Learned how much of a beast SE is.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Jurmuscle

Learned how much of a beast SE is.

Post by Jurmuscle »

Co worker cut through a crazy thick wire with her Harpey today. And the knife looks great still. I'm impressed and even more excited for my SE Massad to get here Thursday.
-take care
Attachments
Compress_20220816_135821_1567.jpg
:usflag :bug-red :bug-white-red :usflag
If we spent as much time trying as we do doubting, we might have already accomplished it.

-Tom
elena86

Re: Learned how much of a beast SE is.

Post by elena86 »

Massad serrations are a joke … sorry to bust your bubble
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Jurmuscle

Post by Jurmuscle »

elena86 wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:07 pm
Massad serrations are a joke … sorry to bust your bubble
What have you tested yours on?
If we spent as much time trying as we do doubting, we might have already accomplished it.

-Tom
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Jurmuscle wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:00 pm
Co worker cut through a crazy thick wire with her Harpey today. And the knife looks great still. I'm impressed and even more excited for my SE Massad to get here Thursday.
-take care

Said it before: This is one of the cool things with SE: While I never actually plan on cutting wire with my folder, in an emergency situation a good SE Spyderco can absolutely do that while imo still being a better cutter than PE in most "normal " knife tasks

Ain't there that old story about diver who could free his trapped hand by cutting the wire the hand was caught in with an SE Spydie? :thinking
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
James Y

Post by James Y »

I love the SS SE Harpy. I own two of them. The Harpy's SE edge is also strong; for example, stronger than the Tasman's. If you compare a Harpy and a Tasman side-by-side, there are subtle differences.

Jim
TheGiant80

Post by TheGiant80 »

James Y wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:45 pm
I love the SS SE Harpy. I own two of them. The Harpy's SE edge is also strong; for example, stronger than the Tasman's. If you compare a Harpy and a Tasman side-by-side, there are subtle differences.

Jim
The exact info I'm looking for. Overall, would you take the SS SE Harpy over the SE Tasman?
James Y

Post by James Y »

TheGiant80 wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:01 pm
James Y wrote:

Jim
The exact info I'm looking for. Overall, would you take the SS SE Harpy over the SE Tasman?

TBH, it really depends on what you're planning to use it for. For much higher corrosion resistance, textured grip and lighter weight, I'd take the Tasman.

If I needed a hawkbill for a little more rugged cutting chores, I would definitely take the Harpy. The Harpy's blade is also slightly shorter (I think around 2.75" or so). It's more stout than the Tasman. I will always have a place in my heart for the SS SE Harpy.

Jim
z1r

Post by z1r »

James Y wrote:

Jim
I agree, but I do like the Tasman's weight, or lack of. A PE FRN Harpy would be my dream knife!

I'll concede I can't sharpen SE's as good as I'd like, not Factory slice through paper sharp. But, my Hawkbill never fails to cut through anything I need it to cut.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:30 pm
Jurmuscle wrote:
-take care

Said it before: This is one of the cool things with SE: While I never actually plan on cutting wire with my folder, in an emergency situation a good SE Spyderco can absolutely do that while imo still being a better cutter than PE in most "normal " knife tasks

Ain't there that old story about diver who could free his trapped hand by cutting the wire the hand was caught in with an SE Spydie? :thinking
There was a testimonial written to Sal many years ago. I don't recall now whether it was the diver or his partner that was tangled in the steel cable, but it was a serrated Mariner that cut the cable and freed him. It trashed the knife, but saved the life. I think Sal sent him a new one.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

James Y wrote:

Jim
Jim nailed it!!!

