Sal is a great guy and I won’t shut up about it

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
twinboysdad

Sal is a great guy and I won’t shut up about it

Post by twinboysdad »

The talkin story on the new Ayoob just reminded me what a gem Sal Glesser is. I have said before that I had more access to Sal here than some of my past employer’s CEOs. We have a good thing here and Sal sets that tone.
Nuh Nups

Re: Sal is a great guy and I won’t shut up about it

Post by Nuh Nups »

I couldn’t agree more. We could all learn a thing or two from Sal.

I cannot think of any other company I’ve ever dealt with that has an owner who is so actively engaged with their customers. Not only that, he is open, honest, and patient.
Last edited by Nuh Nups on Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
M.N.O.S.D. member 0026
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

Sal certainly is a man of great moral substance, an inspiring creator and innovator too.
:bug-red-white
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

No argument here at all. I don't know of any company owner in any type of business that interacts with the fans, afis and customers like Mr. Glesser does here on the Forum and at shows as well.

Tell me what other knife company we could have gotten that C-60 Ayoob Sprint Run done? I can't think of anyone else either.

Long Live Sal, Eric, Gail, Kristi, Joyce and all the rest of the Spyderco Staff!!! I hope Mr. Glesser is still running the company when he reaches 99 years of age :cheap-sunglasses
Laphroaig9

Post by Laphroaig9 »

Sal is 109...just sayin'....
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I wasn't going to mention it, but seeing as there is a thread. sal's story about the ayoob and moki factory, helping the next generation continue on a great legacy was moving to me. Business can be so cold, dispassionate, all about the bottom line. It's awesome to see Spyderco's loyalty to the companies they have worked with.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Sal’s commitment to honesty and integrity is why I will be a loyal fan and customer of Spyderco for life.
-Nick :bug-red
Soanso McMasters

Post by Soanso McMasters »

Well, this won’t be popular, but at some point you have to be loyal to your customers as well. If a supplier can’t meet Spyderco’s standards… at some point it’s time to move on, no? I tried two Caly 3.5’s from the current production and they were seriously lacking.

Obviously I trust Sal/Spyderco’s judgement, just adding this as something to consider.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Soanso McMasters wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:34 pm
Well, this won’t be popular, but at some point you have to be loyal to your customers as well. If a supplier can’t meet Spyderco’s standards… at some point it’s time to move on, no? I tried two Caly 3.5’s from the current production and they were seriously lacking.

Obviously I trust Sal/Spyderco’s judgement, just adding this as something to consider.
So, you’re saying that Sal should have abandoned a family-business that helped Spyderco become what it is because your Caly 3.5s are “seriously lacking”? Really?
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

This is just one of the reasons I stick with Spyderco. There are some designs I wish they'd make, but they support us, they support the businesses that support them, and I buy to support Spyderco. I like the way Sal does things. I've got a couple of Sal stories and my wife doesn't mind too much if I buy Spyderco because of Sal's personal attention to her desire for a knife. Cool.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

Soanso McMasters wrote:

Sal is loyal. He's willing to bring the people over from Japan to help them learn how to make knives better and to help them keep their family business alive. That is commendable. If your knives are bad, send them to spyderco and see if they can be fixed. If not, they usually give credit and you can get a different knife/knives. That's pretty stand up, imo.

As for Sal, he designed my favorite knife (Shaman). He's in touch with the customers. He's honest and loyal. **** right I will defend him and continue to buy his knives. Lol
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

I think Sal is a great guy. But in all honesty the forum is not the same place it was in the past.
And i feel that has also influenced Sal a bit. Then again it is only natural to evolve with the place that changes. Since this place has become more “sensitive” over time it makes it only more incredible that he is around trying to do good for us everyday. And doing good for as much people as you can is an almost impossible job. So even though we not agree on a few things, Sal thank you for being here and thank you for everything you do for the community.
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Actions speak louder than words.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Sal has said so many thought provoking things beyond the scope of knives . He recently mentioned a line from Siddhartha by Herman Hesse , that made my day . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Soanso McMasters wrote:

If my family had owned the Moki facility and it was my son in limbo I would want someone to shepherd him the same way
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Nuh Nups wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:24 pm
...patient.

Amen to that. I'm guilty of coming on here and asking for a knife that probably only appeals to me. It is a pretty selfish thing to do given that Spyderco is a company responsible to its many employees. I've also complained about things that weren't really all that big of a deal. We all have a million ideas of how Spyderco should be run, but very few are probably any good. And through all of this, Sal is still here listening, talking, etc. I don't know how he does it.
NCJohn62

Post by NCJohn62 »

Soanso McMasters wrote:
I'd be curious to hear what you found fault with the Caly 3.5.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

What is more loyal to customers than moving heaven and earth to bring bringing back a long discontinued model for one of your customers who campaigns for years for you to do so?

sal has indulged MANY of our requests to resurrect AND to invent new models. The Ayoob, Lum Tanto, Slyz Bowie, Dodo, Rockjumper, Hawkbill Dragonfly, Lil Matriarch Salt, Choil-less Shaman, Lightweight Superhawk/Superleaf, Performance Delica.... and I'm sure several I'm forgetting.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

NCJohn62 wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:39 am
Soanso McMasters wrote:
I'd be curious to hear what you found fault with the Caly 3.5.
I'm curious as well, but please make a new thread about it rather than discussing it on this one, thanks.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Sal for President!!!
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!