Locks

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
User avatar
ZrowsN1s
Member
Posts: 6985
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:08 pm
Location: San Diego, California USA

Re: Locks

Postby ZrowsN1s » Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:35 pm

We need more cbbl. I sincerely hope the popularity of that lock is not being judged on the less appealing 'uncaged' ball bearing lock.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal "Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal

Bemo
Member
Posts: 984
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:00 pm
Location: Boise Idaho

Re: Locks

Postby Bemo » Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:00 pm

Yes to get the thread back on track, I agree I'd love to see more CBBL. I think either a redux of the QBall; the Native, the sage would be awesome. Heck I'd take a look at any new model with a CBBL.

Brant
Member
Posts: 67
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:23 pm

Re: Locks

Postby Brant » Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:10 pm

Does the CBBL add extra width to the overall thickness of the handles?

User avatar
vandelay
Member
Posts: 266
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:00 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Locks

Postby vandelay » Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:14 pm

Brant wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:10 pm
Does the CBBL add extra width to the overall thickness of the handles?
The cage itself is about 3mm wider than the handle, if that's what you're asking. If you're asking whether CBBL requires a thick blade, I doubt it but I'm not sure.

Brant
Member
Posts: 67
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:23 pm

Re: Locks

Postby Brant » Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:22 pm

I’m wondering if it adds thickness to the whole handle or just the operational area, is there any disadvantage to adding this?

TheGiant80
Member
Posts: 503
Joined: Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:12 pm

Re: Locks

Postby TheGiant80 » Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:47 pm

Backlocks have been my favourite for years. Recently though I've been playing with my Manix 2 XL and the CBBL lock is growing on me.

WyoJon
Member
Posts: 188
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:03 am

Re: Locks

Postby WyoJon » Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:44 pm

TheGiant80 wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:47 pm
Backlocks have been my favourite for years. Recently though I've been playing with my Manix 2 XL and the CBBL lock is growing on me.
Those are great. Im interested in the sage 3 bolt lock. Like to see that on an endura

WyoJon
Member
Posts: 188
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:03 am

Re: Locks

Postby WyoJon » Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:44 pm

vandelay wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:14 pm
Brant wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:10 pm
Does the CBBL add extra width to the overall thickness of the handles?
The cage itself is about 3mm wider than the handle, if that's what you're asking. If you're asking whether CBBL requires a thick blade, I doubt it but I'm not sure.
Arent you supposed to be a latex salesman?

WyoJon
Member
Posts: 188
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:03 am

Re: Locks

Postby WyoJon » Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:50 pm

Evil D wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:55 am
Well, if simple and effective were a good reason to not have variety we would have a lot less options in everything in life.
WyoJon wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:47 pm
I do love the spyderco half length lock back. Zero complaints. So then why do we need the compression lock?


I think you'll get a lot of responses about what people like and dislike and why, but I think to answer that question specifically, when Spyderco started making knives they were either paying royalties for patented lock designs or maybe by then the patents for some locks had run out and they were able to use them for free, but they were using someone else's design. The Compression Lock and CBBL are both Spyderco designs, so I would imagine that Sal and Eric and the whole gang just wanted their own designs, and if nothing else making their own design meant they don't have to pay those royalties, which means more profit and then you also gain a proprietary product of your own that you can market and drive sales with. They're also knife makers and knife enthusiasts, they probably just simply enjoyed doing it. Spyderco have been innovating knife concepts since the very first knife they produced, and they wouldn't just stop innovating with thumb holes and pocket clips, they move on to better steels and better ergonomics and eventually they would have come to the lock and saw that even though it's effective, maybe it could be better. In the end even if what they create is only equally effective, again it's their own design, their own marketable product feature, and it's an option that customers may choose and that drives sales.

