevant to edge performance and the most important priority was getting this out to you guys as soon as possible.

Looks like the price is great too, if we used carbon fiber etc cost would have been higher.

So, I hope you guys can respect that.

The folder collaboration design was being pushed back due to production capacity being completely full at Golden.

Please understand that I've been very persistent at wanting the knife made in Golden come **** or high water; I would wait until the stars burned out.

Spyderco has been very busy increasing the size of their golden factory to meet the insane demand of the current knife industry after the global pandemic.

Keep in mind, when a new product comes through the factory, they have to train the staff on how to make them, and what the best procedures are for creating that specific model in high volume with maximum efficiency. So, there is hidden effort when new designs come through at Spyderco.

Folks need to remember if we want this folder made in Golden (my favorite factory) we have to be patient.

My dream is to have a Golden folder we can all experience together.

I've gotten a chance to meet the people from the Golden factory I must say I'm even more excited about the idea of it being made in Golden. I've talked to the people that do grinding and heat treatment and there's just something special about being able to talk to the folks that make your collaboration knife design.

So, I keep pretty quiet about the folder because I don't feel it's necessary to see get people excited about something that doesn't have a clearly set date of exactly when it can be expected and I don't want to put any undue pressure on Spyderco because they've been working very very hard over the past couple years to get things that sometimes people take for granted and expect to magically appear on the shelves to buy.

While I haven't been posting in this thread everyday, I really appreciate you guys making sure to let Spyderco know this is something you want.

So, thanks for always updating this thread and talking about it on social media.

I really think you guys will like this knife and I can't wait to get one in my pocket one day.

-Shawn
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
Steeltoez83

Post by Steeltoez83 »

I can't wait to tap into the bearforce when I get my hands on one. Instead of a dlc offering I'd like to see an icy blue g10 polar bear version down the road. But I'm pumped to get 15V for this price point.
"Nothing is built on stone; all is built on sand, but we must build as if the sand were stone."
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Thanks for the insight and perspective. Both the Manix and yours are a privilege to obtain
Deadboxhero wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:35 pm

Eric wanted to share the CPM 15V with the custom heat treatment I worked on for my folder design.

His idea was to use a standard model so people can get their hands on the steel. Which I thought was really, REALLY cool of him to do that.

Working with Crucible and Niagara Specialty Metal we were able to select a specific melt of the CPM 15V that would respond best to this specially developed custom heat treatment.

So, Eric and Sal really went all the way on this, no other production knife company on the planet would do something like this. Eric and Sal are one of a kind.

You guys need to understand this is very unique having actual knife/steel/sharpening/edge people running a knife company that can cater to enthusiasts.

Originally, I was given options for different handle scales for the Manix but the most important priority was to get the CPM 15V Manix out as soon as possible so it didn't make any sense to use exotic scale materials.
G10 is a great material to work with and brown g10 was selected because "Big Brown Bear" aka
Triplebhandmade. (Me)

But the color of the handle scales and the handle scale material are irrelevant to edge performance and the most important priority was getting this out to you guys as soon as possible.

Looks like the price is great too, if we used carbon fiber etc cost would have been higher.

The folder collaboration design was being pushed back due to production capacity being completely full at Golden.

Please understand that I've been very persistent at wanting the knife made in Golden come **** or high water; I would wait until the stars burned out.

Spyderco has been very busy increasing the size of their golden factory to meet the insane demand of the current knife industry after the global pandemic.

Keep in mind, when a new product comes through the factory, they have to train the staff on how to make them, and what the best procedures are for creating that specific model in high volume with maximum efficiency. So, there is hidden effort when new designs come through at Spyderco.

Folks need to remember if we want this folder made in Golden (my favorite factory) we have to be patient.

I've gotten a chance to meet the people from the Golden factory I must say I'm even more excited about the idea of it being made in Golden. I've talked to the people that do grinding and heat treatment and there's just something special about being able to talk to the folks that make your collaboration knife design.

So, I keep pretty quiet about the folder because I don't feel it's necessary to see get people excited about something that doesn't have a clearly set date of exactly when it can be expected and I don't want to put any undue pressure on Spyderco because they've been working very very hard over the past couple years to get things that sometimes people take for granted and expect to magically appear on the shelves to buy.

While I haven't been posting in this thread everyday, I really appreciate you guys making sure to let Spyderco know this is something you want.

So, thanks for always updating this thread and talking about it on social media.

I really think you guys will like this knife and I can't wait to get one in my pocket one day.

-Shawn
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I love that it's a Manix of all models, and brown scales are good for hiding dirt/grime. Steel that sounds amazing along with the price. Very excited for the opportunity!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Thanks Shawn. I'm a fan for all the reasons you listed.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

The price is really, really good on this one. I don't love the Manix, personally, but I've been thinking about trying David's mod - this would be a prime candidate.

