Spyderco Siren CF/S90v Sprint…In The Wild!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
yowzer

Re: Spyderco Siren CF/S90v Sprint…In The Wild!

Post by yowzer »

I just got the normal Siren (Been on my wish list for a while, got bumped up thanks to being on the d/c list) and now I'm seriously thinking about this one too, if only to get a less pants shredding handle...
phaust

Post by phaust »

yowzer wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:48 am
I just got the normal Siren (Been on my wish list for a while, got bumped up thanks to being on the d/c list) and now I'm seriously thinking about this one too, if only to get a less pants shredding handle...
The G10 does soften with carry FWIW. I didn't notice how much mine had gotten less grippy until picking up a discounted one for a spare, and it's only maybe six months old.

The CF is the standard Spyderco peel ply CF, if you're familiar with that. If not, it's more a fine texture that wears smoother quite fast; here are a couple close ups to try to compare:

I saw those in stock at some stores offering an extra 20% for BF, so this may be the cheapest chance to get it, however, if you're thinking about it. That's about what I paid a few weeks back, but it took a lot more work to find then.
yowzer

Post by yowzer »

phaust wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 12:09 pm
The CF is the standard Spyderco peel ply CF, if you're familiar with that. If not, it's more a fine texture that wears smoother quite fast; here are a couple close ups to try to compare:
Actually, no. I don't have any peel-ply CF knives; just smooth and the woven texture on the Taiwanese CF/G-10 laminate (Which is one of my favorite handle materials). The pictures help a lot; thanks!
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Siren Sprint Run Satin S90V Carbon Fiber Back = $195.00 (44% off MSRP) instead of the usual $241.50.

https://www.gpknives.com/spyderco-siren ... 47cfp.html
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
matt009au

Post by matt009au »

Been a while since I last posted, but felt compelled to commend Lance and Spyderco on a great knife in the Siren. A real shame it has been discontinued.

Tight finances have mostly kept me out of the knife collecting game in recent years, but I picked up the regular siren a while back to take fishing. Funny thing was that it also kicked my trusty old cqc7 out of my pocket and became my regular edc as well. Light, excellent in hand, carries discrete with that black wire clip, looks schmick, kinda feels old school in a buck 110 meets 90s/2000s Spyderco way that appeals to me, and the steel performs admirably and is easy to touch up.

I do feel it should be considered as a regular edc knife, and I do wonder if being pigeon holed as a ‘salt’ limited it’s broad appeal. I wouldn’t say no to a smaller buck 112 sized version as well...

Really hoping that one of the s90 models might still be hanging around when the December bonus comes in...
phaust

Post by phaust »

Some internal observations if anyone is curious.... I went to swap cf scales onto the lc200n blade and internals only to find they do not match up. I wanted to keep all the hardware with their original blades in case there are differences in metals used (a magnet said nothing is titanium in the lc200n that isn't in the s90v versions at least), but differences mean having to keep the lockbar and backspacer with the scales with which they came.

For background, my lc200n model is post CQI. I don't have the box so can't give the date there but can say it was a post-CQI date. The blade is marked 4/2020, so that was older stock when it got put together.

I went to put everything together with just a scales swap (again, that meaning all other hardware kept together with the blade they came with), but when I put the CF/lc200n together first, I found the blade swung freely with the lock bar not pressing it at all. Curious! Took it apart to look, and sure enough the stop pin holes are in different spots relative the scales and the lock bar.

Here are some photos with everything swapped needed to fix it. Check out the lock bar at the stop pin.

Here are some somewhat sloppy measurements showing the stop pins are in different positions in the scales. They are a couple mm apart.

I'm interested to see if not keeping the blade and lock bar together will have a meaningful difference in wear over time. There is room to wear on each, and I've never had a lock back wear out, so ultimately I'm not too worried about it. There isn't a ton of wear inducing friction with a back lock I'd say.

Tl;dr version: If swapping, check your stop pin position. If they differ, keep at least the lock bar with the scales with which it came.

Edit: Update, I pulled out the recent lc200n I purchased as a backup. The stop pin position matches that of the sprint. The difference must be by age and not something different with the sprint.
soulspy

Post by soulspy »

That's really weird. There was a lock geometry redesign on the OG Siren not that long ago.

Did you ever recognize that you original Siren had the lock back that allowed the blade to press backwards a tiny bit if you pushed with the tip into something hard like a cutting board? You may have an OG and then the fixed geometry Siren, which is what I assume the sprint would also have.
phaust

Post by phaust »

soulspy wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:22 am
That's really weird. There was a lock geometry redesign on the OG Siren not that long ago.

