C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TkoK83Spy

Re: C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Each dealer is only getting a handful of these knives at a time. It's no surprise that their selling out fast right now. I'd pump brakes on the overall hype until there's a legit quantity of inventory available. Doesn't strike me as a model you need to be on the edge of your seat for once a dealer gets more than 10 of these or so at a time.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

I just picked up a PE from Spyderco, thanks for the heads up. I’ve been trying to cut back on my knife purchases in general but no way I can pass up the return of the Ayoob.
Jurmuscle

Post by Jurmuscle »

Freediver wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:25 pm
I just picked up a PE from Spyderco, thanks for the heads up. I’ve been trying to cut back on my knife purchases in general but no way I can pass up the return of the Ayoob.
I got the SE. Congrats.🙂
:usflag :bug-red :bug-white-red :usflag
If we spent as much time trying as we do doubting, we might have already accomplished it.

-Tom
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Mushroom wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:39 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:59 pm
p_atrick wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 11:30 am
National Knives seems to have both variants in stock.

SE - https://www.nationalknives.com/spyderco ... gray-g-10/
PE - https://www.nationalknives.com/spyderco ... gray-g-10/

UPDATE - The SE is out of stock
This is getting interesting. Especially when our good Brother "MUSHROOM" predicted just the opposite ( and I thought he was right at first). But on the other hand it doesn't surprise me all that much because even at the beginning stages of this thread there was a constant flow of requests for the SE version. And all throughout the thread there was a consistent amount of requests for the serrated version.

Now it seems that the SE is outselling the PE in some cases. It is getting interesting needless to say.
Well to be fair, that’s just one example so far and its still kind of early. Many dealers could still be getting their premiere shipments. We don’t know how many Ayoobs they had available in general, let alone how many of each edge type in particular. They could have had 7 plain edge and 3 serrated edge for all we know.

The information may have been given somewhere but I don’t think we are aware of how many of each edge type Spyderco had produced. I would question if it was an equal amount per edge type or were the production numbers offset? For example, say it was a 1200 piece total - was it 600 SE and 600 PE or something like 400 SE and 800 PE?

None the less I could still end up being wrong, it certainly wouldn’t be the first time! The serrated edge variant might just sell at a faster pace than the plain edge variant even if I don’t expect it to. It would be an anomaly from what I’ve seen in the past but it’s certainly not impossible.
The main thrust of what I was getting at is that I truly thought you were going to be right. And I'm not completely basing this on the total amount of SE requests that went forth from this thread>> but I will admit that the requests for the serrated unit was much more than I originally expected. Once some of the guys get their SE version and start using it I think you're going to see some really great unexpected feedback.

This is one of the few models that people used to brag about in SE in years past. Particularly a guy who used to be on the Forum a lot in years gone by>> i.e. Doc Snubnose. He did a review on the SE version of the original model from the early 2000s where he did a controlled meat cutting test and he said he was blown away at how well it performed. At the time he wrote that there were not many people bragging about SE units of hardly any Spyderco SE model. And I do believe when some of the guys see first hand how good this model performs in SE I do think we'll eventually see all of the available SE units get sold out. Actually I think all of them PE & SE will sell out by no later than 90 days and probably sooner.

Sure I could be wrong but based on the e-mails and other information I'm getting and what I'm reading on the forums I think it's gonna be hard to land either one of the C-60 models by Halloween of this year. Because once people start using them they are going to see how nice these C-60s handle. They will sell themselves!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 6:30 pm
Each dealer is only getting a handful of these knives at a time. It's no surprise that their selling out fast right now. I'd pump brakes on the overall hype until there's a legit quantity of inventory available. Doesn't strike me as a model you need to be on the edge of your seat for once a dealer gets more than 10 of these or so at a time.
Even so we've only seen a trickle of them released so far I'm still surprised at how fast they are selling. Especially with a $200+ price tag in a not so good economy as well. And I can tell you with the two of them ( PE & SE) on my desk that I've been playing with these C-60 Sprint Run models are screaming to be used. I definitely want to keep a pair for back up and a pair to immediately put in my EDC rotation.

Even the times recently I've been using my 2011 Sprint Run with VG-10 no less I still love using this model. But with CRUWEAR blade steel it's a completely new ball game all together. This is the type of EDC user I could retire with if times get bad and I have to give up my hobby. And I'm sure there will be more people using them as their main EDC.

Again I think all dealers will be most likely out of stock by probably Halloween of this year. I haven't even checked Bladeforums yet. I'm sure there will be some talk over there soon.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

ladybug93 wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:26 pm
…i'm still irritated by the issue, it's implications, and the response from some around here to honest discussion, but none of that is the knife's fault….
Hey ladybug, I hope I’m not one of those people. Just wanted to reiterate (or clarify). I clearly see the issue with the grind. I am NOT trying to make out like it doesn’t exist or tell you that it shouldn’t bother you. It is true though that I can see some functional application. I can imagine some good use case scenarios of having a sharp raised transition between the serrated and PE section. I would genuinely like to try something like that in actual use and see how it performs. Yes, it is likely a “flaw” and even if that (accidental?) concept does turn out to work well in actual use then I would still want it executed more precisely if used in another design.

