Defenders of Spydieville

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
mikey177

Defenders of Spydieville

Post by mikey177 »

Just wanted to share the small assortment of MBC and related designs that I have acquired to date. I don't have a favorite.

It's been decades since I've trained in any martial art, but I still enjoy trying out different models and trying to understand the philosophy behind why they were made a certain way.

There are older models that I wish would make a comeback, such as the Reverse and Temperance fixed blades. I also haven't tried the Civilian or Matriarch, though I have a serrated Tasman Salt that is great for yardwork.
defensive_folders_2023.jpg
JD Spydo

Re: Defenders of Spydieville

Post by JD Spydo »

mikey177 wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:47 pm
Just wanted to share the small assortment of MBC and related designs that I have acquired to date. I don't have a favorite.

It's been decades since I've trained in any martial art, but I still enjoy trying out different models and trying to understand the philosophy behind why they were made a certain way.

There are older models that I wish would make a comeback, such as the Reverse and Temperance fixed blades. I also haven't tried the Civilian or Matriarch, though I have a serrated Tasman Salt that is great for yardwork.defensive_folders_2023.jpg
The Cruwear Ayoob in the picture all the way to the left isn't a GOLDEN OLDIE as of yet>> actually it's pretty recent compared to those others pictured. But I do like your taste in blades and I also love get acquainted with collectors and users who deeply appreciate past Spyderco models that I still love to this very day. There are so many past models that would be winners with new materials.

My ultimate favorites from past Spyderco models are from what I affectionately refer to as The GOLDEN ERA of Spyders ( 1998-2004). But I also like several models all the way up to 2008 or thereabout. The C-111 Captain and Breeden RESCUE models both come to mind.

I'm in the process at this moment trying to determine a model that would be ideal for the next Sprint Run campaign >> similar to the success we recently had with the newer C-60 Ayoob Cruwear model. Right now I'm leaning toward the JD Smith, C-42 Viele and C-44 Dyad models for consideration. But I'm wide open to suggestions

But I do think we may be on the same page.
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

Thanks, JD!

I only got deeply interested in Spyderco about ten years ago, so I have no hands on experience with the older models. I think that the ones you mentioned are good candidates for a sprint run.

I would personally like to see the Barong come back at some point since its fixed blade progenitor is widely used where I'm from, but other than that, I just enjoy hunting for the older gems that pop up locally from time to time.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

mikey177 wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:53 pm
Thanks, JD!

I only got deeply interested in Spyderco about ten years ago, so I have no hands on experience with the older models. I think that the ones you mentioned are good candidates for a sprint run.

I would personally like to see the Barong come back at some point since its fixed blade progenitor is widely used where I'm from, but other than that, I just enjoy hunting for the older gems that pop up locally from time to time.
Hi Mikey ! What are your thoughts of the Ronin2 fixed blade ? I have been looking at one . Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:20 am
mikey177 wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:53 pm
Thanks, JD!

Hi Mikey ! What are your thoughts of the Ronin2 fixed blade ? I have been looking at one . Dan

Hi, Dan!

The Ronin 2 is okay. I would have preferred the handle to be a little thicker, to provide more control during prolonged use. Though I suppose thinness aids in concealment, as the knife's main purpose is SD and not utility.

The BD1N steel sharpens up nicely. Scale texture is smooth enough to provide a firm grip yet not chaff the skin.

The sheath holds the knife securely and doesn't rattle. I wish it were a fold-over design to reduce its footprint.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Thank you sir ! Appreciate your input . Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

You're welcome, Dan!