What Spyderco is in your pocket today??

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
z1r

Re: What Spyderco is in your pocket today??

Post by z1r »

Fly Fishing Rick wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 5:22 pm
Out for an evening walk. I acid etched the wire clip this afternoon, came out nearly the same shade of gray as the G10.

Nice!
embry386

Post by embry386 »

Fly Fishing Rick wrote:
Out for an evening walk. I acid etched the wire clip this afternoon, came out nearly the same shade of gray as the G10.
That looks great, could you possibly share the technique you used? Been considering doing something to make my Amalgam's clip less shiny and stand-out-y. I like the shade of gray you got on this wire clip.
z1r wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 5:51 pm
Not exactly in my pocket, but soon to be in my son's!
The balance of colors and details in this photo is really gorgeous. I like the warm tones of the fence in the background, really makes the knife "pop". ;)
T-1000

Post by T-1000 »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:55 pm
T-1000 wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:12 pm
Sweet ! Love those scales . MG2
Thanks man, they really woke up ol faithful
Netherend

Post by Netherend »

Salt life 😎
Attachments
3278D092-002E-4089-8BE1-FD27FC0933B9.jpeg
Just one more knife...
Fly Fishing Rick

Post by Fly Fishing Rick »

embry386 wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 6:07 pm
Fly Fishing Rick wrote:
That looks great, could you possibly share the technique you used? Been considering doing something to make my Amalgam's clip less shiny and stand-out-y. I like the shade of gray you got on this wire clip.
Certainly! The first and most important step is to fully clean and degrease your part, I scrub mine in acetone while wearing latex gloves. After I cleaned my clip I dipped it into a 1:1 mix of ferric chloride and distilled water for 3 minutes intervals until I had it where I wanted it which ended up being about 18 minutes. You can use pure ferric chloride if you don't want to dilute yours, just check it every minute or so since it'll work much faster. Make sure to give your part a quick rinse in distilled water between soakings and don't handle it without gloves to avoid contamination. When the clip is as dark as you like give it a final good wash with dawn soap or Windex to neutralize the acid. The part might look lighter colored after it's dry, just dip it in some mineral oil and rub it really good with a cloth to kind of burnish the surface and it'll darken back up. Keep in mind that any of the clips I've done seemed to be very low carbon stainless and do not get really dark colored like a blade will for that reason, don't go so far that you ruin your clip.
-Jimmy
embry386

Post by embry386 »

Fly Fishing Rick wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 6:29 pm
embry386 wrote:
Fly Fishing Rick wrote:
Certainly! The first and most important step is to fully clean and degrease your part, I scrub mine in acetone while wearing latex gloves. After I cleaned my clip I dipped it into a 1:1 mix of ferric chloride and distilled water for 3 minutes intervals until I had it where I wanted it which ended up being about 18 minutes. You can use pure ferric chloride if you don't want to dilute yours, just check it every minute or so since it'll work much faster. Make sure to give your part a quick rinse in distilled water between soakings and don't handle it without gloves to avoid contamination. When the clip is as dark as you like give it a final good wash with dawn soap or Windex to neutralize the acid. The part might look lighter colored after it's dry, just dip it in some mineral oil and rub it really good with a cloth to kind of burnish the surface and it'll darken back up. Keep in mind that any of the clips I've done seemed to be very low carbon stainless and do not get really dark colored like a blade will for that reason, don't go so far that you ruin your clip.
Thanks for the detailed info! I'll see if I can get my hands on some ferric chloride and give it a try. Not looking for a super dark finish, mostly just want to reduce the shine, so this sounds like it'll be perfect. :bug-red
Fly Fishing Rick

Post by Fly Fishing Rick »

embry386 wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 6:43 pm
Fly Fishing Rick wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 6:29 pm
embry386 wrote:
Fly Fishing Rick wrote:
Thanks for the detailed info! I'll see if I can get my hands on some ferric chloride and give it a try. Not looking for a super dark finish, mostly just want to reduce the shine, so this sounds like it'll be perfect. :bug-red
Mine is made by MG Chemicals and I bought it on Amazon a few years ago, last I knew they still carried it.
-Jimmy
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

Preparing for a ride tomorrow. I'll tuck a UKPK Salt in my jersey pocket for the event, but for today I rocked a smurf blue Para 3.

Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
z1r

Post by z1r »

Wandering_About wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:08 pm
Preparing for a ride tomorrow. I'll tuck a UKPK Salt in my jersey pocket for the event, but for today I rocked a smurf blue Para 3.

A gravel ride and a good knife. doesn't get much better. Best of luck!
z1r

Post by z1r »

embry386 wrote:
Fly Fishing Rick wrote:
z1r wrote:
The balance of colors and details in this photo is really gorgeous. I like the warm tones of the fence in the background, really makes the knife "pop". ;)
Wow, thank you! I've been inspired by all the great photos shared here. Really appreciate the feedback.
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

z1r wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:59 pm

A gravel ride and a good knife. doesn't get much better. Best of luck!
You prompted me to take a pre-emptive pic for tomorrow, since I probably won't remember to take one.

Good knife, excellent steed.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Carrying the Watu. It is quirky, and a fantastic EDC.

Last edited by Brock O Lee on Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

z1r wrote:

Nice! I gave my (then) pre-teen daughter a Byrd Robin 2 a few years ago, and ordered the same recently for her younger sister, who asked to have a “real knife” like her dad! 😍
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

Brock O Lee wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:47 pm
Carrying the Watu. It is quirky, and a fantastic EDC.

This may be the only knife in the lineup, that I feel like I'm missing from my collection and need to pick up before the opportunity is...regretful...
So it goes.
Teddy0215

Post by Teddy0215 »

Slightly obsessed…
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

ImageWartstein Special for Woodpuppy. ;) Guess ! Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Ranger_Ike

Post by Ranger_Ike »

PITS

Got photo bombed… I guess they are curious.

TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
kobold

Post by kobold »

Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 5:25 am
ImageWartstein Special for Woodpuppy. ;) Guess ! Dan
Uuuuhhh, LC200N Salt 2? Or HAP40 Stretch?