Quick Endura Praise

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Eli Chaps

Quick Endura Praise

Post by Eli Chaps »

I've given my son in law a few Spydies over the years to include an engraved H1 Dragonfly that lives in his tackle box and a Delica that sees general use but the first one was a blue handled Endura.

He works in flooring and used it a lot to cut carpet, linoleum, etc. until he snapped the clip off and stripped the holes. But he by no means gave up on the knife. He just repurposed it to his outdoor/hunting knife.

This morning I received this pic:

His text read,

"Got a big doe last night. This thing is a field dressing and skinning machine. It's done four deer now."

Thanks for making great knives that work Sal. As you say, from the edge out. :smlling-eyes
JSumm

Re: Quick Endura Praise

Post by JSumm »

Love, love, love, the Endura! Great design by the man himself.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
MFlovejp

Post by MFlovejp »

I’ve had Pac Salts, but only recently got my first true Endura, a ZDP example. Something about this blade and handle shape just makes it such an amazing folder. What a classic!
Current Carries: Military 4V, Stretch XL Cruwear, Sage 1 CF, Siren Sprint S90V, ZDP Delica
Wishlist: Cruwear Military, Super Blue Caly 3.5
Favorite Steels: CTS-XHP, Cruwear, ZDP-189, LC200N
James Y

Post by James Y »

Thanks for sharing, Eli. I really enjoy these kinds of posts.

Jim
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

The Endura is a stone cold classic, a real no-nonsense cutting tool. The ZDP-189 version has been a mainstay in my work knife rotation for years, and I could realistically stick with it as my only work knife if I had to (fortunately, I don't have to).
on_the_edge

Post by on_the_edge »

Eli, what steel on that baby? Perhaps it might be worth cross-posting in the Spyderco for field dressing thread. Nothing like real-world experience and observations to answer that OP's question.
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

on_the_edge wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 6:29 pm
Eli, what steel on that baby? Perhaps it might be worth cross-posting in the Spyderco for field dressing thread. Nothing like real-world experience and observations to answer that OP's question.
Standard VG10.

It looks like a link was posted to that thread you mentioned.

The Seki models are far too underrated in general. Excellent profiles, good steels, solid back locks and functional scales.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

After I file down that first finger bump, I love the Endura. It is a truly great design and the more I use and handle it the better I like it. I've only got two. I need another one.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Cool pic and great story!

There’s nothing like a well used and well loved tool. “Use your sh**” has somehow become a polarizing expression these days, it’s not to knock on those who safe queen their knives, we’re all guilty of that to some extent, but to truly appreciate a knife and connect with it you have to use it without restraint. In my experience.
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

Eli Chaps wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 6:51 pm
on_the_edge wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 6:29 pm
Standard VG10.

It looks like a link was posted to that thread you mentioned.

The Seki models are far too underrated in general. Excellent profiles, good steels, solid back locks and functional scales.
That comes because they were the famous entry line but now that they became more expensive and the budget line was installed with the new chinese models , some of the seki models are now sitting there in a middle class that gets a lot less attention. People that want to go cheap go budget models people that want to spend money pay a few bucks extra and get one of the awesome and many golden models.
So now they are sitting there in the void where there is much less advertisement and attention for the older models. If they would come with a delica/endura 5 then they would be hot again but for now they are the little in the middle. They still sell well but they are a bit ignored by the spyderholic especially thx to the new Salt craze…
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:38 pm
After I file down that first finger bump, I love the Endura. It is a truly great design and the more I use and handle it the better I like it. I've only got two. I need another one.
I do the same filing and on the Endelas and Delicas too.

If only we could get non-grooved handles... :pleading
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Delica has the perfect size and shape handle for my hand. I only wish they squeezed 3 more mm of edge lenght in that handle. Second close is the Endela. Endura is too big for edc… at least for me… plus I dislike the new Endura4 handle shape. I love the Endura 3 handle shape and I never understood why did they decide to change it !? Believe or not I even liked the volcano grip more.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Doc Dan wrote:

Have you documented this mod? Curious about how you did it. What grits did you use? What did it look like after the fact?
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

^^^^^ I second this! Pics please! :face monocle
Skar

Post by Skar »

Love the Endura. One of my favorites for sure.
I have the hap 40 versión and zdp incoming.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

It good.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Cowboyfromhell

Post by Cowboyfromhell »

I love my k390 endura! Im hoping for an exclusive with od green frn and dlc cruwear!.....pretty p!ease
capt.carl

Post by capt.carl »

elena86 wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:19 am
Delica has the perfect size and shape handle for my hand. I only wish they squeezed 3 more mm of edge lenght in that handle. Second close is the Endela. Endura is too big for edc… at least for me… plus I dislike the new Endura4 handle shape. I love the Endura 3 handle shape and I never understood why did they decide to change it !? Believe or not I even liked the volcano grip more.
Agree, always like to see as much blade crammed into a handle as possible
James Y

Post by James Y »

I think the Endura, including (and maybe especially) the basic VG-10 version, is a LOT more popular, and in far more pockets, than knife discussion forums would indicate. On discussion forums, the basic Endura 4 is old hat, and is not considered 'exciting' or interesting to knife afis.

Knife afis are not the only people out there who carry and use Spyderco knives. Afis probably aren't even the majority. I'm willing to bet that many people out there who do not frequent knife discussion forums, and who have liked their Enduras as work tools over the years so much, they just get another if they lose it or use it up. There's probably far more Enduras in use out there than PM2's.

Jim
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

p_atrick wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:30 am
Doc Dan wrote:

Have you documented this mod? Curious about how you did it. What grits did you use? What did it look like after the fact?
Yes, there are a couple of threads on here, somewhere of two of these I've done. One on my gray and one on my teal. I just used a medium diamond hone, wetting regularly, and finished with a fine. It looks factory, of close to it.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050