C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
mb1

Re: C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Post by mb1 »

None of my spare Lynch screws appeared to be the same size. These are thin scales. It’s a fairly short and narrow screw.

- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Can I just say the tolerances on this knife are amazing.

One of my favorite things about this knife is the color clip, like many of the old spydercos had. Its my first spydie with a color clip. The full size Calypso sprint was shown with a color clip but I dont think it shipped with one, mine didnt have one.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

Has DLT gotten theirs yet?
tactikool

Post by tactikool »

I've got a conundrum. My PE Ayoob arrived with the pivot screw head stripped pretty good. Warranty service advised me that they do not have any spare pivot screws to send out, but didn't mention if that would change in the future. Other than this I'm happy with the knife. Would you return the knife for an exchange/refund? I bought it from Knife Joy, but being out of stock currently don't know if returning it and waiting for the restock is prudent.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

VooDooChild wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:51 am
Can I just say the tolerances on this knife are amazing.

One of my favorite things about this knife is the color clip, like many of the old spydercos had. Its my first spydie with a color clip. The full size Calypso sprint was shown with a color clip but I dont think it shipped with one, mine didnt have one.
The clips on both of mine are similar in color to the one on the previous models. However the clip on this new Sprint Run is thinner than the original.

It is nice that you have more options where you can put the pocket clip on this newer model. The grip on this newer Sprint Run is noticeably better than any of the previous models. It seems like G-10 material is just getting better all the time.

I've wondered however what a Titanium handle would be like on this model?
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

In every way that matters to me, my new PE Ayoob is just fine.

Not least, the tight tolerances for which Moki was famed have been faithfully reproduced—with a solid lockup the result—and, yet, the pivot action is already like butter. And, I’m certainly happy to have another piece of Cruwear, and in a G10 color I very much like.

But I have some other thoughts about my sample, and how it has struck me.

My blade did not come typically sharp, but it now is. And an inadvertent grind on the kick took off some stock that I will have to match on the other side so my sense of symmetry does not drive me crazy.

These “flaws” might have seemed bigger had I not acquired a few years ago an earlier unused VG10 sprint and had my Ayoob itch well and truly scratched. Having the earlier one, though, has me missing its hollow-grind and pocket-clip on this one. The new clip just doesn’t suit my eye; it looks slapped on, rather than integral, even if perfectly functional.

Moreover, I miss being as elated with this one as I was with the earlier one. In part, I think this “letdown” has as much to do with my current fixation on larger Spydie Wharncliffes as with already having an Ayoob.

But, I said I’d get the new one, and so I have, and glad I am. Not only did Sal respond to his fans (me being one) and further his legend, he did something even more special.

Consider the Talkin’ Story I linked to earlier. It would seem that Sal is personally resurrecting Moki’s devastated shop by teaching Moki’s grandson some things Moki had taught Sal. Paying forward, so to speak. In this light, I’m really glad to have added to the demand.

What “flaws” does my sample have, really?

But, Sal, why does my blade say “Seki City Japan” and not just “Japan”?

EDIT TO ADD: Moving the clip has changed my thinking about it. With the new tip-up option, I can pocket the knife and not fight Woody Woopecker’s head, as when when the clip is in the tip-down position, to get other things in my RFP. In tip-down position the new clip, unlike the original one, also slightly obstructs my normal left-handled opening, but not now that I’ve moved it.

EDIT TO ADD: My elation is increasing.

EDIT TO ADD: Now that my kick is more symmetrical, my elation is maxed. Even so, my new Superhawk and my Canis are calling.
Last edited by wrdwrght on Sat Aug 27, 2022 10:19 am, edited 3 times in total.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
DLTJordan

Post by DLTJordan »

Waiting for the batch we ordered to come in - pretty excited about these!
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

Love that grip.

TheGiant80

Post by TheGiant80 »

5-by-5 wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:59 am
Love that grip.

Great photo! It has me considering PE after all..

Also, I was watching an older BladeHQ video on YouTube about what knives Spyderco employees actually carry. Super cool that Joyce had a beaten-up/well-loved original Ayoob with an anodized aluminum handle.
LindboKnifeandTool

Post by LindboKnifeandTool »

I am preforming rituals in hopes to increase my chances of getting one. I’ve been chanting incantations for days. I hope to get both :)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

5-by-5 wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:59 am
Love that grip.
Yeah the more I play with it and compare this new Sprint Run to either one of the older models it's truly a night & day difference between the grip of the older models compared to this newer model.

