Sal, what are your thoughts on the SE pattern on the new Ayoob?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Freediver

Re: Sal, what are your thoughts on the SE pattern on the new Ayoob?

Post by Freediver »

Thanks for sharing the story, Sal. I am honored to have an Ayoob on the way and am truly rooting for the Grandson to succeed. Things like this are what keep me coming back to Spyderco.
James Y

Post by James Y »

sal wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:05 pm
Talkin' Story;

We began working with this maker in 1988. At the time, they were considered by most experts, even in Japan to be THE premier quality knife maker in the world. It is/was a small family business consisting of the "Old Man", who was the driving force. He had more than 80 patents on his designs and they produced a small number pieces.

The "Old Man's" wife handled the office. There were two sons. One handled sales (#2 son) and one handled the factory with his father (#1 son). His wife also helped with the office.

Then one day, with no warning, the Father had a stroke and was no longer able to work. The Father's wife had to stop working to take care of the Father. Now the sons are running the company with the Patriarch and the Patriarch's Wife no longer involved. Very challenging, even devastating. They had one major lower quality customer (A Hardware chain) that carried the company. A few special customers like Spyderco and their normal consumer direct line.

Then "The Rains came". In one year, the Father passed away. The Mother passed away. #1 son had a stroke, and #1's son's wife passed away. Now the Grandson is running the factory and he really wasn't ready. Then the main Hardware chain found a less expensive supplier. The family was devastated.

We brought the Grandson to our factory in Golden to try to get him better trained and brought into the 21st Century manufacturing. Ir has been a long road and they are beginning to get back on track which pleases us and we're helping.

All of the people that headed up and made the original model 11 years ago are no longer alive, and this project was a major mountain to climb just to be able to make them. We're very proud of their achievement in this Sprint, while not perfect, is a major milestone in their rebirth. Those of you that are disappointed, you have my apologies, and if you are not pleased to accept the "funky tooth", you should return the piece and let someone else have it. We will not likely make this model again as we encourage and help the family restore their skill.

sal

Wow. Thank you for sharing that, Sal. The family running Moki has been through so much, just one heartbreak after another, in such a short time period. I sure hope they can recover and thrive once again to the fullest extent. Thanks, Sal , for doing your best to help the grandson, to hopefully make the company what it once was, and perhaps even greater.

Jim
Michal O

Post by Michal O »

Stories like that change view on many aspects.

Serrations near tip looks a little funky and different but when I saw it first time, I just thought: "it's probably the way it must be with this blade geometry". Anyway I'm more into plain edge but Polish dealers probably will not get much choice if any.
Current collection: Lil Temperance G10, Shaman, Lil Native, Massad Ayoob cruwear, Smock, Street Beat, Street Bowie, Para 3, PM2 purple G10 cruwear, Canis, Rhino, Endura 4 K390, Watu, Kapara, Amalgam, Sliverax, Police 4 se K390, Police 4 pe K390, Khukuri, Barong, Ulize.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

sal wrote:
Talkin' Story;

We began working with this maker in 1988. At the time, they were considered by most experts, even in Japan to be THE premier quality knife maker in the world. It is/was a small family business consisting of the "Old Man", who was the driving force. He had more than 80 patents on his designs and they produced a small number pieces.

The "Old Man's" wife handled the office. There were two sons. One handled sales (#2 son) and one handled the factory with his father (#1 son). His wife also helped with the office.

Then one day, with no warning, the Father had a stroke and was no longer able to work. The Father's wife had to stop working to take care of the Father. Now the sons are running the company with the Patriarch and the Patriarch's Wife no longer involved. Very challenging, even devastating. They had one major lower quality customer (A Hardware chain) that carried the company. A few special customers like Spyderco and their normal consumer direct line.

Then "The Rains came". In one year, the Father passed away. The Mother passed away. #1 son had a stroke, and #1's son's wife passed away. Now the Grandson is running the factory and he really wasn't ready. Then the main Hardware chain found a less expensive supplier. The family was devastated.

We brought the Grandson to our factory in Golden to try to get him better trained and brought into the 21st Century manufacturing. Ir has been a long road and they are beginning to get back on track which pleases us and we're helping.

All of the people that headed up and made the original model 11 years ago are no longer alive, and this project was a major mountain to climb just to be able to make them. We're very proud of their achievement in this Sprint, while not perfect, is a major milestone in their rebirth. Those of you that are disappointed, you have my apologies, and if you are not pleased to accept the "funky tooth", you should return the piece and let someone else have it. We will not likely make this model again as we encourage and help the family restore their skill.

sal
This is a major reason why we keep coming back to Spyderco. I was going to skip this run as I already bought a PITS, but I think I might have to stretch a bit to help out.

Thank you Sal for the transparency and for Doing The Right Thing.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Thanks for the story Sal. I'm glad I got the Ayoob if only to help the Moki maker in a very small way. I'm curious about the next models to come from them. I might push them up my priority list.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

sal wrote:
Talkin' Story;

Stories like this make me enjoy and appreciate Spyderco even more.
This kind of attitude is one (of many) reasons why I am exclusively into Spyderco these days when it comes to folders.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Michal O

Post by Michal O »

I would welcome Caly 3.5 K390 from them.
Current collection: Lil Temperance G10, Shaman, Lil Native, Massad Ayoob cruwear, Smock, Street Beat, Street Bowie, Para 3, PM2 purple G10 cruwear, Canis, Rhino, Endura 4 K390, Watu, Kapara, Amalgam, Sliverax, Police 4 se K390, Police 4 pe K390, Khukuri, Barong, Ulize.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Thanks for the history on this maker, very interesting. Good on you for sticking with them and helping.
resonanzmacher

Post by resonanzmacher »

Bought two. Was very happy even with the snaggly serration at the tip. Ordered two more and a Moki Rabbit to boot (which I quite like) and was starting to wonder if I was going overboard. Then I read the story. Righteous.

It's nice having knives this well put together and well designed and so different from a lot of what's out on the market right now, but take all that and put the story on top, the decision to honor the past, restore the present, and commit to the future, and I am VERY pleased with how I've spent my money here.

Looking forward to seeing the next collaboration between two companies that give a ****, I think it's great that it all happened because someone like JD gave a ****, and I'm certainly happy to play my part as the consumer who gives a ****.
Jurmuscle

Post by Jurmuscle »

sal wrote:
Talkin' Story;

sal
After hearing the story, I love this model even more.
:usflag :bug-red :bug-white-red :usflag
If we spent as much time trying as we do doubting, we might have already accomplished it.

-Tom
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

sal wrote:
Talkin' Story;

sal
What a story. What a fine man you are to shepherd the grandson. I went with the PE Ayoob and I was glad this resprint happened. Mine is very high quality
DLTJordan

Post by DLTJordan »

I am thrilled that this project came to be, despite the various issues that had to be overcome. IMO the serration pattern is fine and not a functional issue, certainly not something I would return an item over. I sincerely appreciate Spyderco and Sal for how they listen to their community and make projects like this happen - runs like this are special and rare in the community. With most other brands, a design like this wouldn't get made, let alone re-run years later. I think its absolutely fantastic to see this come out again, especially such a special configuration.