Have you found "the one?"

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Have you found "the one?"

Yes
41%
No
37%
Other
22%

Total votes: 76

JSumm

Re: Have you found "the one?"

Post by JSumm »

I'm envious of those who have found the one. I do like variety and different features, so not sure I'll ever have the one. The closest I can get to the one is the Native Chief. Wouldn't really change anything about it. Other favorites typically have something I would like changed, nothing bad just personal preference.

Edit - the new Stretch XL in Cruwear may give the Chief a run for it's money, but I really like the linerless G10 on the Chief. Sturdy, and no crevasses in the stainless steel to rust. Easy to clean out too. So I guess it is still the Chief.😂
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

No, but close!

I’ve said it many times: a Peel-ply Carbon Fiber Sheepsfoot Combo Edge Caribbean.

I’d easily buy 10!
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
James Y

Post by James Y »

"THE one? Not yet. Though I rotate the most among a few models. I'll concentrate more on one for awhile, then my attentions will switch and I'll focus on another.

I'm a bit too promiscuous with my knives to have found the one and only that I'd settle down with exclusively. Don't hate the player, hate the game!

🙂

Jim
spydergoat

Post by spydergoat »

Not yet, but I think it's just my personality that makes me want to investigate other knives. I have several models that do everything I need and spark joy, but am always curious if a slightly different geometry or steel would be even better.
bleasure

Post by bleasure »

there are minor things i'd change about the wolfspyder, but it would be the last one i'd give up. it does everything i want it to well, has yet to fail at anything i've thrown at it, is rock solid, easy to carry, looks fantastic, a great color (tho the knife joker lil native may have an edge on shade of green...), was my first 'fancy' folder, and was a very meaningful gift. plus it's got maybe the best name of all the spydies

that said, i am genuinely shocked by how much i like this GB2 i just got. it is the best in-hand feeling folder i own, period, and i find myself using it constantly, even for food. the design is just.. it begs to be used, and excels at everything. it's close to perfect, i'm blown away.

i think to test my conclusions spyderco should consider releasing a sprint run of, idk, the lil nilakka or a new jester in forest green and, say, cruwear/m4/4v/k390/s90v/z-max...
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Overall, the GB2 gives everything a run for it's money Bleasure.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
benben

Post by benben »

Alright vivi, I’ve given this a lot of thought and the best I can do is “the two!”

My Green serrated Pacific Salt LC200N and my Gray diamond patterned G-10 Manix 2 sprint in Cru-Wear.

Those two cover just about everything I need a knife for, plus they make me look like a sharpening genius! ;)

I really like my new Ayoob sprint but it’ll never be my favorite knife, even way back when you checked out my old original Ayoob. Great knives and I’m glad I have them both but they will never take the place of the two mentioned above!
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Voted "other" because I didn't find "the one", I found "the three". Stretch, preferably the original size version, has been my #1 large folder since it came out about this time 18 years ago. Kiwi in pretty much any flavor, production or customized, has been my #1 mid size folder since '03. Burgundy micarta Jester has been my go-to key chain knife since '03.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Roefisher

Post by Roefisher »

I voted yes because I'd be happy with one knife and that's the G-10 Lil' Temperance. I took a shine to the original green G-10 model and would say from the knives I own now that it's easily my favourite. Reasons for choosing this one? Well, the deep scales for grip and comfort - the large (but never in the way) finger guard for safety - the compression lock for ease of use and strength and, finally, the blade length & leaf shape is perfect for my edc. Oh, I nearly forgot one of the most important positives for me with this knife - the cutting edge up close to the handle which is great for two extremes - for fine, or more powerful, work.
“You just made me have a bowel movement in my britches, Garrett. I ain't gonna never forgive you for this.”
Skywalker

Post by Skywalker »

Answered "yes" - K390 ffg Endura

If I lived somewhere a little wetter I might change to S30V or 20CV; somewhere with more restrictive laws might change to a Delica

But for where I am now, yeah, this is it 👍

endura3

Post by endura3 »

Unsurprisingly, I'd have to go with the Endura 3.

