C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Re: C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Post by JD Spydo »

I would like to take this most interesting thread down another road>> or at least side street if you will. I would like all you guys and gals who have recently gotten this magnificent new Sprint Run C-60 Ayoob/Cruwear model to help me out here. I want all you new C-60 Ayoob owners to give us all a numerical rating. You can do it on a 1 to 100 scale.

Myself JD Spydo I give both my PE & SE Ayoob/Cruwear Sprint Run both a rating of 97. But keep in mind that I've never given any knife to this date in time a rating of 100. So what is your numerical rating of your new C-60 Ayoob/Cruwear model?????

Sidenote: EVIL D!!!!??? It's time for you to come back to Spyderville Dude!!
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Cheddarnut wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:53 pm
SpyderGrill wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:20 pm
I got my plain edge yesterday. The action is a little tight and gritty feeling like a sharp burr is dragging on the liner. No Blade play and I have not adjusted the pivot screw that looks a little chewed up, but the torx bit seems to fit. I have not added oil yet as someone here said to open it 500 times to polish the liners and oil would hamper that? Seems odd to me but,,,,

I did move the clip to tip up (which I might move back) and checked the body screws for tightness. They seemed loose so I tightened them up. After that I couldnt open the knife so I loosened them back up.

Id like to take it apart and give it a good clean but someone above was saying how hard it was to get back together. I wish they would have posted pictures of the inside because looking at the liners from the outside it looks interesting how the liners are milled without the washers.

The edge grind looks even on both sides and its pretty sharp

So my questions are, should I oil it? Or wait till I open it 500 times? Ive already did it about 150 times. Did the pivot screw have locktite? I dont want to strip that screw any more than it is.

Well I would flick 500 times
And I would flick 500 more
Just to be the hand that flicked 500 times
To polish out that burr

This song always reminds me of a certain HIMYM episode.
😂
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

:rofl We got there eventually and it was worth the ride. Well done!
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
mb1

Post by mb1 »

SpyderGrill wrote:
I got my plain edge yesterday. The action is a little tight and gritty feeling like a sharp burr is dragging on the liner. No Blade play and I have not adjusted the pivot screw that looks a little chewed up, but the torx bit seems to fit. I have not added oil yet as someone here said to open it 500 times to polish the liners and oil would hamper that? Seems odd to me but,,,,

I did move the clip to tip up (which I might move back) and checked the body screws for tightness. They seemed loose so I tightened them up. After that I couldnt open the knife so I loosened them back up.

Id like to take it apart and give it a good clean but someone above was saying how hard it was to get back together. I wish they would have posted pictures of the inside because looking at the liners from the outside it looks interesting how the liners are milled without the washers.

The edge grind looks even on both sides and its pretty sharp

So my questions are, should I oil it? Or wait till I open it 500 times? Ive already did it about 150 times. Did the pivot screw have locktite? I dont want to strip that screw any more than it is.

I put one small drop of mineral oil on my pivot where the lockbar engages. You’ll see black residue you can wipe away as you cycle thru it. Made mine smooth as glass.
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
Jablang

Post by Jablang »

Has anyone ordered and received an order from Going Gear yet? I ordered on the 12th and mines still in the “confirmed” status.
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

SpyderGrill wrote:
I mentioned the difficulty in taking the knife apart (perhaps there are others, this is a long thread). I didn't even think to take pictures; sorry about that. I don't really recall anything about the liners that really stuck out at me in terms of milling. They weren't like the Seki liners as there were "dark" ares on them. I'm not saying rust or patina; it's just that i expected them to have a uniform appearance.

Look, maybe I'm all thumbs and the knife isn't as bad as I make it out. Maybe the issues I found are unique to the one I have. Maybe my experience is but one data point and you should conduct your own experiment to add to the data set. Who am I to tell you what to do with your knife?

In my particular situation, I was manually actuating the knife to speed up the break-in. I held the handle in one hand and the blade in another, and would rotate the blade quickly. I soon felt and heard something rough in the action. It was on the tang that this was happening. I wondered if there was a burr or something on the lockbar. Looking back, I should have tried a drop of oil first. But I was curious what a backlock with a steel back spacer would be like. I've only ever had Seki LW backlocks and those are annoying to put back together. I figured the Ayoob would be so much easier (especially compared to the P4 LW and that little post — if you know, you know).
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

In the traditional knife world it is called "flushing the joint". Lots of oil to help lift out the gunk and metal bits, work the joint for awhile, flush again, etc. Once the gunk is out, cleanup the excess oil and you should be good to go. There are more invasive methods of removing a burr, if that is what it is. I have done that on a couple of back locks in the past.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

JRinFL wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:36 am
In the traditional knife world it is called "flushing the joint". Lots of oil to help lift out the gunk and metal bits, work the joint for awhile, flush again, etc. Once the gunk is out, cleanup the excess oil and you should be good to go. There are more invasive methods of removing a burr, if that is what it is. I have done that on a couple of back locks in the past.