Then if you're really smart you keep looking for ways to make the tried and true back lock better and better and you keep producing that same lock that you have since the first knife, and you market other locks as being better/stronger/whatever, and after 40 years you have a catalog of knives that people can choose from and people eventually start debating about what is stronger and what is better, when ultimately in the end a knife sale is a knife sale and it doesn't even matter what lock you prefer, as long as you're buying their product. Nearly every company does this, they build a product for everyone so they increase their customer base. How many companies can you think of that make only one item, one way, without any optional features? Cars, shoes, clothes, electronics, even food and drinks, there are companies who make as many options as they can to reach as many customers as they can. If you owned Coke and Pepsi under one bigger parent company, it wouldn't matter to you which was the bigger selling drink because you make money off both.

And man I've gotta stop replying to comments when I first wake up because wow do I ramble but there ya go. They don't make a Compression Lock because it's better than a Back Lock, they do it because it's smart business.
How is that all serrated edge system working out for you?

I carried only a serrated edge atlantic salt for years in college and after. Never once wished I had a plain edge on me. Sold it when I went through a benchmade only phase. Now im back to carrying a tasman salt serrated edge and love it. Ive never seen a knife before that pushing straight down can slice, push cut, and puncture with the tip, all on that same plain of travel. This knife is really something. Slices slashes and stabs with ease. The blade pulls itself right into the cut all the way to the handle, and slices everything to shreds. Makes cardboard a breeze. The h1 steel sharpens so easy.

User avatar
vandelay
Member
Posts: 266
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:00 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Locks

Postby vandelay » Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:01 pm

WyoJon wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:44 pm
vandelay wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:14 pm
Brant wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:10 pm
Does the CBBL add extra width to the overall thickness of the handles?
The cage itself is about 3mm wider than the handle, if that's what you're asking. If you're asking whether CBBL requires a thick blade, I doubt it but I'm not sure.
Arent you supposed to be a latex salesman?
importer/exporter :cheap-sunglasses

User avatar
Wartstein
Member
Posts: 13194
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:06 am
Location: Salzburg, Austria, Europe

Re: Locks

Postby Wartstein » Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:35 pm

Bemo wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:22 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:57 pm
Bemo wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:55 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:00 am


No, I meant that backlocks can be closed with fingers all the time out of the blade path, exactly like comp lock and CBBL.
Just one of quite some ways of operating a backlock, see this short clip I made once (one time done slow, then two times normal speed)

https://streamable.com/j7fjd
Nice video. Suppose if you have rock climber hands or black smith hands that works well.

Absolutely not necessary!

In fact I gifted an ffg Delica to a Lady not too long ago. She does not have "rock climber or black smith hands", but it still took her just about a minute to close the knife consistently with the "back lock finger all the time out of the blade path" method (and it is even a bit harder with a Delica due to its light blade).

To be clear: I find that "fingers all the time out of the blade path" thing completely overhyped and actually not a "thing" at all.

BUT: IF people still want that: Works perfectly well with a backlock too. I think people are just not willing to try four or five times if it feels awkward the first time. Probably another one of those cases where folks hindered by a myth in their minds... this time "backlocks can´t be closed with fingers out of the blade path" (unless one just does it... ;) )
Well sad to say you're young lady has stronger fingers than I. Maybe with a lock that's more broken in than my new Leaf Jumper that might work. I'll have to try some of my other knives.

First and foremost: I did not want to mock you by any means,and am afraid now a little bit that I could have come across like that.
If so: This was not my intention at all, my friend!

Then: That Lady is of course young (no gentleman would ever dare to say otherwise when talking about any lady ;) ), but still 40 years old. She sure is not weak, but also not particularly strong either. She finds it fun to play with folders and wanted to try out for herself what she saw me doing and I was surprised myself a bit how easily and quickly she could do the "back lock fingers out of the blade path method" - just by getting the HANG of it, not by developing or having any special strength or dexterity.

It is really more about technique, believe me!

Again: I don´t think at all that this method is by any means the best or even necessary, just like I personally don´t feel that the fingers out of the blade path thing is of real importance with any other locktype.

I also think though that people have kind of a block in their minds sometimes just from what they constantly hear and read about "how things are", "should be", "always have been"... this prevents from really trying out new stuff or having an open mind and realistic view sometimes.

