Sal, the most iconic Spyderco folder deserves a sprint !

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JRinFL

Re: Sal, the most iconic Spyderco folder deserves a sprint !

Post by JRinFL »

My only old school Police is a used uncoated aluminum model. It is very light and scratches like nothing else. There would be soooo many complaints these days if one of these came with the tiniest scratch from the factory. Yab is correct, the tufram model is the best compromise between aluminum and titanium. It will still scratch, so many would still fill the forum with complaints.

I don’t dislike aluminum, but titanium feels so much better in hand to me.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Titanium is also one of those rare metals that doesn't really get cold. Those that are blessed with Renaud's really like titanium as a metal scale option.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

a ti scale spy27 se police would be seriously hard to turn down. seems like the quintessential spyderco.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Cowboyfromhell

Post by Cowboyfromhell »

I love my ss full serrated police!...Im in for one !
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

ladybug93 wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 5:21 pm
a ti scale spy27 se police would be seriously hard to turn down. seems like the quintessential spyderco.
The Titanium ATS-34 SE Police carried an MSRP of $295.95 thirty years ago. I imagine a $600 price tag would make it a lot easier to turn down.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

yablanowitz wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:33 pm
ladybug93 wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 5:21 pm
The Titanium ATS-34 SE Police carried an MSRP of $295.95 thirty years ago. I imagine a $600 price tag would make it a lot easier to turn down.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
akapennypincher

Post by akapennypincher »

sal wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:18 am
Mi Marius,

Interesting idea. I'll watch the thread.

Actually, we have retooled the original Police model as it will be going to screw construction. So a Tuffram coated aluminum serrated Police with SPY27 blade might be an interesting Sprint. Though we'd probably make both plain and serrated versions.

sal
Retooling is costly so I would guess that if you do a Sprint, there will also be regular production run to make the retooling cost effective❓
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

The retooling was done for the regular production model. A Sprint would just be a bonus for us.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

sal wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:25 pm
Hi Basko,

Welcome to our forum.

Hey Jack.

It was parked due to the new tooling of the Police. Also the P4 got my attention and I moved on it. Not sure at what stage of development it's in now?

I printed out my current design project list last night; I have 41 design projects of my own in-the-works. I think one of my "flaws" is that I try to do too many things, much to the detriment of my wife and family. I'm working on trying to fix that.

sal
Yeah, I figured it had been shelved when I saw the screw construction in the new catalog. Kind of a shame, though. I just saw a fake one go for $175 on eBay, even with a warning in the description saying it might not be genuine. Makes me think there might be a market for the real thing.

As for the project list, that's the curse of creativity. Easier by far to cross the start line than the finish line, but better than doing neither.
Michal O

Post by Michal O »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:25 am
Unfortunately I think we few who actually still like steel handles are just that...very few in number. I'll even say in most cases I don't like metal handles but the standard Police is such an icon that I can't imagine it any other way. I would definitely be interested in blade steel variants but this one seems ultra unlikely.

What's funny to me is the popularity of titanium handles vs any other "metal handles". It's not so much a performance issue because in your hand they're pretty much the same apart from weight, so it really just comes down to the cool factor of titanium vs boring old stainless steel or aluminum.
More about finish. I had SS Police, sometimes I regret I got rid of it, but blade play was horrible. I wonder if it still works. It had sanded handle. Different feel, different knife. Almost nobody is doing titanium handles with slippery satin finish.

Old pic. Someone did for me sanding, I did blade mod with ferric chloride.

Im going to buy new SS screwed Police, maybe someone will made brass scales, maybe I will. Fu*k weight. ;)
Current collection: Lil Temperance G10, Shaman, Lil Native, Massad Ayoob cruwear, Smock, Street Beat, Street Bowie, Para 3, PM2 purple G10 cruwear, Canis, Rhino, Endura 4 K390, Watu, Kapara, Amalgam, Sliverax, Police 4 se K390, Police 4 pe K390, Khukuri, Barong, Ulize.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Michal O wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:16 am
Evil D wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:25 am
Unfortunately I think we few who actually still like steel handles are just that...very few in number. I'll even say in most cases I don't like metal handles but the standard Police is such an icon that I can't imagine it any other way. I would definitely be interested in blade steel variants but this one seems ultra unlikely.

What's funny to me is the popularity of titanium handles vs any other "metal handles". It's not so much a performance issue because in your hand they're pretty much the same apart from weight, so it really just comes down to the cool factor of titanium vs boring old stainless steel or aluminum.
More about finish. I had SS Police, sometimes I regret I got rid of it, but blade play was horrible. I wonder if it still works. It had sanded handle. Different feel, different knife. Almost nobody is doing titanium handles with slippery satin finish.

Old pic. Someone did for me sanding, I did blade mod with ferric chloride.

Im going to buy new SS screwed Police, maybe someone will made brass scales, maybe I will. Fu*k weight. ;)

I dunno, they're all slippery unless they're machined with some kind of texture. I still think it's just a cool factor, plus titanium can be anodized.

My stainless Police is one of the tightest pivots I own, easily top 3 of any back lock I've handled.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Michal O

Post by Michal O »

Mine had up/down lock rock on level of OTF knife. Long time before any mods, to be clear. Handle after sanding had nice texture and warm feel just like titanium. Stainless steel can be heat colored too.
Current collection: Lil Temperance G10, Shaman, Lil Native, Massad Ayoob cruwear, Smock, Street Beat, Street Bowie, Para 3, PM2 purple G10 cruwear, Canis, Rhino, Endura 4 K390, Watu, Kapara, Amalgam, Sliverax, Police 4 se K390, Police 4 pe K390, Khukuri, Barong, Ulize.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Michal O wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:47 am
Mine had up/down lock rock on level of OTF knife. Long time before any mods, to be clear. Handle after sanding had nice texture and warm feel just like titanium. Stainless steel can be heat colored too.
Not a problem I've had with any of mine, but I don't have a statistically meaningful sample.

Frozenspyder

Post by Frozenspyder »

I didn't realize the original Police was going to screw construction. I've wanted an SS Police for years but always put it off because it was pinned. Looks like I've got another one to add to my wish list.