Did you ever recognize that you original Siren had the lock back that allowed the blade to press backwards a tiny bit if you pushed with the tip into something hard like a cutting board? You may have an OG and then the fixed geometry Siren, which is what I assume the sprint would also have.
At least per the box code it was made this year (post CQI changes). I made sure when I got it.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Any person knows for certain if the sprint benefited from the CQI on the LC200N model?

I found a good deal on a sprint run Siren and wanted to know 😀
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Late to the party, didn't read till this thread had been bumped recently. Good reviews by Surfing and Vivi, and I'm puzzled why I'm not quite sold on this knife...I should be, there's much to admire. I like slim, trim designs. What's holding me back is the distance between my index finger and the start of the blade. I often use the heel of the blade for precise work and like to choke up near the blade to gain control. I'm not asking for a choil, no. Just...not such a large guard area. I could be talked out of this objection for the sake of some S90V however. 3.4 oz is nice and light...anything sub-3.0 is eligible to go backpacking with me.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

Bolster wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 11:15 am
Good reviews by Surfing and Vivi, and I'm puzzled why I'm not quite sold on this knife...I should be, there's much to admire. I like slim, trim designs. What's holding me back is the distance between my index finger and the start of the blade. I often use the heel of the blade for precise work and like to choke up near the blade to gain control. I'm not asking for a choil, no. Just...not such a large guard area. I could be talked out of this objection for the sake of some S90V however. 3.4 oz is nice and light...anything sub-3.0 is eligible to go backpacking with me.
I find that that there is enough room to use the "ricasso" as place to choke up on the knife (including the forward expansion of the gaurd, so not just the unsharpened part of the blade).
There's certainly more opportunity to do so than my Endela allows and it is more comfortable for me. I guess keep in mind that it's not as secure as a dedicated choil, of course, and that I am fairly comfortable with my fingers sometimes being near or on the edge while cutting.

For reference, my hands are are not quite as large as Vivi's, however they totally max out the grip area of the Siren without my pinky riding onto the top of the handle's "posteroventral" hump.

I decided it would be worth a shot since it is being discontinued. Mine is not perfect, and things like the guard aren't in line with my usual preferences, but the design is well considered and I was surprised by how much I like it as the tool it was designed to be.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
R100

Post by R100 »

Bolster wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 11:15 am
Late to the party, didn't read till this thread had been bumped recently. Good reviews by Surfing and Vivi, and I'm puzzled why I'm not quite sold on this knife...I should be, there's much to admire. I like slim, trim designs. What's holding me back is the distance between my index finger and the start of the blade. I often use the heel of the blade for precise work and like to choke up near the blade to gain control. I'm not asking for a choil, no. Just...not such a large guard area. I could be talked out of this objection for the sake of some S90V however. 3.4 oz is nice and light...anything sub-3.0 is eligible to go backpacking with me.
I thought the same thing about the large guard area but caved for the sprint version. Turns out this is a total non-issue for me and it's one of the comfiest handles ever. As Cliff says the guard is actually pretty good to choke up on if you feel the need too. I actually like the design so much I have ordered the discontinued LC200N version as well which will replace the Pac Salt that lives in my bike jacket. I love the Pac Salt but the Siren feels so much more solid and the blade shape makes for a better outdoor type knife in my opinion. Much better game/roadkill skinner and processor and fish knife than the Pac Salt. It's definitely a knife that would keep any normal person (i.e. not a crazy knife afi like me) totally satisfied if it was the only knife they owned. Hats off to Lance, it's an outstanding design.

Dan
TheGiant80

Post by TheGiant80 »

I'm bumping this thread in the hopes a few people will chime in with their experiences. This variant has been out for a little while now; what are your thoughts on it folks?
MFlovejp

Post by MFlovejp »

I had the regular Siren before buying the sprint, so I already liked the ergonomics of it. Very easy to use a pinch grip up on the blade for precision work. I like having a bit of a guard to keep fingers from sliding. The sprint run is just as good as the regular one in terms of fit and finish, but the CF scales add a nice bit of luxury to it.

In general, I prefer steels that are easier to sharpen- S90V is not the hardest to sharpen, but still takes some special equipment for me. Takes a real nice toothy edge though finished at 300grit.

Overall I love this sprint run- it’s high quality and such a great design! Wouldn’t hesitate to buy again.
Current Carries: Military 4V, Stretch XL Cruwear, Sage 1 CF, Siren Sprint S90V, ZDP Delica
Wishlist: Cruwear Military, Super Blue Caly 3.5
Favorite Steels: CTS-XHP, Cruwear, ZDP-189, LC200N