C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
troutinCO

Re: C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Post by troutinCO »

Jurmuscle wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:38 pm
Which model clip is that? I've been tryna figure out which Lynch clip fits lol.
This is the lynchnw standard. FIt a treat re-using the stock screws.
Jurmuscle

Post by Jurmuscle »

troutinCO wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:06 pm
Jurmuscle wrote:
Did the Lynch screws not work?
:usflag :bug-red :bug-white-red :usflag
If we spent as much time trying as we do doubting, we might have already accomplished it.

-Tom
resonanzmacher

Post by resonanzmacher »

Jurmuscle wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:11 pm
troutinCO wrote:
Jurmuscle wrote:
Scales on the Ayoob are noticeably skinny compared to the ‘average’ Spyderco scales, which existing Lynch clips are built to fit.
Jurmuscle

Post by Jurmuscle »

resonanzmacher wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:21 pm
Jurmuscle wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:11 pm
troutinCO wrote:
Jurmuscle wrote:
Scales on the Ayoob are noticeably skinny compared to the ‘average’ Spyderco scales, which existing Lynch clips are built to fit.
Ahh so the Ayoob screws are shorter?
If we spent as much time trying as we do doubting, we might have already accomplished it.

-Tom
troutinCO

Post by troutinCO »

I would have to check at some point if they are shorter or not.
Jurmuscle

Post by Jurmuscle »

So you used standard clip with Ayoob screws?

-Tom
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I thought Casey includes extra hardware when shipping his clips? Any time I've bought clips from him in the past, I always received an extra set that was either longer or shorter, I'm pretty sure. Been a while since I've bought a different clip.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Jurmuscle

Post by Jurmuscle »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:04 pm
I thought Casey includes extra hardware when shipping his clips? Any time I've bought clips from him in the past, I always received an extra set that was either longer or shorter, I'm pretty sure. Been a while since I've bought a different clip.
Ya the 2 I got from him each had a set. Just wanted to make sure that they fit tho before using them if I ordered the standard clip lol.

-Tom
mark greenman

Post by mark greenman »

TheGiant80 wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:19 pm
p_atrick wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:24 am
Has anybody taken apart your knife? It was a royal pain in the rear to put back together; I wouldn’t recommend it. There were no washers. Just curious if anybody has seen the same thing.
No washers? Seriously?

Plot thickens..

(Also I'm enjoying all the passionate discussion in this thread)
The Ayoob (I have the Alumite and the first G10 sprint run) never used washers.

The design is like a high end custom 1911. They are fitted tight and stiff, with repeated cycling of 500-1000 required to polish them to a perfect, smooth yet rock solid lockup. At which point they just remain super solid for the duration. I find a small drop of lube dripped into the open lockbar-tang area helps once the break in is complete, but should be skipped before as it will reduce the polishing.

My Ayoobs are the most solid knives I own in terms of lockup and lack of blade play.

I just ordered (for a very stiff $300) a C60 Grey Serrated, I look forward to reporting back once it arrives. :bug-red
Demon85z

Post by Demon85z »

https://i.postimg.cc/HsGcjzp8/20220813-133100.jpg
I put mine up against the reveal and it's a mirror image. Loving this knife in every way!
:bug-red-white I collect them all, and use them all! I use the excuse, "I'm trying to find the perfect one", but in reality, they are all perfect in their own way!
troutinCO

Post by troutinCO »

Every lynch clip I have ordered has a little white paper envelope with spare screws in it. I don't use them unless I "screw" up. I didn't mess these up so didn't even think to check when they were out.

Next order of business since I cant leave well enough alone, and this is not a collector item for me.
Edge tuning for use....what dps to put on this. :thinking
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I'm probably going 15dps on mine.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

mark greenman wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:20 pm
TheGiant80 wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:19 pm
p_atrick wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:24 am
Has anybody taken apart your knife? It was a royal pain in the rear to put back together; I wouldn’t recommend it. There were no washers. Just curious if anybody has seen the same thing.
No washers? Seriously?

Plot thickens..

(Also I'm enjoying all the passionate discussion in this thread)
The Ayoob (I have the Alumite and the first G10 sprint run) never used washers.

