First Spyderco / HD for hard use?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
riverjunkie91

First Spyderco / HD for hard use?

Post by riverjunkie91 »

Hi All,
Been debating on trying a Spyderco for a real long time, the big hold ups have been aesthetics and brand loyalty. Hoping I can line out what I generally like and you guys can point me in the right direction. Below are my general preferances and uses.

I generally am a flipper guy and like knives that are very fast and easy to deploy / close one handed. Which means from what I've tried I generally prefer a frame / liner lock, but axis locks have been okay (never tried a compression lock). Im generally a ZT guy and like them for flipper,American made,heft and mostly metal scales. Ibprefer a heaftier and bigger knife. My two favorite knife models are the 0223 and the 0393Glf as example. I returned a BM 940 with g10 scales because I hated how light it was.

Im pretty hard use on my knives and work them. No such thing as a pocket queen. Example is I used my 0393 to cut open 60 bags of concrete one day. But mostly I use my knifes in a piercing / vertical prying manner. I work in the hose industry cutting all manners of rubber and pvc, so say on a large bore hose I may be piercing through 1/4" thick rubber or PVC and then really pushing downwards (vertical prying?) To get the cut started /open the cut. (Sturdy lockup needed). Same day I might also hit steel braid or copper wire while cutting through another hose. Something else that happens frequently is kind of like batoning PVC (not exactly but not sure how to better describe) basically smacking a semi hard PVC (not quite pvc pipe hardness) to get it to crack.

lastly I really really want to try a M4 steel. I've come to find that not a lot of options are available.... But Ive ran across a dlc coated M4 shaman and from my research the shaman is supposed to be a HD knife. Tbh it's not the most beautiful knife in my eyes, id prefer something more like a native chief or pm2, but even if I found one in M4 I'm afraid I'd snap the tip eventually.

So does the shaman fill the HD knife, heft, ease of deployment/one handed close and M4 fit the abusive nature?

Sorry in advance for the long winded / jumbled post.

So what say you guys, what would be a good model for my uses?

Also before anyone says box knife I fricken hate them and just won't use them.

Thank you in advance.
Michael Janich

Re: First Spyderco / HD for hard use?

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear riverjunkie91:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

It almost sounds like an Advocate would work for you. Unfortunately it was discontinued a few years ago.

Just grab the m4 Shaman that is currently available. Its not a flipper, but Spydieflicking is just as fun. The Shaman will take whatever you throw at it and has great ergos.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Yep, sounds like that Shaman would fill your needs just fine. I'd be shocked if you snapped the tip on that.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Both the PM2 and the Shaman are great options. Both are very durable, and depending one what you mean by "hard use," they're both up to the challenge. Both are fun to flick around, too, although the PM2 is faster because the blade is lighter.

The DLC/M4/Micarta Shaman at Blade HQ is a fantastic option. I would go ahead and jump on it now if you're at all interested - it won't be around forever.

Whatever you decide on, I'd recommend any sort of vertical prying with your knives. Knives are meant for cutting, not prying - ask me how I know. I started carrying a Lynch NW Titanium Prybar about two years ago and use it at least as often as my knife most days. 100% Recommended.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
vivi

Post by vivi »

m4 manix xl sounds like precisely what you are after.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=m4 ... 4084.l1313

here I compare the Manix XL to the Shaman. It would be a good read for you.

viewtopic.php?t=89067
:unicorn
riverjunkie91

Post by riverjunkie91 »

Thank you all for the replies and confirming my thoughts on the shaman. Think I will take the plunge and give it a try.
riverjunkie91

Post by riverjunkie91 »

vivi wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:50 am

viewtopic.php?t=89067
That manix xl in M4, has better looks and specs to my eyes. I like that it has a slightly longer blade on it and am interested in the axis (whatever it is) type of lock. Seems to fit all my wants / needs. But I ain't paying those ebay prices to try one out.
Kind of ot but I there another good reliable source to buy used knives?
Thanks
vivi

Post by vivi »

riverjunkie91 wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:08 pm
vivi wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:50 am

viewtopic.php?t=89067
That manix xl in M4, has better looks and specs to my eyes. I like that it has a slightly longer blade on it and am interested in the axis (whatever it is) type of lock. Seems to fit all my wants / needs. But I ain't paying those ebay prices to try one out.
Kind of ot but I there another good reliable source to buy used knives?
Thanks
https://old.reddit.com/r/knife_swap

https://old.reddit.com/r/spydercoswap

blade forums has a section where you can buy sell trade, but I think it requires a paid membership and the mods there are kind of questionable.

You could try messaging one of the ebay guys and asking for a more reasonable price. I've seen plenty sell for about $220 which is close to their original price.

The standard S30V version is no slouch, and in DLC is close to rust proof in typical situations.

This model just seems like a good fit for what you're after. The lock is pretty similar to an axis lock in that you can simply pull it back and swing the blade open or closed.
:unicorn
Giygas

Post by Giygas »

Nice to see someone else that appreciates the 0223. It doesn't get much recognition, at least not positive...

There's been a ton of good recommendations already, but I just wanna add the Advocate. It's a titanium frame lock flipper in M4. You're definitely not gonna break the tip, either. Here it is compared to a 0223:

Currently testing: M398, D3, SLD-Magic
Favorites: 10V, s90v
Wishlist: S290, Vancron, S125V, K890
17 Spydies, 14 steels
13 Maxace, 9 steels

https://instagram.com/cnyknifenut
https://youtube.com/@CNYKnifeNerd
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

Manix XL not much more the say since you want m4 as a steel.
If that steel would not be important i would suggest either the Original c95 Backlock Manix or the shempp tuff.
riverjunkie91

Post by riverjunkie91 »

Giygas wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:17 am
Nice to see someone else that appreciates the 0223. It doesn't get much recognition, at least not positive...

There's been a ton of good recommendations already, but I just wanna add the Advocate. It's a titanium frame lock flipper in M4. You're definitely not gonna break the tip, either. Here it is compared to a 0223:

Yes I really like the 0223, when I first started looking at it I googled 0223 reviews or something to that effect and came upon various forum posts hating the design / cut out in the blade. I think it is a awesome knife in both design and execution. But then again I'm not buying knives based upon what others think. I but knives based upon personal aesthetics, USA made and blade steel. Back to the holes / cutouts,The holes in the blade haven't taken away any strength compared to any of my other knives in real world use. I really do use my knifes for abusive applications,not just cutting envelopes or cardboard.