Native 5 salt is Magnacut?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Spyder-fan

Re: Native 5 salt is Magnacut?

Post by Spyder-fan »

I'm a bit concerned with the delay. Spyderco is usually the front runner in releasing new blade steels and they're late to the party with this one. Hopefully whatever the hold up is gets resolved soon. I know they have our best interests in mind and don't want to release something they don't feel is up to their standards.

Curious what the issue is though as the following manufacturers have all already released knives using the steel; Hogue, CRK, Pro-Tech, Tactile, Lionsteel, Medford, , McNees, and Bark River.
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Spyder-fan wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:10 am
I'm a bit concerned with the delay. Spyderco is usually the front runner in releasing new blade steels and they're late to the party with this one. Hopefully whatever the hold up is gets resolved soon. I know they have our best interests in mind and don't want to release something they don't feel is up to their standards.

Curious what the issue is though as the following manufacturers have all already released knives using the steel; Hogue, CRK, Pro-Tech, Tactile, Lionsteel, Medford, , McNees, and Bark River.
There's nothing to be concerned about, Spyderco's MagnaCut is going to be focused on giving a high performance experience to fully maximize MagnaCuts potential.

HRC doesn't tell the full story so it's nice that all the details are worked out.

It's not a race, it's important to not just get the name of something, but what it can do, not just what it's called.

I cannot speak for Spyderco and what projects get selected and prioritized and why, however Spyderco has also been working on expanding the size of their Golden factory. There have also been other projects that have been in the works like CPM 15V etc.

Putting everything into context, I think people forget the sheer volume of knives put out just to maintain inventory for the basic line PM2, Para 3 in S45VN etc for all these dealers let alone sprints and with the HUGE increased demand over the past couple years almost everybody in the industry has been having a difficult time keeping up with demand while at the same time everybody is doing their best dealing with supply chain issues, manpower, etc.

These knives don't just magically appear even though it seems that way. Think about all the different "bread and butter" models people take for granted without ever seeing the hidden human energy being put into everything. So, its easy to fall into the trap of casually thinking knives are being stamped out and printed buy some automaton.

When I was hanging out with Spyderco at Shot Show what impressed me the most was talking to some of the employees that do some of the grinding, prototyping etc, and they really impressed me with all the challenges that they had to deal with that they are always overcoming striving to perfect but never get any credit for from a part of the public that perceive these knives as appearing from thin air.

Let's give these guys some love for what they do.

It's important to be patient, we are getting something very special.
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:02 am
Spyder-fan wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:10 am

There's nothing to be concerned about, Spyderco's MagnaCut is going to be focused on giving a high performance experience to fully maximize MagnaCuts potential.

HRC doesn't tell the full story so it's nice that all the details are worked out.

It's not a race, it's important to not just get the name of something, but what it can do, not just what it's called.

I cannot speak for Spyderco and what projects get selected and prioritized and why, however Spyderco has also been working on expanding the size of their Golden factory. There have also been other projects that have been in the works like CPM 15V etc.

Putting everything into context, I think people forget the sheer volume of knives put out just to maintain inventory for the basic line PM2, Para 3 in S45VN etc for all these dealers let alone sprints and with the HUGE increased demand over the past couple years almost everybody in the industry has been having a difficult time keeping up with demand while at the same time everybody is doing their best dealing with supply chain issues, manpower, etc.

These knives don't just magically appear even though it seems that way. Think about all the different "bread and butter" models people take for granted without ever seeing the hidden human energy being put into everything. So, its easy to fall into the trap of casually thinking knives are being stamped out and printed buy some automaton.

When I was hanging out with Spyderco at Shot Show what impressed me the most was talking to some of the employees that do some of the grinding, prototyping etc, and they really impressed me with all the challenges that they had to deal with that they are always overcoming striving to perfect but never get any credit for from a part of the public that perceive these knives as appearing from thin air.

Let's give these guys some love for what they do.

It's important to be patient, we are getting something very special.
Thanks, Shawn!

I appreciate your insights and perspective and agree that consumer folks should be more appreciative of production workers and processes and should be vastly more patient.

I am as eager as the rest to have some Spyderco MagnaCut in two of my fave models (N5 and M2), but really focusing on being patient. Besides I have all these other awesome Spyderco knives to use in the meantime.

Gratitude and patience really is worthwhile.