Another un-related, but stil lock-related example would be the "I don´t trust any linerlock, cause they are too weak" thing...and don´t really have a differenciated view. I mean, yes, a linerlock definitely IS not as strong as other locktypes, just by design, but have we ever really heard of a Millie linerlock failing? Generally and especially in the tasks people use their folders for?

Sounds to me like: "I won´t ever carry a pack that can´t handle 400 pounds"! despite I never carry more than 100 (and can´t carry 400 anyway). AND perhaps take the detriments a super heavy, stiff pack brings
Top three going by pocket-time (update August 22):
- EDC: Stretch 2 XL SE (VG10), Manix 2 LW PE (REX 45) , Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Also Stretch 2 XL SE (VG10); Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N)

User avatar
Wartstein
Member
Posts: 13194
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:06 am
Location: Salzburg, Austria, Europe

Re: Locks

Postby Wartstein » Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:40 pm

Bemo wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:00 pm
Yes to get the thread back on track, I agree I'd love to see more CBBL. I think either a redux of the QBall; the Native, the sage would be awesome. Heck I'd take a look at any new model with a CBBL.

Totally agree! I constantly wonder why Spyderco does not make more knives with the second of their own locks (besides the comp.lock). They certainly will have their reasons, but I´d love to see more CBBL options

(And :I think this thread has always been on track? The initial post of the OP says literally:

" I´d like to hear any thoughts on knife locks anyone else has" ?
Top three going by pocket-time (update August 22):
- EDC: Stretch 2 XL SE (VG10), Manix 2 LW PE (REX 45) , Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Also Stretch 2 XL SE (VG10); Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N)

James Y
Member
Posts: 6915
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:33 am
Location: Southern CA

Re: Locks

Postby James Y » Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:10 am

All of Spyderco's locks are good, just different.

My personal favorites are the back lock, CBBL, and comp lock.

That said, we all have our preferences.

The only liner lock from any manufacturer I really trust is on the Military.

The only frame/integral locks I trust are on my CRK knives.

However, one of my favorite Spyderco knives would fail even the lightest "spine whack test" 100% of the time; my beloved UKPK Salt.

🙂

Jim

Wandering_About
Member
Posts: 1019
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:06 am
Location: Nebraska

Re: Locks

Postby Wandering_About » Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:40 am

All of them seem to work pretty well for me, long as they're made well.
I've never been lost. A bit confused for a month or three maybe, but never lost.

MNOSD member #0035

User avatar
huyfishin
Member
Posts: 177
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2022 1:25 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: Locks

Postby huyfishin » Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:02 pm

they are all great. At first i thought i liked compression lock cuz the fun fidget factor. I thought the back locks were boring. But now I prefer back locks. The lock up is solid and the loud snap when it locks is so satisfying.
I Play With Salt Knives / instagram huyfishin
Image

AverageKCGuy
Member
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:27 am

Re: Locks

Postby AverageKCGuy » Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:06 pm

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:00 am

No, I meant that backlocks can be closed with fingers all the time out of the blade path, exactly like comp lock and CBBL.
Just one of quite some ways of operating a backlock, see this short clip I made once (one time done slow, then two times normal speed)

https://streamable.com/j7fjd
Why does everything have to be a "flick"? I've been using Spyderco back locks for 25+ years and while yes, I have had my fingers bitten, if you just slow down you can "break" it from being fully open with your body/leg, move your fingers out of the way and then fully close it, again using your body/leg. It's how I found to be easiest/safest/quickest when I got my first.

I've gotten to the point that I've done this so many times I don't even do the step part anymore. I break it, move my fingers and fully close in one motion at this point.

Here's a video of what I started out doing. Slowed down of course. https://streamable.com/g68r8t

User avatar
Evil D
Member
Posts: 26670
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:48 pm
Location: Northern KY

Re: Locks

Postby Evil D » Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:15 pm

WyoJon wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:50 pm

How is that all serrated edge system working out for you?

I carried only a serrated edge atlantic salt for years in college and after. Never once wished I had a plain edge on me. Sold it when I went through a benchmade only phase. Now im back to carrying a tasman salt serrated edge and love it. Ive never seen a knife before that pushing straight down can slice, push cut, and puncture with the tip, all on that same plain of travel. This knife is really something. Slices slashes and stabs with ease. The blade pulls itself right into the cut all the way to the handle, and slices everything to shreds. Makes cardboard a breeze. The h1 steel sharpens so easy.


Going great, it's practically all I buy anymore unless I really want a model that is only offered in PE. I'm actually hoping we see a SE Manix 2 in a steel I like coming out soon.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David

User avatar
Wartstein
Member
Posts: 13194
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:06 am
Location: Salzburg, Austria, Europe

Re: Locks

Postby Wartstein » Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:48 pm

AverageKCGuy wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:06 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:00 am

No, I meant that backlocks can be closed with fingers all the time out of the blade path, exactly like comp lock and CBBL.
Just one of quite some ways of operating a backlock, see this short clip I made once (one time done slow, then two times normal speed)

https://streamable.com/j7fjd
Why does everything have to be a "flick"? I've been using Spyderco back locks for 25+ years and while yes, I have had my fingers bitten.....

It "does not have to be a flick" at all for me.

The vid just shows how easily a backlock can be closed with fingers out of the bladepath for those who feel the need to do so. THIS particular method requires a "flick".

I personally never understood the need for "fi gers out of the blade path", never got bitten, and with backlocks mostly use THIS method (vid 1 below) "flick", and like this method (vid 2) with the CBBL for example, both without any flick

https://streamable.com/myzlt

https://streamable.com/79jhhr
Top three going by pocket-time (update August 22):
- EDC: Stretch 2 XL SE (VG10), Manix 2 LW PE (REX 45) , Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Also Stretch 2 XL SE (VG10); Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N)

User avatar
vandelay
Member
Posts: 266
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:00 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Locks

Postby vandelay » Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:29 pm

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:48 pm
AverageKCGuy wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:06 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:00 am

No, I meant that backlocks can be closed with fingers all the time out of the blade path, exactly like comp lock and CBBL.
Just one of quite some ways of operating a backlock, see this short clip I made once (one time done slow, then two times normal speed)

https://streamable.com/j7fjd
Why does everything have to be a "flick"? I've been using Spyderco back locks for 25+ years and while yes, I have had my fingers bitten.....

It "does not have to be a flick" at all for me.

The vid just shows how easily a backlock can be closed with fingers out of the bladepath for those who feel the need to do so. THIS particular method requires a "flick".

I personally never understood the need for "fi gers out of the blade path", never got bitten, and with backlocks mostly use THIS method (vid 1 below) "flick", and like this method (vid 2) with the CBBL for example, both without any flick

https://streamable.com/myzlt

https://streamable.com/79jhhr
I got bitten once doing that when I was being careless. If you rotate the blade 90 degrees before moving your fingers out of the way, it's not that hard for your middle finger to hit the blade if you're not careful with how you're pulling it back. I don't think I'll do it again now that I'm experienced with back locks, but I'm still more cautious with back locks than other mechanisms.

FWIW I've also been bitten lightly by my para 3 when I was flicking it closed because my finger slipped a bit. I have trouble getting a proper grip on comp locks sometimes which makes them feel a bit less safe to close than they could be.
I've never hurt myself on a CBBL but the cage doesn't give me enough grip which makes it feel like it's going to fly out of my hands sometimes when I close it.

I don't find fingers in the blade path to be a problem on liner/frame locks with flipper tabs though. I've had those for a long time and you basically can't move your finger into the blade because the tab immediately hits it.

User avatar
RamZar
Member
Posts: 3622
Joined: Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:44 am
Location: SoCal, USA

Re: Locks

Postby RamZar » Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:52 pm

“Variety is the Spice of Life”.

My personal preference is Frame Locks (RIL) be they Titanium (Stovepipe) or Stainless Steel (Foundry).
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
  • There are 3 things that fail when you get old. The first is your memory and I forgot the other two. - Sal (I forgot his last name)


Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Atomicunderware, Bradley, G-Primo73, John0341, Justonemoreknaf, ladybug93, Lucid9110, SchoonerBum, Spydie_Flick, TkoK83Spy and 59 guests