(also lumping in the Pac Salt 1 because I use them interchangeably and IMO they're essentially different versions of the same knife).

My first spyderco back in the day was a Delica 3, and I fell in love with the neutral handle shape, volcano grip texturing, simple, lightweight construction, and pointy tip. Shortly thereafter, I got my first Endura 3 and found the handle design resonated with me even more in the larger platform.

The knife that I currently carry and see no need to ever really switch out is a full SE Endura 3 in VG10 with the boye dent, from the early 2000s. The knife is perfect for me, and the serrations can handle anything I ever need to cut.

I actually prefer these early "pointier" serrations because it feels like the teeth catch material really easily and sort of draw it into the belly of the serrations - it feels like the knife wants[\i] to cut. If the serrations are sharp, I have no issues getting hung up or tearing softer materials. If they're dull it does become more of a problem relative to the contemporary shallower SE pattern/depth though.

The only other "downside" of the knife is the pinned construction, but it's also nice to never need to fidget with loose screws and perfecting the torque of the pivot and lockbar screws. Cause you can't! I figure if I ever wear it out and develop side to side play that's bothersome, I'll throw this Endura 3 blade and lockbar in a spare pac salt 1 handle I have solely for this hypothetical purpose. So I think it's safe to say this is "the one."
electro-static

Post by electro-static »

Skywalker wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:35 am
Answered "yes" - K390 ffg Endura

If I lived somewhere a little wetter I might change to S30V or 20CV; somewhere with more restrictive laws might change to a Delica

But for where I am now, yeah, this is it 👍

I gotta agree with you there, I bought another one during the MAP holiday because I ruined the behind the edge thickness of my original one.
vivi

Post by vivi »

K390 Endura seems like a very practical choice if you don't require a high degree of corrosion resistance. Thin, light, easy to carry, great geometry and killer edge retention. I should pick one up some day.
:unicorn
vivi

Post by vivi »

benben wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:20 am
Alright vivi, I’ve given this a lot of thought and the best I can do is “the two!”

My Green serrated Pacific Salt LC200N and my Gray diamond patterned G-10 Manix 2 sprint in Cru-Wear.

Those two cover just about everything I need a knife for, plus they make me look like a sharpening genius! ;)

I really like my new Ayoob sprint but it’ll never be my favorite knife, even way back when you checked out my old original Ayoob. Great knives and I’m glad I have them both but they will never take the place of the two mentioned above!
I understand how you feel with the Ayoob. I have some models that I really, really like, but they would never be my "one." As much as I love my Yojumbo, it's a touch bulky in the pocket and the tip is a bit thin for 100% confidence in all conditions, hence I went with my Pacific Salt

Like you I could be happy with a Manix (XL) and a Pacific. That's where I'd start if I somehow lost my collection and had to start over.
:unicorn
40mm

Post by 40mm »

Here is my new “one”.
Attachments
97AF8F80-3E50-472C-901B-78D671B2B3DA.jpeg
bacidath

Post by bacidath »

99 c05gs love it
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

Manix 2 lw magnacut when it’s finally in in my hands…
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

vivi wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:01 am
benben wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:20 am

I understand how you feel with the Ayoob. I have some models that I really, really like, but they would never be my "one." As much as I love my Yojumbo, it's a touch bulky in the pocket and the tip is a bit thin for 100% confidence in all conditions, hence I went with my Pacific Salt

Like you I could be happy with a Manix (XL) and a Pacific. That's where I'd start if I somehow lost my collection and had to start over.
Yeah, I hear ya, but which M2XL and which Pacific? ;)
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

40mm wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:57 am
Here is my new “one”.
Same. Mine rides clipless in my slacks M-F and even on the weekend I usually pick it over larger clipped knives