We don't actually need to Magnacut *all* the knives

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Re: We don't actually need to Magnacut *all* the knives

Post by Evil D »

yablanowitz wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:00 pm
They all do fail. Some last longer than others. MagnaCut at the factory edge angle (or thereabouts, I freehand) has been among the shorter-lived edges in my unscientific, personal and very subjective use (I wouldn't dignify what I do by calling it "testing"). I'm bumping the edge angle out to about 45° included, I'll see how it stands up.

Is that the same as you do with other steels or just what you feel is necessary with this one? So far I've had fantastic results but I haven't done anything crazy just yet, been so busy with work lately.

And I value the real world use results just as much as scientific tests. I've damaged steels that are highly regarded as being tough, so I know real world results and what's on paper don't always align with each other.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:10 pm
And I value the real world use results just as much as scientific tests. I've damaged steels that are highly regarded as being tough, so I know real world results and what's on paper don't always align with each other.
Amen to that. I personally don't even check all the fancy statistics and percentages of this and that, that make a steel. I love reading people's reviews after they've used their knives and what they've used to fix any damage and how easy it was for them (though subjective)
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:10 pm
yablanowitz wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:00 pm
They all do fail. Some last longer than others. MagnaCut at the factory edge angle (or thereabouts, I freehand) has been among the shorter-lived edges in my unscientific, personal and very subjective use (I wouldn't dignify what I do by calling it "testing"). I'm bumping the edge angle out to about 45° included, I'll see how it stands up.

Is that the same as you do with other steels or just what you feel is necessary with this one? So far I've had fantastic results but I haven't done anything crazy just yet, been so busy with work lately.

If you are referring to the edge angle change, I do that whenever I get tired of sharpening a given steel multiple times during the course of a single job.

This one is going on the rack and Z-Wear is getting another shot.
sal

Post by sal »

We went through a lot to be able to provide you with a piece of the stuff so you learn by yourself and come to your own conclusions. I' glad that we're getting much feedback on the material.

sal
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

sal wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:08 am
We went through a lot to be able to provide you with a piece of the stuff so you learn by yourself and come to your own conclusions. I' glad that we're getting much feedback on the material.

sal
I'm sure you did, and on my part, thank you.
I really do plan on getting the new Native.
In the end of the day, it's gonna be just steel, just another pocket knife.
But that's what we like, that's what we treasure, so that's important.
MNOSD member 0011
DunninLA

Post by DunninLA »

The Meat man wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:35 pm
... I honestly wonder if I'd be able to tell much of a difference from something like CPM S30V/S35VN. I suspect that these steels will be far more similar than they are different.
. I honestly disagree. I've now got a folder in Magnacut HT to 62-63, and it is so much different to S30V. I've had minor chipping issues with S30v, and difficulty sharpening ZDP-189 and S110V. I've even got some VG10 that just isn't quick to sharpen, its tricky. So I was looking for... something tougher, like Cruwear or LC200n, even 14c28n, then Magnacut comes along.

The wear resistance is way understated. It is based on CATRA, which does not account for the fact that In real life we slice things not in the middle of the air, but on a wood background often, and that impact from each slice isn't accounted for by CATRA. Edges degrade more from hitting the background than from actually slicing through the medium most of the time. Pete the Aussie has tested Magnacut at least four different times, with Spyderco Mules as well as Hogue Deka, using rope and a wood surface, and has it as more edge retentive than M390, more similar to K390 when polished at 34 inclusive.

With Magnacut, somehow, you've got a tougher and more stainless K390, though Larrin has never said that, nor would he I think. He's been sandbagging ... just can't figure out why yet. I suspect he is not wanting to state the true capabilities of Magnacut b/c it is truly disruptive to the industry. There is still a ton of S30V, S35v, S45V, XHP, knives out there that need to be sold... and the industry doesn't need everyone to stop buying while waiting for their favorite model to come out in Magnacut.
Last edited by DunninLA on Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:49 pm, edited 6 times in total.
DunninLA

Post by DunninLA »

messed up, removed.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

I've been very happy with CTS-204P, M390,CPM-20CV
gooeytek

Post by gooeytek »

I have quite a few S90V knives, and find no need to switch up to Magnacut. That said, the only knife I'll probably have in MC is a custom Santoku I'm having made. I even just had a smaller fixed EDC in S90V commissioned. I'm hoping MC demand will drive the prices down on the knives made with other bladesteels :D
BeggarSo

Post by BeggarSo »

I have two pieces in Magnacut a Spyderco Native Salt Serrated and a Bark River Bravo LT1.

Both see plenty of use.

I have found it to be a superb steel and I am holding off on any more purchases of any brand including Spyderco unless it is in Magnacut.

In other words I completely disagree with the negative feedback presented in this thread.

