BladeOps Elmax Shaman

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
unified

BladeOps Elmax Shaman

Post by unified »

New Shaman exclusive in Elmax and grey G10 coming soon. Personally don't have much experience with Elmax, what are your guys' thoughts?

Video from BladeOps

:bug-red Shaman #1 :bug-red
Mushroom

Re: BladeOps Elmax Shaman

Post by Mushroom »

Looks nice, I love the grey G10 Spyderco uses.
-Nick :bug-red
Spicy Suplex

Post by Spicy Suplex »

Seconding love for Spyderco's grey G10, the Shaman just ain't for me. Lovely knife though. Can't wait to get my hands on some new Elmax exlcusive someday!
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Mushroom wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:18 am
Looks nice, I love the grey G10 Spyderco uses.

Got an Ayoob, which is my first Spydie in grey G10. I agree, it is really nice looking. It is subtle and understated but it works really well.
Ranger_Ike

Post by Ranger_Ike »

Looks fantastic

$235
August 22 @9am mst

The link:
https://bladeops.com/spyderco-exclusive ... max-blade/
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

What does everyone think? I am a bit tempted on this one but the grey scales seem a bit boring/plastic looking compared to the recent releases like the Pakkawood Rex 45, Micarta z-wear or the brown burlap S90V.

How does this even compare to the green canvas micarta in M4 that is still available?

Also what does everyone thing of Elmax? How does it compare the recent releases mentioned above (Rex 45, z-wear, S90V, M4)?

Does anyone think this will be a hot seller or is it nothing special?

Sorry for all the questions but I would like some input as a $235 knife is a lot of money and if I am buying one I want to the right one if that makes sense.
Last edited by WilliamMunny on Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

looks like I am going to have 3 shamans I guess
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

I’m sure it’ll sell out but neither this nor the 204p version excite me enough to open my wallet.
unified

Post by unified »

Rinzler wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:14 pm
I’m sure it’ll sell out but neither this nor the 204p version excite me enough to open my wallet.
I'm in the same boat. Waiting on another run of Cruwear or a Magnacut exclusive before I get another
:bug-red Shaman #1 :bug-red
Vaugith

Post by Vaugith »

WilliamMunny wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:00 pm
What does everyone think? [...]
If you have questions about how steels compare, Larrins ratings are the place to reference.

https://knifesteelnerds.com/2021/10/19/ ... esistance/

Overall it's comparable in performance to s45vn, but without some of the additions in s45vn. Which means elmax should have more coarse grain structure and be a little more difficult to grind. Looks like elmax has it's larger carbides in the 4-5 micron range and s45vn in the 2-3 micron range.

Handle material - g10 is good for me. Great in use, easy to clean, very durable, not heavy. Never had a slipping issue with the shaman yet, even on slick smooth ti or zirc. Micarta is nice, but it's really a preference thing, not a performance thing. Personally Id take g10 between the two.

Only thing giving me hesitation (as a shaman steel collector) is the possibility of a future fradon lock marbled cf shaman in elmax... That would be a work of art, with the shamans contouring. But that is nothing close to a sure thing and if it does happen who knows when.

If you're new to the shaman and are evaluating which steel to choose, look at your use case first and foremost. For a basic EDC user I think this elmax version or the 204p either one would make a great choice.
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

Rinzler wrote:
I am having the same problem, in the market for my first Shaman but not sure if either really excite me. I think I like the green 204P better but really liked the previous canvas and brown micarta versions. Maybe I am just too picky but $240 for a knife is a lot of money.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
Jurmuscle

Post by Jurmuscle »

WilliamMunny wrote:
What does everyone think? I am a bit tempted on this one but the grey scales seem a bit boring/plastic looking compared to the recent releases like the Pakkawood Rex 45, Micarta z-wear or the brown burlap S90V.

How does this even compare to the green canvas micarta in M4 that is still available?

Also what does everyone thing of Elmax? How does it compare the recent releases mentioned above (Rex 45, z-wear, S90V, M4)?

Sorry for all the questions but I would like some input as a $235 knife is a lot of money and if I am buying one I want to the right one if that makes sense.
I think it's cool to hear peoples inputs. But I leaned that basing your decisions off what other people think can lead to something you might not like. If u like micarta better, get that. If you don't like grey g10, don't get it. Originally I knew what I wanted in my first knife for the most part. Then I let everyone influence me out of it. I still got a great knife. But just get what you think looks cool. Don't let people's preferences wheigh to heavily on yours. Just my opinion tho. Take care.
:usflag :bug-red :bug-white-red :usflag
If we spent as much time trying as we do doubting, we might have already accomplished it.

-Tom
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Between those two, being so similar Elmax/204P exclusives...I'd pick whichever color appeals to you more. I posted a photo of my 2 other KW exclusives for you to see in the other thread.

The Shaman scales are naturally smoother and more contoured than the Military and Para 3 that I had. So the color probably won't be identical, but no doubt will look great.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Ranger_Ike

Post by Ranger_Ike »

Jurmuscle wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:22 pm
WilliamMunny wrote:

I think it's cool to hear peoples inputs. But I leaned that basing your decisions off what other people think can lead to something you might not like. If u like micarta better, get that. If you don't like grey g10, don't get it. Originally I knew what I wanted in my first knife for the most part. Then I let everyone influence me out of it. I still got a great knife. But just get what you think looks cool. Don't let people's preferences wheigh to heavily on yours. Just my opinion tho. Take care.
As someone that has mostly exclusives or sprints, and doesn’t usually buy the “normal” versions, I can say that of all the runs of the shaman I still think Spyderco nailed it on there standard model. The stonewashed finish on the regular is amazing. The G10 is stunning, definitely not like the standard g10 finish on pm2’s and the like.

That being said, I am curious how the gray g10 looks compared to the black. If it has that same depth and character as the black g10, it could look great. I’d still pick the stonewashed s30v over elmax or 204p in satin though…

Edit to say: sorry I meant to quote/reply to just William
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

WilliamMunny wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:56 pm
Rinzler wrote:
I am having the same problem, in the market for my first Shaman but not sure if either really excite me. I think I like the green 204P better but really liked the previous canvas and brown micarta versions. Maybe I am just too picky but $240 for a knife is a lot of money.
I agree, $240 is a lot of money. And it’s enough money that I’d tell anyone to pause and make sure the knife is what they want and not to settle for something you’re not that into.

I typically only buy sprints and exclusives so these should excite me, but they don’t. The recent bhq exclusive looked visually appealing but I’m not a fan of m4 steel (generally). Instead of jumping to just be a buyer, I’m holding out for something that pleases me.

I suggest you think about how bad you want a shaman, right now, and whether you can hold out a bit longer. There will always be sprints and exclusives but can you wait???
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

The Shamans have pushed the boundary of what I’m willing to pay for a knife. If the DLC BHQ M4 version had been available first I’d have gotten it; but I have the satin M4 version. Added to the ZWEAR / micarta model, and that pretty well tops my needs. I would like to have gotten the s90v model to try that steel.
PStone

Post by PStone »

One more Shaman closer to my imaginary BentoBox K390 Ranger green.
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

Anyone notice the blade is stonewashed? Looks like the preorders are sold out.
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

PStone wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:40 am
One more Shaman closer to my imaginary BentoBox K390 Ranger green.
:cheap-sunglasses
cyberdemon8

Post by cyberdemon8 »

Bdubs808 wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:50 pm
Anyone notice the blade is stonewashed? Looks like the preorders are sold out.
The Bladeops video says it’s satin, though the description says stonewashed.