If this is relation to my post above, there was no burr. Adding oil, I suspect, would have been sufficient. Lesson learned.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

More for SpyderGrill, it just happened my post was below yours.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
chkn

Post by chkn »

Jablang wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:23 am
Has anyone ordered and received an order from Going Gear yet? I ordered on the 12th and mines still in the “confirmed” status.
I ordered from them but haven't received mine yet. I sent them an email yesterday and got a response, supposedly it got sent out and I just never received a shipment notice but the tracking number they gave me comes back with "Shipping Label Created, USPS Awaiting Item" from the 13th.
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

Fradon Safe & Lock:
PlainEdge... https://www.safeandlockstore.com/knives ... lain-edge/

SpyderEdge... https://www.safeandlockstore.com/knives ... -serrated/

And

House Of Blades:
PlainEdge... https://houseofblades.com/shop/spyderco-ayoob-c60gpgy/

KnifeWorld:
PlainEdge... https://knifeworldwv.com/product/c60gpg ... print-run/

SpyderEdge... https://knifeworldwv.com/product/c60gsg ... print-run/

KnifeHub:
SpyderEdge... https://www.knifehub.com/product-page/s ... ed-c60gsgy

Also at
Sooner State Knives (Not on the Dealer Locator List?):
Both are towards the bottom of this page... http://www.soonerstateknives.com/newitems.html
Last edited by Buddafucco on Sat Aug 20, 2022 12:15 pm, edited 4 times in total.
•• Beau
toxophilus

Post by toxophilus »

Jablang wrote:
Yes, I got mine from Going Gear yesterday, ordered it on 08/12

On my plain edge the bevels are pretty even, came in about 27°dps...
Ayoob27DegreesBTorn.jpg
Last edited by toxophilus on Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Looks like it's on! And maybe the biggest dealers will get theirs soon?
Skar

Post by Skar »

JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:15 pm
I would like to take this most interesting thread down another road>> or at least side street if you will. I would like all you guys and gals who have recently gotten this magnificent new Sprint Run C-60 Ayoob/Cruwear model to help me out here. I want all you new C-60 Ayoob owners to give us all a numerical rating. You can do it on a 1 to 100 scale.

Myself JD Spydo I give both my PE & SE Ayoob/Cruwear Sprint Run both a rating of 97. But keep in mind that I've never given any knife to this date in time a rating of 100. So what is your numerical rating of your new C-60 Ayoob/Cruwear model?????

I'll give it a rating of 95.
There is no flaw of the knife and I love the smoothness of the action.

I would have the exact same knife in magnacut and g10 as a Salt would push it over as a 100.

Great blade !
resonanzmacher

Post by resonanzmacher »

Jablang wrote:
Mine was in my mailbox yesterday. Only bought from them a couple times, but have never had a problem.
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

Cheddarnut wrote:

To polish out that burr
Da-da da da (Da-da da da)

Hahah legitimately laughed out loud at my desk reading this. Well-played, Sir!
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Skar wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:56 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:15 pm

I'll give it a rating of 95.
There is no flaw of the knife and I love the smoothness of the action.

I would have the exact same knife in magnacut and g10 as a Salt would push it over as a 100.

Great blade !
Well 95 is still a darn good rating. Like I said I've never yet given any knife a perfect grade of 100. So 97 is really pushing it. But I'm that satisfied. I know it's not everyone's dream knife but there sure a lot of people giving a thumbs up to this new Sprint Run of the C-60
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

DSH007 wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:10 am
Cheddarnut wrote:

To polish out that burr

Hahah legitimately laughed out loud at my desk reading this. Well-played, Sir!
:squinting-tongue
Thank you for the addition vocal line, it didn't quite feel right until you added it!
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

Indiana Knives... SpyderEdge... https://indianaknives.com/products/spyd ... rated-edge

And still at the others above

Edit: oops... SpyderEdge not PlainEdge
Last edited by Buddafucco on Sat Aug 20, 2022 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
•• Beau
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

•• Beau