I don't think I've ever had a G-10 handle with the sure grip that this one has. Truly G-10 material is just getting better by the day. I doubt if any other material could beat what they've done on this model.
troutinCO

Post by troutinCO »

TheGiant80 wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:12 pm
I had no desire for one of these. After getting one in hand at the SFO on Saturday, it grew on me really fast. So fast that Monday after work I went and got a PE version with little hesitation. Get one, you will be bummed out if you don't.
TheGiant80

Post by TheGiant80 »

troutinCO wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:54 pm
TheGiant80 wrote:
I had no desire for one of these. After getting one in hand at the SFO on Saturday, it grew on me really fast. So fast that Monday after work I went and got a PE version with little hesitation. Get one, you will be bummed out if you don't.
I love this forum. My wallet hates this forum. Haha! Customs stole a knife I had shipped from the US, but I'm in the process of trying to get my money back from that. If it works out (and the Canadian retailer I buy 99% of my gear gets the Ayoob in), I think I'll have to pull the trigger on the PE. Thanks for your input!
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

I’m glad folks are mentioning the clip choice. I’m personally a little sad they didn’t go with the same style clip they used on previous versions (which is also the same clip on the foliage green JD Smith and brown Calypso sprints). I always appreciated they used the older-style clips with the Phillips head screws, now they went with the standard spoon clip but kept the screws? Why didn’t they just use standard Torx screws with this clip, or better yet use the original clip style? It’s driving my OCD a bit crazy (kind of like the wonky front serrations)!
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

This new Ayoob sprint is not tip down only, it has a four way clip so the lanyard hole would not have been functional with the old clip mounted tip up. It’s no longer pinned either, so the new clip allows access to the pivot screw with the clip mounted right hand tip down. Also, the Ayoob uses an hourglass clip not a spoon clip. :respect
-Nick :bug-red
ZetaH

Post by ZetaH »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:17 am
ZetaH wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:01 am
Hi!! A question to the members of the forum that you have obtained 1, are they hollow or ffg? I like the PE and SE model. Those of you who have both models, which one would you prefer? Due to the price I can only get one! Thank you
They officially have them listed as a "sabre grind". Looking at it under a magnifying glass from the side I think that's correct too. From my past experience with this model and I go all the way back to the one I picked up at the 2002 BLADE Show. Of all the C-60 Ayoob models I've had in the past they all cut and perform nicely.

But I'm not a guy that's hung up on what type of grind it has. I think it has a lot to do with the overall blade design and the type of blade steel in most cases. This is one where they got it right the first time around. Which is one of the big reasons I've always loved this model and in SE & PE both as well.
JD thanks for the quick and complete response! Thanks for the work of the spyderco team and Sal for listening to requests for special models. I can't wait for them to reach European distributors!
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Mark’s Outdoors Vestavia AL has several of each edge in stock. Call them and they ship.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

troutinCO wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:54 pm
TheGiant80 wrote:
Excellent testimony!!! and I've been totally convinced that once you guys got this Ayoob model in your hands and started playing with it and ultimately using it that it would grow on you exponentially. When the Ayoob model was released the first time back in the early 2000s it was truly "AHEAD of It's TIME". And I couldn't convince hardly anyone of that after I bought my first C-60 Ayoob.

All I heard is "It Looks Weird">> I never seen a folder quite like it>> it's too strange looking to be good>> What could it possibly be good for?>>> It's one of Spyderco's novelty items>>> and I could just go on and on about the off the wall comments I heard repeatedly about the C-60 Ayoob.

But for those who actually tried it and gave it a fair trial I would hear comments like what "TroutinCO" just said. Talk about preconceived notions!! Talk about judging a book by it's cover!!! Not to mention all the comments you heard from the guys and gals who never even had one in their hand. But TroutinCO just nailed it!!! And I challenge all of you to give it a fair trial.

And I bet that less than 10% will still not like it. I compare the C-60 Ayoob to Spyderco's other misunderstood blade i.e. The Dodo model. When I got my first Dodo back in 2003 I bought it as a collector piece and considered it nothing more than a novelty. Until I carried/EDCed it for a week and I was blown away at how useful that unusual design was. Think About it Folks!!! "You Absolutely Have To Use It To Realize Just How Good It Is" And I don't want to hear anything from those who are not willing to at least give it a fair trial run. With the C-60 Ayoob USING IS BELIEVING!!!
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Mushroom wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:14 pm
This new Ayoob sprint is not tip down only, it has a four way clip so the lanyard hole would not have been functional with the old clip mounted tip up. It’s no longer pinned either, so the new clip allows access to the pivot screw with the clip mounted right hand tip down. Also, the Ayoob uses an hourglass clip not a spoon clip. :respect

In a previous post, I mentioned that the clip has to be removed for disassembly. The pivot screw is bigger than the hole in the clip. I put mine to tip up and it looks like part of the clip covers one of the body screws. If you are lefty, there should be no problem at all. I'll take a photo later as I don't have the knife on me (stupid Boston knife laws). In the grand scheme of things, it is not that big of a deal. This knife is not a Sage 2; taking it apart and putting it back together was more work than I anticipated. This is a minor issue really. I know taking our knives apart is made to be a "big deal" on YouTube, but it won't stop me from enjoying the Ayoob.
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Here is the image. It looks like the clip is just overlapping with the body screw. Maybe it’s a problem, maybe it isn’t. I’m not finding out anytime soon.