Thanks Shawn, Sal, and Eric - you spoil us.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

Deadboxhero wrote:

-Shawn
My K390 Endela was the first Spydie I'd bought myself in some time. The only non-Spyderco knives I've bought myself in many years are either a Buck for stashing or a fancy French something. But my daily, use all the time, not interested in other stuff knives are Spyderco's and I know which models I like.

Your water-drip approach to me indeed eroded my concerns about carbon steels and Sal's excellent Endela design sold me. That and the CS S90V Manix 2 LW are my mainstays. I absolutely adore Eric's M2LW.

So a Shawn heat treated 15V in a Manix 2? Oh **** yes! And that price is outstanding and many cuddos to the Spyderco team for making that happen! As it is a sprint, I'm likely to miss out on it but if so, that's okay as my pocket knife money has been quietly waiting on the BBB colab since I first learned of it. I'd like to get this one but I'm content to wait.

Spyderco is the EDC/Outdoor knife company as far as I'm concerned and things like this just reinforce it ten fold!

Who but Sal and Eric recognize the potential in a guy who not that long ago was an EMT working as a part time sharpener at a shop? Here we have an individual who gave total commitment to his new passion, far beyond just learning how to form steel, but fully immersing himself in understanding steel and it's application to the cut we all care about. I don't know of course, but as an observer from afar, I almost feel as if Sal and Eric have helped to some extent forge the path. Before you know it, that ambulance driver is working with some of the biggest names in the knife industry today. And to go a step further, all of the people involved are amazing at caring about and giving to the community.

The M2 in 15V itself represents so much more than just an "existing model in a new steel". There's so much back story in that offering alone that I seriously think it could be a cool story to be documented. Think about all those things that had to come together and the character of all the people involved...

But then to go to a full blown Triple B/Spyderco collab? And made in Golden? Yeah, that's something special and I can wait.

For those who may want to slap a fanboy label on me, by all means indulge yourselves but don't be mad when you find there isn't much room left for your sticker. I'm not easily given to such commitment and my loyalty is earned and earned it has been.

But uh...I mean...Let's not wait too long ya know? :squinting-tongue
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Oh man between Shawn's testimonial and the recent vid by Spyderco about the evolution of the Manix, this is now a must have for me. Curse you!
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Thank YOU, it will definitely be a very interesting flavor to add to the rotation.
Fireman wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:04 pm
Thanks for the insight and perspective. Both the Manix and yours are a privilege to obtain
Deadboxhero wrote:

Triplebhandmade. (Me)

-Shawn
Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

I don't even know where to begin, thank you for the kind words I really appreciate it.

Eli Chaps wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:13 pm
Deadboxhero wrote:

-Shawn
My K390 Endela was the first Spydie I'd bought myself in some time. The only non-Spyderco knives I've bought myself in many years are either a Buck for stashing or a fancy French something. But my daily, use all the time, not interested in other stuff knives are Spyderco's and I know which models I like.

Your water-drip approach to me indeed eroded my concerns about carbon steels and Sal's excellent Endela design sold me. That and the CS S90V Manix 2 LW are my mainstays. I absolutely adore Eric's M2LW.

So a Shawn heat treated 15V in a Manix 2? Oh **** yes! And that price is outstanding and many cuddos to the Spyderco team for making that happen! As it is a sprint, I'm likely to miss out on it but if so, that's okay as my pocket knife money has been quietly waiting on the BBB colab since I first learned of it. I'd like to get this one but I'm content to wait.

Spyderco is the EDC/Outdoor knife company as far as I'm concerned and things like this just reinforce it ten fold!

Who but Sal and Eric recognize the potential in a guy who not that long ago was an EMT working as a part time sharpener at a shop? Here we have an individual who gave total commitment to his new passion, far beyond just learning how to form steel, but fully immersing himself in understanding steel and it's application to the cut we all care about. I don't know of course, but as an observer from afar, I almost feel as if Sal and Eric have helped to some extent forge the path. Before you know it, that ambulance driver is working with some of the biggest names in the knife industry today. And to go a step further, all of the people involved are amazing at caring about and giving to the community.

The M2 in 15V itself represents so much more than just an "existing model in a new steel". There's so much back story in that offering alone that I seriously think it could be a cool story to be documented. Think about all those things that had to come together and the character of all the people involved...

But then to go to a full blown Triple B/Spyderco collab? And made in Golden? Yeah, that's something special and I can wait.

For those who may want to slap a fanboy label on me, by all means indulge yourselves but don't be mad when you find there isn't much room left for your sticker. I'm not easily given to such commitment and my loyalty is earned and earned it has been.

But uh...I mean...Let's not wait too long ya know? :squinting-tongue
Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

Unauthorized sighting of the BBB folder??!!

The latest Spyderco Byte has a segment on the 2023 Amsterdam Meet with an image posted from the event.. anybody else clock the knife on the monitor? Perhaps our European brethren can verify? And maybe someone with better tech skills than I can blow up the image with more clarity..

Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

:eyes
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

DSH007 wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 3:23 pm

The latest Spyderco Byte has a segment on the 2023 Amsterdam Meet with an image posted from the event.. anybody else clock the knife on the monitor? Perhaps our European brethren can verify? And maybe someone with better tech skills than I can blow up the image with more clarity..

Wow, good eye right there! That just could be it. The handle's a tad bit too long for my taste, but the design definitely screams BBB handmade right there. If that is theoretically the BBB folder (I'm not saying it is 100% until there is official confirmation), I'm definitely glad they kept it humpless in line with Shawn's knife designs. I notice no cutout at the handles so it couldn't be a backlock...compression lock? Or it could be another knife entirely, perhaps a fixed blade? Or is this an elaborate April Fool's prank? Haha.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Senfkarte

Post by Senfkarte »

nerdlock wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 4:45 pm
I notice no cutout at the handles so it couldn't be a backlock...compression lock?
The prototype at blade show was a liner lock.

cjk wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:33 am
JSumm wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:29 am
It was in the prototype display at blade show. That is all I remember though.
I saw it there as well. It was a linerlock with a micarta (?) handle. I didn't ask to handle it.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

cjk wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 1:56 pm
DukeBrnz wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:03 pm
I was aware of what it was, however unfortunately for me: liner lock = almost zero interest

Liner locks are usually pretty difficult to close left handed, usually even more than a frame lock.
I want to be able to close my knife with either hand relatively easily.
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:32 pm
cjk wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 1:49 pm
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:29 am
cjk wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:33 am
That’s too bad , another high end of no buy for me . Thank you! MG2
No offense to you, folks, but (no surprise) I would actually be so glad if this would become one of the so rare high(er) end Spyderco linerlocks! And not yet another comp.lock.

Also, I honestly don't find it difficult at all to close a linerlock left handed? Using the index finger for lock activation (and I am not even a lefty) ?
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:18 am
cjk wrote:
DukeBrnz wrote:
I was aware of what it was, however unfortunately for me: liner lock = almost zero interest

Liner locks are usually pretty difficult to close left handed, usually even more than a frame lock.
I want to be able to close my knife with either hand relatively easily.
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
cjk wrote:
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:29 am
That’s too bad , another high end of no buy for me . Thank you! MG2
No offense to you, folks, but (no surprise) I would actually be so glad if this would become one of the so rare high(er) end Spyderco linerlocks! And not yet another comp.lock.

Also, I honestly don't find it difficult at all to close a linerlock left handed? Using the index finger for lock activation (and I am not even a lefty) ?
Maybe the wrong place but help me understand linerlocks. I have one Spyderco with a liner lock and it is my least favorite. Comp lock, ball lock(Manix), back lock all seem to open smoother. Also they close easier since your finger is not in the way of the blade travel. I am looking to get a GB2 but it is one of the things holding me back.

On the flip side a lot of the higher end knives use them… what am I missing, what are their advantages? BBB knows what he is doing, why put a liner lock on his design, same with the GB2? I am a knife novice but I know it must be more than personal preference.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

WilliamMunny wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:40 am
Wartstein wrote:
cjk wrote:
DukeBrnz wrote:
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
cjk wrote:
Maybe the wrong place but help me understand linerlocks. I have one Spyderco with a liner lock and it is my least favorite. Comp lock, ball lock(Manix), back lock all seem to open smoother. Also they close easier since your finger is not in the way of the blade travel. I am looking to get a GB2 but it is one of the things holding me back.

On the flip side a lot of the higher end knives use them… what am I missing, what are their advantages? BBB knows what he is doing, why put a liner lock on his design, same with the GB2? I am a knife novice but I know it must be more than personal preference.
Hey William,

I'll send you a pm with my more detailled thoughts concerning the advantages of linerlocks as I see them , since I am afraid this is the wrong place for that indeed (this is nothing against you at all, but there have been quite some / too many discussions about this already and lately and I want to avoid to initiate another one ;) ).
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 5:33 am
WilliamMunny wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:40 am
Wartstein wrote:
cjk wrote:
Manixguy@1994 wrote:

Hey William,

I'll send you a pm with my more detailled thoughts concerning the advantages of linerlocks as I see them , since I am afraid this is the wrong place for that indeed (this is nothing against you at all, but there have been quite some / too many discussions about this already and lately and I want to avoid to initiate another one ;) ).
Hi Gernot , my comment was merely referring to the knife as a righty and I am a lefty . Glad the knife will be coming out but will be another 15V that I will not purchase . MG2
Last edited by Manixguy@1994 on Sat Apr 01, 2023 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
msum

Post by msum »

DSH007 wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 3:23 pm

Whoa. What a spot!

Sure does look like the right blade profile.

I’m keenly anticipating further details in coming months to years…