And remember this >> "Spyderco IS The Undisputed King Of Serrated Edges". Case Closed

The serrated Hawkbills have so much pull cutting advantage that most of you will love the Harpy, Tasman & Spyderhawk as companion blades to your main EDC.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

SE is easier to sharpen, for me, than PE, and yes, it is a beast. My most recent purchase was SE, and I'm pretty sure my next will be as well. Teeth are good.
blueblur

Post by blueblur »

The se k390 endura brings a whole new meaning to the phrase “se is a beast”!
olywa

Post by olywa »

blueblur wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:32 pm
Tell me more! I've been curious as to how K390 serrated edges perform, as well as how easy or hard they are to maintain. I love Enduras and have been considering this one. However, I've got a serious love affair going on with the Stretch XL these days and recently picked up the SE to join the PE I already had. She's a keeper and I've been very impressed with VG-10 SE.
z1r

Post by z1r »

olywa wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:34 am
blueblur wrote:
Tell me more! I've been curious as to how K390 serrated edges perform, as well as how easy or hard they are to maintain. I love Enduras and have been considering this one. However, I've got a serious love affair going on with the Stretch XL these days and recently picked up the SE to join the PE I already had. She's a keeper and I've been very impressed with VG-10 SE.
Yeah, SE VG-10 is no joke. I love K390, but my SE sharpening skills leave something to be desired. Hence, my reluctance to try K390 SE.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Jurmuscle wrote:
-take care
Hey Brother I love your thread on Spyderco's serrated edges. And your preaching to a very devout convert when speaking of Spyderco's super efficient serrated edges. But do make a note of some of the different serration patterns that they have given us over the years.

And each one of the patterns do have their advantages in cutting certain various materials. Not all SE patterns are created equal. I've been trying to ascertain which Serrated pattern could be considered the best. The SE pattern on the new C-60 Ayoob Sprint Run ( the serrated version that is) is one of the better serration patterns I've played with up till now. I do hope that Spyderco is going to do more SE patterns like it too.

Now I own a couple of Harpy models myself. And Spyderco's SE patterns on their Hawkbill blades are extremely aggressive especially for pull cutting ( which Hawkbill blades seem to excel at).
Jurmuscle

Post by Jurmuscle »

JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:33 pm
Jurmuscle wrote:
-take care
Hey Brother I love your thread on Spyderco's serrated edges. And your preaching to a very devout convert when speaking of Spyderco's super efficient serrated edges. But do make a note of some of the different serration patterns that they have given us over the years.

And each one of the patterns do have their advantages in cutting certain various materials. Not all SE patterns are created equal. I've been trying to ascertain which Serrated pattern could be considered the best. The SE pattern on the new C-60 Ayoob Sprint Run ( the serrated version that is) is one of the better serration patterns I've played with up till now. I do hope that Spyderco is going to do more SE patterns like it too.

Now I own a couple of Harpy models myself. And Spyderco's SE patterns on their Hawkbill blades are extremely aggressive especially for pull cutting ( which Hawkbill blades seem to excel at).
I was actually thinking about this yesterday. It's funny you mention this haha. I was more so thinking on the topic of "the best" serration pattern. I think it's more than fare for people to have preferences. I also was thinking tho, what's wrong with instead of having a best, just having many different good ones with different good purposes. It's kind of like on plain edge there is different blade shape, blade thickness, etc. Making each one unique as well.

On a side note my first SE came in and I thank you Mr. JD. It is a beautiful one. This has made me change the way I think about SE. I never thought I would want one besides a bread knife and steak knifes lol. Speaking of which now that I think about it, why don't Spyderco do a set of steak knifes. Misen has a set of full tang steak knifes with a in drawer knife holder and I love em. I also emailed Spyderco before about a Chinese chef knife idea and never heard back. I think that would be a major hit as well.

-thanks
Attachments
Compress_20220818_131754_4776.jpg

-Tom
blueblur

Post by blueblur »

olywa wrote:
blueblur wrote:
I’ve carried mine nonstop since I received it but it hasn’t gotten a ton of use yet. It came extremely sharp out of the box, no touch ups necessary. The teeth don’t let anything get in their way and the knife is sharp enough it will push cut right through material that could snag a not so sharp se, such as paper towel packaging. The serrations are much less aggressive than my pacific salts but still a step or two more aggressive than what I’ve seen on the new ayoob. I’ve really grown to like the endura. If you’re a fan of the model, you’ve got to try this one.

Regarding the corrosion resistance, I like a steel that shows character. I haven’t cut any fruits or acidic foods but in my experience only 52100 is more “reactive” than k390. If wiped down shortly after using k390 has cleaned up fine for me, but you have to make sure it’s well dried. If any water stays on the blade you’ll know it the next day. Mine isn’t a safe queen so I don’t mind being a little more aware of this kind of thing but the trade off you get with the performance has been more than worth it for me.