The design is like a high end custom 1911. They are fitted tight and stiff, with repeated cycling of 500-1000 required to polish them to a perfect, smooth yet rock solid lockup. At which point they just remain super solid for the duration. I find a small drop of lube dripped into the open lockbar-tang area helps once the break in is complete, but should be skipped before as it will reduce the polishing.

My Ayoobs are the most solid knives I own in terms of lockup and lack of blade play.

I just ordered (for a very stiff $300) a C60 Grey Serrated, I look forward to reporting back once it arrives. :bug-red
Hey "Mark Greenman" I just knew deep down in my gut you would eventually show up once these Sprint Run C-60 Ayoob models arrived on the scene. You've been a fan of the C-60 Ayoob for as long as I can remember. Glad you were able to get one of this particular Sprint Run. Please let us know ASAP how you rate these new Ayoob models against the older Spyderco Ayoob models with VG-10 blade steel? I just know in my gut you are really going to love these new ones. I can't quit playing with the two that I've gotten. I've just got to free up some extra cash to be able to get another pair of them. Because this is one model that I desperately want a "back up unit" for.

Also as we've discussed in the past both the PE & SE C-60 Ayoob models are awesome. There aren't too many Spyderco models that I love the PE & SE equally >> but the C-60 Ayoob model is so ergonomically perfect. Glad you were able to obtain one my friend. I hope you end up getting both.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

xceptnl wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:28 pm
Ok JD, I'm on board for an SE and possibly PE.
Now, onto the good parts since Sal wants details.

Would we want the blade hollow ground or FF similar to the update the JD Smith model received with it's OD sprint. As for steels, I really would be fine with anything, though I do love the higher end steels.
One final point I would like to discuss is blade stock. Couldn't we keep this one to under 2.5mm?
OK Landon they are here now!!! And buddy we got the SE & PE both!!! I'm gonna hold you to it dude!!

Yeah that's right I'm going back through all the pages to make sure all the guys or gals on the thread are notified about the C-60 Ayoob Sprint Run being released.

I see it's been a few days since you were here last. I've sent you a PM and I hope you check in soon my friend!! :cheap-sunglasses
yowzer

Post by yowzer »

DSH007 wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:00 pm
I think maybe technically JIS, but my Wiha PH1 bit worked just fine for changing the clip orientation..
If it's JIS, there should be a little indentation/dot on the head.
ZrowsN1s wrote: this is why I bought a set of wiha torx screwdrivers with the big handles. Haven't stripped a screw since.
I have a set of Wiha Precision torx drivers for knives. Not full size, but they work quite well (Best bits I've used are Chapman Mfg. ones. Pricey, but US made and really high quality).
troutinCO

Post by troutinCO »

FYI:
Before I went to bed last night, I tried to stick a Lynch screw through the stock Ayoob clip and those screws did not fit through the holes. So I would wager that the screws on the Ayoob are different than normal. The Ayoob screws work with the Lynch clip so far as I can tell.
ZetaH

Post by ZetaH »

Hi!! A question to the members of the forum that you have obtained 1, are they hollow or ffg? I like the PE and SE model. Those of you who have both models, which one would you prefer? Due to the price I can only get one! Thank you
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

ZetaH wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:01 am
Hi!! A question to the members of the forum that you have obtained 1, are they hollow or ffg? I like the PE and SE model. Those of you who have both models, which one would you prefer? Due to the price I can only get one! Thank you
They officially have them listed as a "sabre grind". Looking at it under a magnifying glass from the side I think that's correct too. From my past experience with this model and I go all the way back to the one I picked up at the 2002 BLADE Show. Of all the C-60 Ayoob models I've had in the past they all cut and perform nicely.

But I'm not a guy that's hung up on what type of grind it has. I think it has a lot to do with the overall blade design and the type of blade steel in most cases. This is one where they got it right the first time around. Which is one of the big reasons I've always loved this model and in SE & PE both as well.
troutinCO

Post by troutinCO »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:56 pm
I'm probably going 15dps on mine.
I know mine is quite steep stock here, definitely over 20 dps each side. It is sharp but I just like to thin mine out behind the edge typically more than stock. I will probably do something with it this weekend since I will want to take my time with it.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

I went with PE. I missed the G10 reboot years back and was not missing this one.