The Lil' Temperance 3 Lightweight: A comprehensive review

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
aicolainen

Re: The Lil' Temperance 3 Lightweight: A comprehensive review

Post by aicolainen »

Michal O wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:39 am
Stock in Shaman has 3,7 mm, tappers to 1,2 mm near tip, where bevels meet. LT3 has 4 mm stock, but it tappers on grind from ~3,5 mm to ~0,9 mm.
Thank you for the measurements.

Still not sure if there’s enough here to make it relevant for my use, but this helps tilt the scale in the right direction.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

p_atrick wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:29 pm
To me the profile of this knife and the Leaf Jumper are very similar.
I agree. I think it was no mistake the Reveal has them side-by-side. I hope Sal will share what was on his mind with these releases.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

kennethsime wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:06 pm
For those who have held one: is it kind of like a mini Shaman? Zulu, your review makes it sound like a very comfortable knife in hand.

I ask because the Shaman is a knife that I certainly do appreciate, even though one could argue that it's just a somewhat portly PM2.
It is very comfortable in hand, but I suppose the contoured G10 of the Shaman is more comfortable during extended cutting. It kind of feels like the Shaman, though... how I would describe it is that the regular forward grip on the Lil' Temperance 3 Lightweight feels like holding the Shaman in the choked up forward grip (the palm swell on the LT3LW is slightly further back than on the Shaman).
Cl1ff wrote: Serrated VG10 has worked impressively well for me and I highly doubt that s30v would offer much advantage in that configuration.
Yeah, I'm definitely in for the SE version when it drops. I like a low grit PE for a work knife in S30V, K390, S110V, and S90V but prefer SE if it's in VG-10, LC200N, BD1N, H1, or 8Cr13MoV.
Michal O wrote: So it's still not drop shut like PM2?

I had to remove two of four washers in my G10 version to make it smooth without blade play and big gaps between stop pin and scale. But to close it in one take I need still rapid wirst movement.
The action in the LT3LW is very much improved over the LT3, but it's not on the level of Golden's Compression Locks.
wrdwrght wrote: Nice review, ZD. I have and love the G10 version.

Your review tempts me but I see no confirmation that this version is lined. Its greater weight gives me hope. Is it indeed lined?
It is lined. It has thicker liners than the ones on the PM2 or Para 3, by my eye.
elena86 wrote:Thickness behind the edge please !
Don't have calipers on me right now, but if I had to guess, BTE thickness out-of-the-box isn't that far off from a Native 5 (I've also reprofiled my production/review sample, so any BTE measurements I take wouldn't be representative of the factory BTE thickness)
vivi

Post by vivi »

kennethsime wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:06 pm
Very thoughtful review, Zulu - thanks very much.

I'll admit, the unique appeal of the Lil' Temperance is still somewhat of a mystery to me - but I think a good part of that may be because I've never held one. From pictures alone, it looks like a heck of a lot of handle with not much blade - and I do see how that might come in useful for MBC.

For those who have held one: is it kind of like a mini Shaman? Zulu, your review makes it sound like a very comfortable knife in hand.

I ask because the Shaman is a knife that I certainly do appreciate, even though one could argue that it's just a somewhat portly PM2.
Much different feel than a Shaman. The Lil Temp has just enough handle that it feels like a full sized grip even in my mitts. The Shaman has a longer handle even without using the index choil. It's also more blade heavy.

The Lil Temp is a cool design. It feels both beefy and compact. It's no larger than it has to be to offer a full sized grip for most any hand size. I've also always liked how the edge comes all the way back to the handle.

I carried the Lil Temp 1 in leaf for a few months. I've handled the 3 in G10 but not the lightweight. I'm tempted to pick up the LW version. The original had some of my favorite ergonomics of any folder.
:unicorn
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Good review Zulu, this one is on my list.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:00 pm
Good review Zulu, this one is on my list.
Thanks!
vivi wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 3:56 pm
The Lil Temp is a cool design. It feels both beefy and compact. It's no larger than it has to be to offer a full sized grip for most any hand size. I've also always liked how the edge comes all the way back to the handle.
My favourite aspect of the LT3LW design (and the LT design in general) is just how ergonomic it is... and I'm using the term in the more formal sense, i.e., how systems or equipment facilitate efficiency & reduce discomfort in a work setting or situation: There's a thumb ramp if you need it, and it's substantial enough to double as a dorsal hand guard, but it isn't so tall that it gets in the way of placing one's thumb on the blade spine. There's a lot of handle real estate to provide a comfortable grip even for bigger hands but none of it feels gratuitous, and despite its anatomical handle profile, it is neutral enough to feel comfortable & intuitive to use in different grips.

