C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
R100

Re: C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Post by R100 »

If it can be done well with no washers then the blade is much better supported against side to side play.

Dan
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

sal wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:20 pm
JRinFL wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:04 am
Let’s try not to shut another Spyderco fan down. The complaints (hole finish and serrations) are valid even if you don’t share them. Spyderco has always shown they are open to comments, good or bad.
Hi Jim,

Amen!

Hey JD,

I guess I sorta lied. This maker just made their first knife with LC200N. The Subway Bowie. Apology. They do not have access to H2

On the washers, this particular maker does not use washers. They feel that it is better quality to polish the tang and liner so smooth that no washers are necessary. At one time, they were considered the best maker in the world, and then "The Rains came". I'll run the story down a bit later. I'm travelling.

sal
Wow!! that's interesting!! So there is just a slight glimmer of hope for a SALT version of the C-60 Ayoob down the road at some point maybe??? Because I can assure you there would be a lot of interest generated toward a SALT version of this C-60 Ayoob model I'm almost certain of it.

As far as the washers go; I guess if you don't need them then that settles it. Off the top of my head I can't think of any obvious advantages that you could obtain by adding them other than it would be easier to disassemble in some cases.
sal

Post by sal »

BTW JD,

Kristi as been hunting down pair of Ayoob's for you for your efforts in this project.

sal
troutinCO

Post by troutinCO »

Well.....I had a dream where I had this knife for some reason. It came about after checking it out in person saturday...so I'm going to go fulfill that dream today. Hopefully my flap of the butterfly wings here sends good vibes to Japan.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

You can't just add washers. The spacing needs to match all around the knife at each standoff or backspacer.
Michal O

Post by Michal O »

If it works fine without side play, then why. Some older Microtech knives worked also without washers, where you had steel blade vs aluminium scales like in Socom.
Current collection: Lil Temperance G10, Shaman, Lil Native, Massad Ayoob cruwear, Smock, Street Beat, Street Bowie, Para 3, PM2 purple G10 cruwear, Canis, Rhino, Endura 4 K390, Watu, Kapara, Amalgam, Sliverax, Police 4 se K390, Police 4 pe K390, Khukuri, Barong, Ulize.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

sal wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:17 am
BTW JD,

Kristi as been hunting down pair of Ayoob's for you for your efforts in this project.

sal
HALLELUHAH!!! Life Is Good!!! Only In America baby!!!! (as my ol' buddy Don King used to say)

GOD love you Sir and GOD bless the rest of the Spyderco staff members!!

Oh but be sure they don't get the C-60 Ayoob that belongs to Ms Joyce Laituri :fearful-face Because I know it's her favorite model too. :spiral-eyes
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:56 am
sal wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:17 am
BTW JD,

sal
HALLELUHAH!!! Life Is Good!!! Only In America baby!!!! (as my ol' buddy Don King used to say)

GOD love you Sir and GOD bless the rest of the Spyderco staff members!!

Oh but be sure they don't get the C-60 Ayoob that belongs to Ms Joyce Laituri :fearful-face Because I know it's her favorite model too. :spiral-eyes
JD, please check your private messages. :)

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

Sweet! :cheap-sunglasses
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

Last edited by Buddafucco on Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
•• Beau
Capt'n Boatsalot

Post by Capt'n Boatsalot »

Buddafucco wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:10 am
Thanks Budda! I was going to pass on this one, but Sal's insight about the maker pushed me back into the Buy column. Got a serrated one on the way from Wyalco.
MNOSD member 0030
Foundry81

Post by Foundry81 »

Capt'n Boatsalot wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:34 am
Buddafucco wrote:
Thanks Budda! I was going to pass on this one, but Sal's insight about the maker pushed me back into the Buy column. Got a serrated one on the way from Wyalco.
Same here, thanks!
Capt'n Boatsalot

Post by Capt'n Boatsalot »

Foundry81 wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:48 am
Capt'n Boatsalot wrote:
Buddafucco wrote:
Same here, thanks!
Don't want to clutter this thread unnecessarily (but will do so anyway)...
My Caly 3/3.5s are wonderful knives, and VERY smooth. Once I learned it was the same maker between those classics and the Ayoob, this just re-emphasized my need to support this specific maker and Spyderco.
MNOSD member 0030
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Capt'n Boatsalot wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:52 am
Foundry81 wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:48 am
Capt'n Boatsalot wrote:
Buddafucco wrote:
Same here, thanks!
Don't want to clutter this thread unnecessarily (but will do so anyway)...
My Caly 3/3.5s are wonderful knives, and VERY smooth. Once I learned it was the same maker between those classics and the Ayoob, this just re-emphasized my need to support this specific maker and Spyderco.
As long as the subject matter of a C-60 Ayoob is part of your post you can feel free to talk all you want on this thread. I want this to be end-all thread of anything exhaustive, authoritative or even anything remotely related to the C-60 Ayoob model.

Anything you or any other Brethren have to say about or related to the C-60 Ayoob model then let's do it all on this thread. And if it goes for 500+ pages then so be it. Your comments are always welcome here Brother.
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

Mine just arrived! :smiling-heart-eyes

It definitely has a bit of a snaggletooth, which seems more or less obvious based on the angle you're looking at it from. I don't mind it. I just got the knife, so I've only cut a little bit of cardboard to test the initial edge at this point.. but I don't see it being a big deal in normal use.

Opinions on the snaggletooth aside, the blade is wickedly sharp. Overall construction/f&f is outstanding.. lockup is solid, w/o play.. ergos are great, if a little unusual.. scales/backspacer/lockbar are all flush with the liners, etc.. There's a lot to like here. With the exception of much-debated wonky serration at the tip, I can find no other issue with my Ayoob. It's definitely different from any other knife that I have and I'm happy to have the opportunity to own one!
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

My local shop has 4 PE and 3 SE. they do not have web orders but you can call and they will ship. Mark’s Outdoors in Vestavia AL. I manipulated most of the samples and they are top notch and the SE does not look wonky at all
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

Congrats JD! I just got shipping notification for my PE, can’t wait.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Freediver wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:57 pm
Congrats JD! I just got shipping notification for my PE, can’t wait.
Well Congratulations are in order for you too my friend. You'll love I'm certain. If not let me know.

It's been a long haul getting this project done but in some ways that kind of made it more exciting when it finally arrived.

I do believe that the C-60 model is going to catapult to new levels. I don't believe that this knife ever got the accolades that it richly deserved. The future demand for this C-60 model will be much bigger than most anyone would have ever imagined.

I just hope that there will be more C-60 models in the future. But that will depend on how you all end up liking it.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Check out Jeff’s report in the “Talkin’ Story” thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=92355&p=1647827#p1647827

It’s simply miraculous this sprint got done.
Last edited by wrdwrght on Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
mb1

Post by mb1 »

That handle is thin! Length to spare too. I can get a full grip behind the first finger groove. I guess that adds reach and leverage, but didn’t realize that until I had it in hand.

Pretty good transition to SE on this one.

- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man