C60 Massad Ayoob- 3 year review w/ 20+ pics

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
tanrichguy

Couldn't have said it any better

Post by tanrichguy »

Mark,
A really excellent, well argued review! It's obvious you have enjoyed a lot of "pocket time" with the Ayoob.
As most of you must know by now, this is my favorite Spydie. While I do not have nearly as much experience with it, I concur with Mark as to it's merits and limitations.
With all due respect to KaliGMan (a lot of respect-I've watched your vids), I think the Ayoob is a superior tool for those whose skills with a blade are less than finely honed.
One more small point: the "look" of the Ayoob. the only time I have ever had to draw a knife in a SD situation I was carrying Ayoob when someone attempted to grab a girlfriends purse and was wrestling her. When he heard the snap of the blade being opened and saw the blade, he ran like a track star.
An updated version with more handle traction would be incredible! No steel update necessary.

Thanks Mark. Awesome post.
Spyderco C60P Massad Ayoob avatar courtesy of Dialex.
MCM

Post by MCM »

G-10 Spint is in order.

Leave everything else the same. (THINNESS INCLUDED) ;)

Ok, maybe 100 in S90v in addition to the 600 in VG10. :D
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
MCM

G-10 Spint is in order.

Post by MCM »

G-10 Spint is in order.

Leave everything else the same. (THINNESS INCLUDED) ;)

Ok, maybe 100 in S90v in addition to the 600 in VG10. :D
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Very nice review Mark! Like KaliGman the Ayoob doesn't work well for me because of my fighting style. It is an awesome slicing machine...even in SE as proven by my Meat cutting tests. I have always tested my knives for SD potential by doing Meat cutting test on every knife I own and carry. It's only a guideline for performance, and only part of the equation and that is the truth even for me. There are so many different variables that go into selecting a good self-defense knife, too much to mention in this post. I love Wharnies and Recurved blade designed knives and even a slightly curved shallow hawkbill on occasion. I like a good fixed blade over any folder of any type. I think your fighting style has much to do with what will work for you. For example a Boxer might best be served by a good push dagger. My years of Chinese Kung Fu training with a pair of double edge daggers make me super comfortable with double edged daggers or double edged Sub-Hilt Fighters. Do they cut as deep as the Yojimbo, heck no, but it is what I handle the best. My FMA Arnis Lanada, training works perfect with my Rock Salt. You starting to get my drift?
You have to be comfortable with your knife whatever it is no matter how deep it cuts in meat tests, and you have to train hard in it's use. Every knife has it's limitations as does every weapon you place in your hands restricts the empty hand capability of your defensive actions. You can only do what the weapon is capable of doing. For instance you can't shoot anyone with a knife and you can't cut or thrust into someone with your gun. Any weapon you choose to fight with will limit your empty hand capabilities. In most Martial Arts you learn empty hands first then move on to different weapons...I wonder why that is....unless it's a weapons based art like Arnis De Mano, Fencing, or a particular style of knife fighting, this is the way it is.
But there is a reason for that, what if you can't access said weapon in real time life and death situation. You better have some empty hand skills to ward off the attacker, to create space between the two of you so you can access your defensive tool, whatever that might be. I can do plenty of damage to the human body with just a PE Ladybug or One inch blade Kiridashi, but that is because of my years of experience and training in various Martial Arts. Fighting style will determine for the most part what type of knife you will be most comfortable with.....Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
BDNX

Post by BDNX »

sprint sprint sprint sprint............
My Spydies: Sharpmaker • Tasman Salt • Saver Salt • Ladybug Hawkbill Salt • Salt 1 • Blue/Gray Meerkat • Burgundy Meerkat • Manix2 Ltwt Translucent Blue • Manix2 Ltwt Blacked Out • Manix2 Backlock • Ladybug 1 Red • Blue UKPK • Tusk • Blue Lava • Dog Tag • Bug • Honeybee • Grasshopper • Stepped Ti Chaparral • McBee • AEB-L Urban
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

As always, I get a lot of info from your posts Doc. Nice to have a lot of knowledgeable guys like you and Gman, upon whose knowledge and experience we can draw on. Thanks.
mark greenman

Post by mark greenman »

Hey guys, I really appreciate the comments. I've been thinking about doing this review for a long time now, so I'm glad very happy you guys have found it informative. And, needless to say, I would be thrilled at the prospect of a sprint run!

ClusterFlux wrote:. I agree though, a smaller, sprint version ( maybe around 3-3.5").
Hey, I think your wish has already been granted- the blade is 3 5/8" long, with 3 3/8" cutting edge. ;) With the knife open or closed, its pretty much the exact size as an Endura.

KaliGman
, and Doc, as always its awesome to get your perspective on SD knives. Both of you have been training for longer than I've been alive, so I'm always interested to here what you have to say.

Post by 5150 »

Yep, this was a great review mark greenman, no doubt about it. You have supported your preference very well.
And the Ayoob is a classic, feels great in my hand, feels great in pocket with it's thin profile, and certainly stands out in a crowd which it really did when it was initially introduced many years back.
I would certainly buy one if a sprint run came along. :)
SPYDERCO doesn't blend...and i like it!
JD Spydo

Re: C60 Massad Ayoob- 3 year review w/ 20+ pics

Post by JD Spydo »

I just thought for the fun of it I would go ahead and pull up this old thread of of the C-60 Ayoob of Mark Greenman's that I accidentally stumbled onto while doing a web search to find more SE versions of the Cruwear Ayoob Sprint Run.

It is an excellent review he put together and I think all of us C-60 Ayoob fans should all take a look at it now. It has some great input by Doc Snubnose as well. How timely!! And how could I have missed this great thread? Oh well I'm only 12 years late I suppose :yawn

I think it's fair to say that a lot of the stuff that Mark Greenman commented on this old thread is still very timely and relevant for the new C-60 Ayoob Cruwear Sprint ( circa 2022) version as well. OK folks enjoy!!
JD Spydo

Re: C60 Massad Ayoob- 3 year review w/ 20+ pics

Post by JD Spydo »

Well I pulled up this old thread of Mark Greenman's yesterday thinking that a lot of C-60 Ayoob fans would love to check it out.

It's not often that I pull up really old threads but this one really caught my eye. The inner circle following for the Ayoob model has been pretty constant over the years. I personally think that the blade is extremely useful for a wide range of cutting chores. Get one while you can.
JD Spydo

Re:

Post by JD Spydo »

mark greenman wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:48 am
In conclusion, after 3 years of carrying the C60 Massad Ayoob, I can say that it is my favorite knife. It works well for any conceivable situation that I am likely to be in, and it looks great doing it. While the design has flaws, these are easily overcome with a few Mods.

In short, the Ayoob rocks!

For more information:
http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... =meat+test
Meat test
http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... =meat+test
Sprint thread!
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... p?t=437803
Yes this is the conclusion I came to as well. But like Mark says you've simply got to carry it and use it to fully realize just how great of a folder the C-60 Ayoob is ( and in both edge types too).

Even though the C-60 Ayoob was initially designed and intended as a "self defense" type blade in the early 2000s I still make the case that it's one of the very best Spyderco EDC folders ever made for a variety of reasons. And now with a Cruwear blade this is even a better blade yet.

For all you fans of the C-60 Ayoob please check out the contents of this old thread. A lot of stuff said that few folks were ever aware of.