I’m actually surprised I haven’t seen more about serrated k390 around here.
Jurmuscle

Post by Jurmuscle »

blueblur wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:43 am
olywa wrote:
blueblur wrote:
I’ve carried mine nonstop since I received it but it hasn’t gotten a ton of use yet. It came extremely sharp out of the box, no touch ups necessary. The teeth don’t let anything get in their way and the knife is sharp enough it will push cut right through material that could snag a not so sharp se, such as paper towel packaging. The serrations are much less aggressive than my pacific salts but still a step or two more aggressive than what I’ve seen on the new ayoob. I’ve really grown to like the endura. If you’re a fan of the model, you’ve got to try this one.

Regarding the corrosion resistance, I like a steel that shows character. I haven’t cut any fruits or acidic foods but in my experience only 52100 is more “reactive” than k390. If wiped down shortly after using k390 has cleaned up fine for me, but you have to make sure it’s well dried. If any water stays on the blade you’ll know it the next day. Mine isn’t a safe queen so I don’t mind being a little more aware of this kind of thing but the trade off you get with the performance has been more than worth it for me.

I’m actually surprised I haven’t seen more about serrated k390 around here.
I was actually debating getting the serrated police in k390 next.

-Tom
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Jurmuscle wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:31 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Jurmuscle wrote:
-take care

I was actually thinking about this yesterday. It's funny you mention this haha. I was more so thinking on the topic of "the best" serration pattern. I think it's more than fare for people to have preferences. I also was thinking tho, what's wrong with instead of having a best, just having many different good ones with different good purposes. It's kind of like on plain edge there is different blade shape, blade thickness, etc. Making each one unique as well.

On a side note my first SE came in and I thank you Mr. JD. It is a beautiful one. This has made me change the way I think about SE. I never thought I would want one besides a bread knife and steak knifes lol. Speaking of which now that I think about it, why don't Spyderco do a set of steak knifes. Misen has a set of full tang steak knifes with a in drawer knife holder and I love em. I also emailed Spyderco before about a Chinese chef knife idea and never heard back. I think that would be a major hit as well.

-thanks
Spyderco has done quite a few culinary knives over the years. It's interesting that the serration pattern on most of their kitchen knives is completely different. I have the K-04 and K-05 models and they have a rounded/wavy type of pattern and they work great for food. I've often wondered how a pattern like that might work in a non-food cutting job. There probably is an over-saturated market with steak knives would be my guess as to why they haven't done it.

So glad you are enjoying your C-60 Ayoob Sprint Run. I hope everyone here who gets one really likes it and eventually desires more runs of the C-60 model. It's probably more popular now than I can ever remember. That knife was truly ahead of it's time and most people didn't understand it in the early 2000s. But it seems to be really sought after now. Let us know how you end up liking the full SE version of the Ayoob. I'm sure you'll love it.
Jurmuscle

Post by Jurmuscle »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 5:04 am
Jurmuscle wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:31 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Jurmuscle wrote:
-take care

-thanks
Spyderco has done quite a few culinary knives over the years. It's interesting that the serration pattern on most of their kitchen knives is completely different. I have the K-04 and K-05 models and they have a rounded/wavy type of pattern and they work great for food. I've often wondered how a pattern like that might work in a non-food cutting job. There probably is an over-saturated market with steak knives would be my guess as to why they haven't done it.

So glad you are enjoying your C-60 Ayoob Sprint Run. I hope everyone here who gets one really likes it and eventually desires more runs of the C-60 model. It's probably more popular now than I can ever remember. That knife was truly ahead of it's time and most people didn't understand it in the early 2000s. But it seems to be really sought after now. Let us know how you end up liking the full SE version of the Ayoob. I'm sure you'll love it.
It's my first non US made. And it's my first SE. But I already love it. I also love the story behind it. Feels amazing in hand. Zero blade play. And the shape is very cool. It kind of reminds me of Count Dookus lightsaber. Can't wait to test it for EDC.

-Tom