You name the steel and chances are I have tried it. There is nothing that is as well balanced and does it as well as CPM Magnacut. I for one do not need or have any desire for a steel that has excellent edge retention but will rust. To me a knife is a tool and if the steel is superbly balanced it makes the tool a superior tool.

My last Spyderco purchase was a PM2 in 15V I was shocked by the size of the desiccant bag (Biggest I have ever seen in a Spyderco Box) in the box and the warnings about corrosion.

Made me feel a little like uh yeah I probably need to sell this.

Nothing compares to Magnacut.

Thank you Dr. Thomas,

Thank you Mr. Glesser.
:bug-red-white Those who are wise sharpen their steel to it's chemistry not their beliefs. "BeggarSo" :fortune-cookie
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

"We don't actually need to Magnacut *all* the knives."

But, so far, "we" have hardly Magnacutted any!

Isn't it too early to shut off the tap, before it's been turned on?
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
BeggarSo

Post by BeggarSo »

Bolster wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:58 pm

BINGO! :bug-red
:bug-red-white Those who are wise sharpen their steel to it's chemistry not their beliefs. "BeggarSo" :fortune-cookie
blues

Post by blues »

I can't find anything not to like about a steel that has attributes similar to CPM Cru-Wear with added corrosion resistance.

As my buddy, knife maker Jerry Halfrich, always tells me about the steel he chooses in making a knife...it's about achieving balance.

MagnaCut has it in spades. Just my opinion.

(And it doesn't negate the utility or features of any other knife steel we enjoy. It just provides another excellent option.)
- Retired from the chase -
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I've got a CRK in Magnacut (63-64 hrc) I've sharpened it and put a new edge on it, used it around the warehouse at work for a couple weeks. Honestly, I didn't notice any kind of difference in use or sharpening compared to most other steels. Reprofiled nicely, but most of my knives in various steels tend to do the same.

Folks should be more excited and impressed with these 15V releases over anything in Magnacut, in my opinion.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
SchoonerBum

Post by SchoonerBum »

Of my collection of mostly stainless steels, I've always felt that M390 cuts distinctively different than everything else that I have. I'm not quite sure how to describe it but it's a noticeable difference in how the cut feels compared to another steel in the same knife.

For the past couple of days I've been using my PE Magnacut Native 5, and the Magnacut feels very similar to my M390/20CV Delica/Endela/Enduras when it's cutting.

Corrosion resistance is critical for me, and toughness is really nice to have also. If we in fact have a steel that cuts like M390 but is tougher and is as corrosion proof as LC200N, I'd vote for making everything in Magnacut. :beaming-face
James Y

Post by James Y »

Bolster wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:58 pm

I agree.

I'm also sure there will be plenty of non-Magnacut versions of every knife that comes out in Magnacut. If people don't want them in Magnacut, they won't have to buy the Magnacut versions.

Jim
blues

Post by blues »

M390 does have better edge retention according to Larrin's chart:

Bolster

Post by Bolster »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:49 pm
...I personally don't even check all the fancy statistics and percentages of this and that, that make a steel. I love reading people's reviews after they've used their knives and what they've used to fix any damage and how easy it was for them (though subjective)

Guess I'm respectfully your opposite here. I pay scant attention to a single user's experiences. However if several people experience the same thing, then I will listen -- that's starting to look more like data. And yes, I do check the fancy statistics; if done correctly, they don't have nearly the bias of an individual user, and typically will hold extraneous variables constant, whereas individual anecdotes rarely do.

Case in point: Fixing damage is easy for me; I own a Hapstone with diamond stones. So if I say "Was easy to fix, took me five minutes" you should ignore me; my experience is probably nothing like the guy using brown Sharpmaker rods.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
DunninLA

Post by DunninLA »

blues wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 4:34 pm
M390 does have better edge retention according to Larrin's chart:

Larrin's chart is not for true "edge retention", though that is the term he uses. It is really for "edge abrasion resistance", since it uses CATRA, and all the CATRA machine tells you is resistance to edge abrasion in the absence of impact. Real edge retention includes the impact of the material the knife hits (usually wood) after it cuts through whatever it's cutting through.

Pete's tests show Magnacut keeps its edge longer than M390, by a lot ... it cuts through the rope (edge retention), and then hits into the wood cutting board (impact resistance), which *combined* tells you about true edge retention. The CATRA machine does not combine the two, so it is of limited value, and misleading to boot.

I will say this though... if you always cut things in the middle of the air, with no impact of the blade on anything after the cut, then CATRA seems like a good measurement. But I sure as **** don't cut things in the middle of the air.

Larrin's chart should have Magnacut at 7, possibly 8, if we're talking real world "edge retention", and not the CATRA "edge abrasion resistance" which is what the column in his chart should be named.
Last edited by DunninLA on Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blues

Post by blues »

Well I’m happy that I bought two MagnaCut bladed knives in the past couple of weeks. So, the better they perform the happier I am.