Spyderco FB 01/02 Bill Moran

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Meadowlark

Spyderco FB 01/02 Bill Moran

Post by Meadowlark »

This knife has managed to escape my knowledge for, apparently, decades.

I have no idea how long the endura, delica, police et al. family has been in constant production but this Moran fixed blade must be in the running as well.

Might have to pick up one of the two models.

Anyone know much about them or their longevity in the lineup?
Meadowlark

Re: Spyderco FB 01/02 Bill Moran

Post by Meadowlark »

Just found this link on the fb01 spydiwiki page.

Pretty neat.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=87185
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Iconic FB . I have been searching for a blacked out model . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Meadowlark

Post by Meadowlark »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 3:20 pm
Iconic FB . I have been searching for a blacked out model . MG2
I think it's pretty neat that it's one of their first fixed blades and it's been in constant production for 25 years.
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

Had an earlier one that was before they started putting Spyder holes in fixed blades. I butchered at least a couple deer with it, worked very well (drop point model). Sadly I can't find it, thought I kept it but it might have gotten sold somewhere along the line.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Thread needs photo...

Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

I now own the pointier one and it is nice.
I think it’s a functional knife aside from the cool history and I plan to use it a lot.
It works well for me to carry in my front pocket and the sheath’s clip can be adjusted to make that possible.
The handle is very comfortable for me.
I’m really into Spyderco’s fixed blades and this is one of the ones that I’d really want to see more variations of.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
Meadowlark

Post by Meadowlark »

The handle looks great. I may buy one for work. I've never carried a fixed blade though I own one or two.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I just recently got the Moran Drop Point (FB02). I wanted at least one for the collection but now that I have one I want the other! :grin-squint

It’s a great knife and probably a bit underrated these days. I agree with Cl1ff, the handle is comfortable but for me it’s short in hand. It fills my hand well but my hand nearly covers the entire handle unless I’m choking up with the “choil.” Again, it’s still comfortable in hand though and I’m looking forward to using it more while camping in the spring.
-Nick :bug-red
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

I've wanted a Moran for over a year. It should make an excellent backpacking knife, almost 4" blade, only 3 oz, but I don't know if that weight is with the sheath...probably not? I keep thinking they'll update the steel. I have so much VG-10 already, I really don't need any more.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Hey, All:

The Moran Fixed Blade is, in my opinion, one of the coolest knives we make. If you don't know who Bill Moran was, you owe it to yourself to learn a bit about him and his contributions to the knife culture. He was a true legend and much of the bladesmithing culture we enjoy today is thanks to his influence.

The fact that Sal and Spyderco were able to collaborate with Bill on a production knife is extraordinary. That we continue to offer his designs 25 years later is an honor and an enduring tribute to a cutlery icon.

From a practical perpective, the Spyderco Morans faithfully translate his Utility Featherlight design into a production knife.

The shape of the handle is incredibly comfortable in the hand. The combination of the FRN and Kraton inserts makes it even more comfortable and secure. Interestingly, the taper and shape at the front of the handle also make it one of the most Boltaron-friendly fixed-blade designs we make. Its fit and retention in the sheath is excellent.

An interesting bit of history on the FB02 Drop Point: Shortly after I joined Spyderco as a full-time employee in 2009, we were contacted by an Air National Guard unit. They had designed their aircrew survival vests around a specific knife from another manufacturer. That manufacturer then discontinued that knife. The ANG unit first asked if we could replicate the design for them, which, of course, we wouldn't. The unit then explained that a number of those knives had broken in use and they needed to replace them to make sure their crewmembers were fully equipped. My response was, "If the knives broke in use, why would you want to make the same mistake again?"

I asked the ANG unit to send me the attachment point where the knife was mounted to the vest. It was a custom-sewn zippered pouch with a webbing anchor on it for the original knife's spring clip. I compared the pouch real estate to the fixed-blade knives we made at the time and the FB02 was a perfect fit. I then sent the unit a couple of samples of the knife to field test. They gave them to their survival instructors, who took them out in the field and put them to use. They were blown away by the knife's light weight, durability, and amazing cutting ability. Their only concerns were that it was satin finished and therefore a light-discipline concern (shiny blades reflect light and reveal your position) and it didn't have a lanyard hole.

The black-bladed FB02 and the addition of the lanyard hole to the FB01 and FB02 handles were direct results of this process. I also designed a Boltaron adapter plate that replaced the sheath's G-Clip to mount seamlessly onto the ANG's issue pouch. The unit loved it. They shared it with several other ANG units, who also replaced their old knives with the black-bladed FB02.

Like so many things in the military, things eventually changed and I believe the unit adopted a new vest design--and a different knife. It was still a very fun and challenging project and an interesting footnote in the history of a very cool knife. I'm sure the effort would have made Bill proud...

Stay safe,

Mike
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

Bolster wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:20 pm
I've wanted a Moran for over a year. It should make an excellent backpacking knife, almost 4" blade, only 3 oz, but I don't know if that weight is with the sheath...probably not? I keep thinking they'll update the steel. I have so much VG-10 already, I really don't need any more.
I don't have a scale, but it feels like it probably weighs about 5 to 5.5 ounces with the sheath and clip when I compare it to my other knives.
Carrying it in my front pocket with some pretty light and loose shorts it is very comfortable. It's actually less obstructive to my movement than my iPhone SE in the same pair of shorts, just because of the position it sits at while the clip holds the knife in place.
Honestly, I chamfered the inside edges of the sheath because they were slightly rubbing and roughing up the rubber inserts on both sides, which is really just a cosmetic thing, and now the sheath is perfect for me.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Hey, All:

The 3.0 oz weight is for the knife itself. That's the same for both the FB01 and FB02. The sheaths weight 2.2 and 2.3 oz, respectively, so the total weights are 5.2 and 5.3.

That info should appear in the tech specs on our website and used to. For some reason, it currently does not. We'll fix that, but in the meantime, please refer to the digital version of our catalog for complete fixed-blade specs.

Stay safe,

Mike
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Mike,

Thanx for sharing.

sal
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Amazing that this knife held up so well and they replaced it. Soldiers are gear junkies and if it can be had, even if it isn't any better or as good, then get the new cool stuff (speaking from experience).
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050