Classiest Spyderco Knife?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Foehammer

Re: Classiest Spyderco Knife?

Post by Foehammer »

ladybug93 wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:52 pm
all of these suggestions are too bulky. you need an ikuchi.

That is a model I did not know existed until just now, but I already want one! Bonus points for comp lock as well.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

~Joe

MNOSD member #0045
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Chaparral CF or Birdseye Maple for something smaller.

I've carried a PM2 and GB2 in my suit, but I was carrying this one today to the office and was just thinking it's the one going in my suit next time...

GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Spyderco needs to do a knife with some Devin Thomas Damascus in a nice full linered, white micarta scaled lockback.

Maybe something like the one eyed jack, minus the card suits
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Carbon fiber Civilian
Carbon fiber Harpy
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

If size isn't too big an issue: Kapara is quite classy, and the Gayle Bradley is super classy if you ask me. GB just looks great with the CF scales, hollow grind, and swedge. Kapara is a very cool model and the contoured CF scales are really nice looking. The Kapara also carries extremely well. I need to carry mine more!
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
spydergoat

Post by spydergoat »

The One-Eyed Jack would be my ideal Spyderco gentleman's knife, but it's prohibitively expensive for me to get on the secondhand market.

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/detail ... rade-/1076
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Foehammer wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:49 pm
ladybug93 wrote:

That is a model I did not know existed until just now, but I already want one! Bonus points for comp lock as well.
when closed, it's the length of a delica, but only half as wide, and it's got a more discrete wire clip that allows it to ride deeper also. it's a real winner in the pocket.

the flipper isn't for soft hands, but i like it a lot and my hands aren't that rough. the comp lock access is a little tighter than what you're probably used to with other models, but it's manageable. check out some videos of it. it's a really great knife and i'll probably be carrying it quite a bit when i change careers next year and have to dress nicer.

i'm happy to answer any questions you have about it. it's definitely worth a look for your situation.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Currently available, I’d echo most of what has already been recommended -
• Swayback
• One of the Chaparral models
• Damasteel Urban Sprint Run
• SpyOpera (either the regular production model or Damasteel sprint when it becomes available)
• Ikuchi
• Kapara

Of course there are even more options if you’re willing to look for some discontinued models, like -
• Lil Nilakka
• Memory
• Kiwi series
• Etc… So Many more models could be listed!

• Des Horn
-Nick :bug-red
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

My vote for something a bit smaller: Fluted CF/S90V Native.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
Foehammer

Post by Foehammer »

ladybug93 wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:18 pm
Foehammer wrote:
ladybug93 wrote:

when closed, it's the length of a delica, but only half as wide, and it's got a more discrete wire clip that allows it to ride deeper also. it's a real winner in the pocket.

the flipper isn't for soft hands, but i like it a lot and my hands aren't that rough. the comp lock access is a little tighter than what you're probably used to with other models, but it's manageable. check out some videos of it. it's a really great knife and i'll probably be carrying it quite a bit when i change careers next year and have to dress nicer.

i'm happy to answer any questions you have about it. it's definitely worth a look for your situation.
Thanks for the info! How ergonomic is the handle for extended tasks? (Extended in my usage means 20 minutes max lol) I know it’s a gentleman’s knife for the most part but it would be a shame not to put that beautiful slicey s30v blade to work at least a little bit.

Blades Canada has this in stock for a pretty fair price, considering how crazy the knife prices have been going up lately. I may just have to pick this up. 😁 Darn but you guys are enablers…

Edit: and it’s got a sharpening choil!!

~Joe

MNOSD member #0045
Foehammer

Post by Foehammer »

Mushroom wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:19 pm
Currently available, I’d echo most of what has already been recommended -
• Swayback
• One of the Chaparral models
• Damasteel Urban Sprint Run
• SpyOpera (either the regular production model or Damasteel sprint when it becomes available)
• Ikuchi
• Kapara

Of course there are even more options if you’re willing to look for some discontinued models, like -
• Lil Nilakka
• Memory
• Kiwi series
• Etc… So Many more models could be listed!

• Des Horn
Thanks for the suggestions, Kaparra is the only one besides the Ikuchi that appeals to me, but it’s ridiculously expensive at Blades Canada.

Edit: just checked US prices and it seems it’s just an overall expensive knife lol. Very nice piece definitely though.

~Joe

MNOSD member #0045
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

The Kopa series is definitely the classiest looking small gents folder spydercos released. The bolsters really add a beautiful appearance imo. It’s a shame it seems so underrated.
:bug-red-white
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Foehammer wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:53 pm
ladybug93 wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:18 pm
Foehammer wrote:
ladybug93 wrote:

Thanks for the info! How ergonomic is the handle for extended tasks? (Extended in my usage means 20 minutes max lol) I know it’s a gentleman’s knife for the most part but it would be a shame not to put that beautiful slicey s30v blade to work at least a little bit.

Blades Canada has this in stock for a pretty fair price, considering how crazy the knife prices have been going up lately. I may just have to pick this up. 😁 Darn but you guys are enablers…

Edit: and it’s got a sharpening choil!!
as a gentleman's knife, it's not really designed for extended and/or hard use. what kind of work would you be doing over 20+ minutes? the ikuchi is a slicey blade, so it's great for use as a cutting tool. it's not a bushcraft knife, but it can handle a day at the office with no issues.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

A Chaparral is the perfect classy dress knife, I think. The Lil Native is not bad, though.

I'm still waiting on a blue pearl Kirinite Chaparral.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Currently available, Damasteel Ivory G-10 Urban, S90V Fluted Carbon Fiber Native 5, or the san mai Damascus Pakkawood Delica from KC.

If you're considering larger knives, Kapara, Hap40 Paka Wood Endela or Police4 from KC.

There's still some Bolstered Jigged Bone Delicas and Enduras out there but they're pricey.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
CDEP

Post by CDEP »

The Native 5 Fluted CF in S90V is a good choice. The Chaps are smaller and less pricey. I have the Sun & Moon for this purpose, and a Birdseye Maple version on backorder.

On the larger side the Kapara, Watu, Patadese, and Smock are all pretty impressive looking. The Swayback, too.

It's a little Steampunk, but I sometimes carry the Viele Phoenix Sprint as a dress knife, and they are still available. National Knives has them for 220.00.
Brian
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:25 pm
The Kopa series is definitely the classiest looking small gents folder spydercos released. The bolsters really add a beautiful appearance imo. It’s a shame it seems so underrated.
Underrated?? I wouldn't think so. Try finding the complete series on the second hand market for less than an arm and a leg.. :)
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

Rubicon the most classie knife spyderco ever made.
Other options are the fluted Ti Native.
Centofante Vesuvius blue pua shell.
mark greenman

Post by mark greenman »

Manbug G10.

It's both aesthetically classy, and I think just as important, it's sized appropriately for use in a 'classy' setting.

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

"Currently available" is a bummer of a limitation for this, because there are so many options for this question that are sadly no longer made, like the equivalent of an entire catalog worth of options vs a couple pages by today's standards. I think I would have to look into what's available on secondary and try to find a reasonable price on a Kopa/Kiwi or maybe a One Eyed Jack.

Another thing you may want to consider if you're up for it is modifying an existing model, especially if you find something you like in G10, they can almost always be sanded down and polished and it really changes their aesthetic a lot.

Ouroboros for example

You can polish any G10 but can only contour some. Think about some models you like, especially ones offered in different colors, some of them would look amazing polished.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David