A hearty thanks to all the knifemakers who work for or contract with Spyderco!
bleasure

Post by bleasure »

dlum1 wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 6:29 am

Just a quick aside. Your point is certainly valid, but the example may not be the best. You made a reference to one of the most successful smear campaigns in history. The actual story is rather fascinating:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liebeck ... estaurants
thanks for linking to this, it's an important point, and good corrective to a general line of argumentation that's analytically wrong-headed imo and usually flawed, factually. i agree that people's consumerist entitlement is weird and irritating, but it's mostly just embarrassing to them as far as i can see. we don't *have* to take (presumably) grown people tantruming over luxury commodities too seriously, esp when they adopt the posture of a bold hero throwing back the curtain on some dark malfeasance about... what? business logistics being complicated? determining the ideal industrial scale production approach for a literally new form of alloy? lol. it takes people a year to like, deal with that drafty window or loan issue or clean out their shed or whatever. this is not a problem to get so heavy over my dude
z1r

Post by z1r »

Gotta say, I'm not terribly concerned. IMO, when it does arrive, it will have been worth the wait. Really strange, but the N5 is turning out to be the knife I am acquiring the most variants of. Just so much to like about it!
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

z1r wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:11 am
Gotta say, I'm not terribly concerned. IMO, when it does arrive, it will have been worth the wait. Really strange, but the N5 is turning out to be the knife I am acquiring the most variants of. Just so much to like about it!
I feel the same not concerned one bit . N5 is a great knife, I’ve had several over the years and appreciate the iconic design . I only have one now in S110V but look to purchasing a couple more Salty ones whenever it happens . Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I’m really trying to hold out for a MagnaCut N5, but may succumb to a SPY27. Wish I’d jumped on the smooth G10/cruwear version. That was before I decided I really needed to try the N5. 🤷‍♂️
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

I too am in need of a Native in my collection, I sold all of them in favor of the Lil Native. Anticipating this Magnacut Native greatly.
z1r

Post by z1r »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:01 pm
I’m really trying to hold out for a MagnaCut N5, but may succumb to a SPY27. Wish I’d jumped on the smooth G10/cruwear version. That was before I decided I really needed to try the N5. 🤷‍♂️
I'll tell you, the Spy27 is no slouch. The color is nice, and I personally find the steel one of the easier to sharpen and get a keen edge on.

The Cruwear you speak of is nice, but I think I prefer the traction that FRN provides.
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Take all the time you need Spyderco and build up a big inventory of them so that everyone has a good shot at one. If they released them in small batches, you'd then hear complaints about the availability. I'm happy to wait.
Sharp24/7

Post by Sharp24/7 »

Bemo wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:36 pm
Take all the time you need Spyderco and build up a big inventory of them so that everyone has a good shot at one. If they released them in small batches, you'd then hear complaints about the availability. I'm happy to wait.
This might not be the whole story behind the delay, but if it’s not part of it, I’ll be surprised.
TheGiant80

Post by TheGiant80 »

My wife carries a Dragonfly and I've always thought of that knife as one whose capabilities far out reaches it's size. I like that concept and believe the Native 5 could fill that role for me. After comparing and contrasting all the steel options available, MagnaCut appears to be the ticket. Pretty excited for this badboy to get released!
semfi1345

Post by semfi1345 »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:01 pm
I’m really trying to hold out for a MagnaCut N5, but may succumb to a SPY27. Wish I’d jumped on the smooth G10/cruwear version...
Having owned a PM2, Manix 2, Para 3, & native 5 in Cruwear, get the SPY-27 along with the Cruwear models. I realize my signature but if all I had was SPY-27 from here on out....I'd be ok with that. I take a LW Para 3 in SPY-27 to the woods with me everyday as a forester and it refuses to quit.
SPY-27 and CPM-Cruwear are peak performance...for me.
Araignee

Post by Araignee »

salimoneus wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:00 pm
Don't hold your breath on seeing this anytime soon, continued production issues with this relatively new unproven steel in a folder format, is concerning.
Without a proper source we cannot take your affirmation at face value. Please do not spread unverified rumours.
salimoneus

Post by salimoneus »

Araignee wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:42 am
salimoneus wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:00 pm
Don't hold your breath on seeing this anytime soon, continued production issues with this relatively new unproven steel in a folder format, is concerning.
Without a proper source we cannot take your affirmation at face value. Please do not spread unverified rumours.
I guess you haven't been following too closely, but they already publicly stated there were some issues interfacing with the lock components, or something similarly vague, which naturally leads to people speculating. Based on just that limited info, my guess would be that there was some corrosion issues at the contact points of the different metals, but it's anyone's guess. Folders pose significantly more challenges than simple fixed blades, and there's been relatively few folders released in this steel up to this point compared to fixed blades. Perhaps some day we'll find out the details, perhaps not.
Matus

Post by Matus »

Yawn
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

The announce was a bit early, but I'd rather wait 2 more years to have the best performance the steel has to offer, rather than just be disappointed !
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I have to chuckle a little at the assertion that Shawn doesn't have any insight into Spyderco's Magnacut project.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
phaust

Post by phaust »

Ramonade wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:38 am
The announce was a bit early, but I'd rather wait 2 more years to have the best performance the steel has to offer, rather than just be disappointed !
Sal already said don't expect the best at release since that gets dialed in using customer feedback.

Not being released just delays that feedback loop.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:25 am
I have to chuckle a little at the assertion that Shawn doesn't have any insight into Spyderco's Magnacut project.
Yeah, that is kind of hilarious.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001