Sharpening S90V on Sharpmaker?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
NickShabazz

Re: Sharpening S90V on Sharpmaker?

Post by NickShabazz »

As others have said, the key is to remember that the Sharpmaker should really be called the Sharpkeeper. If you take care of the edge, with regular fine stone touchups, you'll go far longer without needing any serious work. And for that serious work, when the time comes, go diamond/CBN or go home.
Mourning the Slysz Bowie and loving the rest of Spyderco's gems. Check out my reviews at https://www.youtube.com/c/nickshabazz!
bearfacedkiller

Re: Evil D

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Evil D wrote:It's probably all in my head but I always use my UF rods. I also can't seem to get an edge anywhere near as sharp as some of you guys seem to get off the brown rods. But, if I do a few passes on the fine and ultra fine it gets me there.
While I do always try to share my experiences with sharpening and what works for me I realize that in the end there is more than one way to do it.

This brings us to the golden rule of sharpening. If what you are doing is getting you the results you want then keep doing it. In the end, results are results. ;)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
dlecomte4@gmail.com

Post by dlecomte4@gmail.com »

Hi I have the Native Chief in S90V. I'd like to properly maintain a sharp edge on the knife, but I don't need to shave with it, and I definitely don't want to spend hours sharpening it. Here is my question. What do y'all recommend for someone like me, who simply wants to maintain a sharp working edge? Are there fool-proof systems for me , like a diamond honing rod or a chef's choice product?
mpc2

Post by mpc2 »

dlecomte4@gmail.com wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:33 pm
Hi I have the Native Chief in S90V. I'd like to properly maintain a sharp edge on the knife, but I don't need to shave with it, and I definitely don't want to spend hours sharpening it. Here is my question. What do y'all recommend for someone like me, who simply wants to maintain a sharp working edge? Are there fool-proof systems for me , like a diamond honing rod or a chef's choice product?
I use the DMT Diafold coarse/fine. Works very for me with these kinds of steels.
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

Old thread but I am looking for some Sharpmaker advice. I just purchased the basic Sharpmaker system and a Crucarta PM2.

1. What angel sure I use on the rods to match the factory edge, 15 or 20? It will be used for EDC.
2. Is the CBN or Diamond rods the better purchase? I don't plan to reprofile with it but taking small chips out would be helpful.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
vivi

Post by vivi »

not every spyderco comes ground at the same angle. try 15, and if it doesn't hit the apex try 20.
:unicorn
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I thought this was already discussed and answered in the sharpening thread.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick