Goo on the Edge - How to Manage

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Michael Janich

Re: Goo on the Edge - How to Manage

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear KITROBASKIN:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
Albertaboyscott

Post by Albertaboyscott »

G96 gun treatment takes it off very quickly. I'll let you sort out how to safely deal with your edge
KITROBASKIN

Re: Goo on the Edge - How to ManageI would

Post by KITROBASKIN »

Back when the Delica’s bigger sister came out so many years ago, the hay bale strings seemed to get cut just right before the serrated edge made contact, so fast. That Endura never bit me as long as I didn’t touch the edge. Cleaning tape skudge off might be considered disrespect by the blade. Two episodes of bloodletting and I’m done… You may have a more forgiving Spyderco, or perhaps an easygoing blade; More likely patience and skill.
mark greenman

Post by mark greenman »

Zippo fluid works wonders. Been using it for 20 years now to remove tape residue from my knives. Container is also optimal for the purpose.

Squirt some on a paper towel, wipe down the blade, and then do another squirt pulling the edge away from the cloth to get the last bit off.

JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Fly Fishing Rick wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:54 pm
Bolster wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:49 pm
Seems I frequently have adhesive goo on the edges of the Spyders I carry and use. I usually try to wipe it away with isopropyl alcohol (or acetone if necessary) on a Kleenex, but have cut myself more than once doing that. There must be a better way to de-goo the edge. If there is, please share.
Lightly strop on a cloth/paper soaked in acetone is my go-to
Acetone is truly the ultimate hot solvent that can melt virtually anything pertaining to tape and sticker adhesives as well as tar, roofing cement and a wide variety of gunk that your blade might pick up. I've also found that lacquer thinner is really a hot solvent that will cut through almost anything that you can gunk your blade up with as well.

Albeit with that said I've found that in 90% of the time a strong 91% Isopropyl rubbing alcohol does a superb job with a lot less toxicity and virtually no danger in using it. You do not under any circumstances want to work with solvents like Acetone, Lacquer thinner or most any other hot solvent without wearing protective gloves. Industrial strength solvents are potentially dangerous solvents that you want to be extremely careful with. Never expose your skin to any of those.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Bolster wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:10 pm
Mushroom wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 3:58 pm
It’s better to cut a rag than to cut your hand.

So I discovered.

Thanks everybody for the range of solutions. I'm going to borrow my wife's toothbrush as my special "goo off the edge" tool. She probably won't mind.

:grimace
Discarded toothbrushes are so handy for working on a wide array of cleaning jobs. I always keep at least a dozen of them on hand in my toolboxes and around the kitchen. And toothbrushes don't leave abrasive marks on most blade steels and they can get into tiny crevices and other surfaces hard to access.
vivi

Post by vivi »

What an interesting thread. Three pages of solvents and concerns about cutting oneself simply wiping off a tool with a rag, something I do over 300 times a shift.

I guess I'm the only one that simply uses hot water and a towel. Dunno what kinda goo ya'll are dealing with but that does it for me with tape residue from boxes, food gunk, blood and guts, etc.
:unicorn
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

abbazaba wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:58 pm
I didn't believe in Goo Gone until I started taking photos of my knives. Still haven't found anything that works as well.

Goo gone is amazing stuff. I go through many bottles a year getting stickers and sticker residue off things. For knives I typically start with alcohol, then use goo gone if there is anything the alcohol isn't getting.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
sup3rnaut

Post by sup3rnaut »

I always keep a stock of alcohol prep pads, (very handy for lots of things), and I usually just use one of those to clean a blade. It's important to remember to wipe from the spine towards the edge, then lift up before attempting to reposition for the next wipe. If ya do so, ya shouldn't get cut. ;)
RLR

Post by RLR »

Peanut butter. Paper towel. Wipe away from edge. Food safe, metal safe, and you can snack while you work. I am really trying to reduce chemical use anywhere I can.

In a jam, if it’s a working knife, lighter fluid can’t be beat.
KITROBASKIN

Post by KITROBASKIN »

Michael Janich wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:49 am
Dear KITROBASKIN:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
Thanks much! And thank you for your work here.