And the blade has just a great all-around geometry: the thick blade stock inspires confidence, but the tall, full flat grind means it is still slicey. And while there's a continuous upward sweep to the edge, the blade is almost a spear point, so slicing with the knife tilted slightly forward can generate leverage & keep the edge "in the cut" through the length of the blade, acting almost like a Wharncliffe.
Michal O

Post by Michal O »

Thumb ramp reminds me that one in Massad Ayoob. Compared to C60 it's visible that LT3 is small big knife with authority.
Current collection: Lil Temperance G10, Shaman, Lil Native, Massad Ayoob cruwear, Smock, Street Beat, Street Bowie, Para 3, PM2 purple G10 cruwear, Canis, Rhino, Endura 4 K390, Watu, Kapara, Amalgam, Sliverax, Police 4 se K390, Police 4 pe K390, Khukuri, Barong, Ulize.
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

Here is some pictures of my beloved 1 gen.

I do miss the handle shape of the old model. It looks so nice. And is good in hand offcourse. :grin-smiling-eyes
Michal O

Post by Michal O »

Also blade was looking better with more pointy tip.
Current collection: Lil Temperance G10, Shaman, Lil Native, Massad Ayoob cruwear, Smock, Street Beat, Street Bowie, Para 3, PM2 purple G10 cruwear, Canis, Rhino, Endura 4 K390, Watu, Kapara, Amalgam, Sliverax, Police 4 se K390, Police 4 pe K390, Khukuri, Barong, Ulize.
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

Nice review Zulu!

The LT3 is a favorite of mine, I will likely buy the "lightweight" version as well.
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
phaust

Post by phaust »

Great comprehensive and fair review. Staying off my list, but I love that handle shape
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

apollo wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:46 am

I do miss the handle shape of the old model. It looks so nice. And is good in hand offcourse. :grin-smiling-eyes
I do hope to find one of these some day. I have a 2, which you will know has the same fantastic handle. But I am partial to the leaf…
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

DSH007 wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:27 am
Nice review Zulu!

The LT3 is a favorite of mine, I will likely buy the "lightweight" version as well.
Thanks!

I really, really like Sal's core design conceit behind the LT3: a sub-3" MBC-rated SD folder that is also a great general-purpose/work knife. Right now, it's the only Spyderco in production that can fill that niche (I am so looking forward to the Micro-Jimbo & Mini P'kal joining it in that category in the future).
phaust wrote: Great comprehensive and fair review. Staying off my list, but I love that handle shape
Thanks! If you dig the handle on the LT3LW, I recommend checking out the RockJumper (and its upcoming variant, the LeafJumper). The general handle shape is very similar, if a bit more stretched & not quite as thick (I think... I don't have a RockJumper on hand right now). The Alcyone also has a similar shape (it's not as tall or as thick & it's got a slab-sided feel due to the G10 handle scales, but the general profile is close).
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Sal recently said he was carrying the one. Does that mean we can expect it to hit retailers sooner rather than later? I know these are hints can take some time.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi P_atrick,

They are in QC. The plain edge. shouldn't be too long.

sal
elena86

Post by elena86 »

THIS is my beloved Lil Temp in 440V. I am sorry but the new gen Lil Temp can't replace this beauty.

Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Ferruginous

Post by Ferruginous »

I'm looking forward to this one. I remember when the G10 version came out in 2016, I was interested but never purchased one. Had I known the defensive design inputs I definitely would have bought one to try.

I like that they kept the divot in the middle of the handle, it looks like an aid to transitioning grips I've seen in knives by Bram Frank and similar.

Does the new one have the bushing pivot, or a traditional pivot? Are there PB washers, or are they incorporated into the handle scales like on other lightweights? Hidden steel frame under the FRN, or just where needed for the lock side?

Edited to add:

I haven't been interested in serrations in a while, mostly because my user knives (Military or UKPK) have choils and I don't like serrations with choils because if I cut too far material ends up stuck in the choil when cutting. Being choil-less, this design seems like it would be great serrated. Especially with the VG10 steel.

Will the LT3 lightweight be offered with serrations?
Last edited by Ferruginous on Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

wrdwrght wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:08 pm
apollo wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:46 am

I do hope to find one of these some day. I have a 2, which you will know has the same fantastic handle. But I am partial to the leaf…
You mean you have the Rhino ?

For the newer members. The original Lil temperance had a brother called the Rhino.
Here is mine.
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

I have absolutely no insider knowledge, so take the below with a grain of salt.
Ferruginous wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:35 am
Does the new one have the bushing pivot, or a traditional pivot? Are there PB washers, or are they incorporated into the handle scales like on other lightweights? Hidden steel frame under the FRN, or just where needed for the lock side?
Not sure about the pivot. I believe that, earlier in the thread, hints were dropped that it did not have a pivot like the PM2. The Reveal says "liners" plural, so I am guessing washers on both sides.
Ferruginous wrote:
Yes, it will come in serrations. Sal said the PE ones are in for QC right now, so they will drop first.
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

Ferruginous wrote:

The LT3LW has a conventional pivot, but the fitment is better all around than in the original LT3, so the action is a lot better. As you can see in the picture below, it has phosphor bronze washers and full liners (I haven't measured them, but the liners—or at least the lock spring—look slightly thicker than those on the Para 3 & PM2, and might be the same thickness as that on the Shaman). And yes, a SpyderEdge version is due for release some time soon after the PE's retail debut.
20221005_163747.jpg
Edited to add: That's not rust on the liners, BTW, just accumulated gunk from work use.
Last edited by zuludelta on Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.