My apologies if I came off as being dismissive or like I was telling you that your point of view was without merit. The truth is, (and I’ve said this around here before) I’m pretty indifferent about what I consider minor visual flaws that don’t affect performance. I’m glad I’m that way, but I’m also glad that there are people who are much more demanding. If everyone was like me then there would be no pressure on companies to hold themselves to their highest standards. Most companies appreciate having customers like me, but the best and the smartest ones appreciate having those more exacting customers.
Michal O

Post by Michal O »

I think these days people are more aware about aesthetics than 10 years ago and earlier. Things that would be unnoticed in 2010, now are issue. Like in my case with spyderhole finish in other model.
Current collection: Lil Temperance G10, Shaman, Lil Native, Massad Ayoob cruwear, Smock, Street Beat, Street Bowie, Para 3, PM2 purple G10 cruwear, Canis, Rhino, Endura 4 K390, Watu, Kapara, Amalgam, Sliverax, Police 4 se K390, Police 4 pe K390, Khukuri, Barong, Ulize.
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Michal O wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:57 am
I think these days people are more aware about aesthetics than 10 years ago and earlier. Things that would be unnoticed in 2010, now are issue. Like in my case with spyderhole finish in other model.

Apples and oranges. Yours is just an issue of aesthetics and arguably doesn't even affect knife performance in the slightest. The serration patterns may have a bearing on how the SE performs in actual use. Please, kindly stop pushing your aesthetic issues on one knife and correlating it to this.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Let’s try not to shut another Spyderco fan down. The complaints (hole finish and serrations) are valid even if you don’t share them. Spyderco has always shown they are open to comments, good or bad.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Surfingringo wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:26 am
no worries, dude. we're good. you know, it's funny... spyderco is the upper limit of my collection. they set the bar of my expectations themselves. it's not like i buy $500 knives and then get mad when a $200 knife doesn't match that quality. this is spyderco not matching spyderco quality in a special sprint run. i'm fine letting the flaw itself go, because it'll sharpen out, but i don't like the slip and the reaction.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Jurmuscle

Post by Jurmuscle »

The very tip was just a dash high on 1 side of my PM2 bevel. I just accepted it lol. It did make me wonder a tad. But like you said it will sharpen out.
Attachments
Compress_20220814_082748_8550.jpg
:usflag :bug-red :bug-white-red :usflag
If we spent as much time trying as we do doubting, we might have already accomplished it.

-Tom
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:13 pm
Mushroom wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:39 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:59 pm
p_atrick wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 11:30 am
Well to be fair, that’s just one example so far and its still kind of early. Many dealers could still be getting their premiere shipments. We don’t know how many Ayoobs they had available in general, let alone how many of each edge type in particular. They could have had 7 plain edge and 3 serrated edge for all we know.

The information may have been given somewhere but I don’t think we are aware of how many of each edge type Spyderco had produced. I would question if it was an equal amount per edge type or were the production numbers offset? For example, say it was a 1200 piece total - was it 600 SE and 600 PE or something like 400 SE and 800 PE?

None the less I could still end up being wrong, it certainly wouldn’t be the first time! The serrated edge variant might just sell at a faster pace than the plain edge variant even if I don’t expect it to. It would be an anomaly from what I’ve seen in the past but it’s certainly not impossible.
The main thrust of what I was getting at is that I truly thought you were going to be right. And I'm not completely basing this on the total amount of SE requests that went forth from this thread>> but I will admit that the requests for the serrated unit was much more than I originally expected. Once some of the guys get their SE version and start using it I think you're going to see some really great unexpected feedback.

This is one of the few models that people used to brag about in SE in years past. Particularly a guy who used to be on the Forum a lot in years gone by>> i.e. Doc Snubnose. He did a review on the SE version of the original model from the early 2000s where he did a controlled meat cutting test and he said he was blown away at how well it performed. At the time he wrote that there were not many people bragging about SE units of hardly any Spyderco SE model. And I do believe when some of the guys see first hand how good this model performs in SE I do think we'll eventually see all of the available SE units get sold out. Actually I think all of them PE & SE will sell out by no later than 90 days and probably sooner.

Sure I could be wrong but based on the e-mails and other information I'm getting and what I'm reading on the forums I think it's gonna be hard to land either one of the C-60 models by Halloween of this year. Because once people start using them they are going to see how nice these C-60s handle. They will sell themselves!
Right, I know, I understood exactly what you were saying. The main point of what I was getting at is that it’s still early and it’s difficult to gauge actual interest based off of these premiere shipments. We don’t know how many pieces each dealer receives. They could only have one or two pieces, so it should not come as a surprise when they’re sold out in under 10 minutes.

There’s not a single doubt in my mind that this knife will sell out anywhere it’s available. I just don’t think it will be happening at the pace of a more popular model. If it takes literal months to sell out, as you’re also predicting, that will be pretty close to in line with what I was originally predicting. There should be ample opportunity to purchase this knife, especially the serrated edge version. :respect
-Nick :bug-red
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Fair enough. We'll see how it plays out.

But I am seeing just as much interest in the SE as I am the PE thus far. But that could change at some point. I hope for Spyderco's sake that it's a real profitable success. They deserve it for going out on a limb like they did.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Last thing I will say on the SE flaw and then we will get to enjoying the model- if the same maker who made every past variation made this sprint with the same tooling, how did it happen? Did they let some new guy do the grinding? The the QC guy come back from a smoke break and be like “oh crap you have run 50 of the SE wrong”. I guess my struggle is how did it happen on the same tooling and how did it not get corrected after the first one? I have never seen a SE on a Tenacious series look this off and would assume a Seki maker is better? Again, last I will say and then move on
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

twinboysdad wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:35 am
Last thing I will say on the SE flaw and then we will get to enjoying the model- if the same maker who made every past variation made this sprint with the same tooling, how did it happen? Did they let some new guy do the grinding? The the QC guy come back from a smoke break and be like “oh crap you have run 50 of the SE wrong”. I guess my struggle is how did it happen on the same tooling and how did it not get corrected after the first one? I have never seen a SE on a Tenacious series look this off and would assume a Seki maker is better? Again, last I will say and then move on
It's really hard to say without knowing anything about their manufacturing process. I'm sure all the companies that Spyderco sub-contracts to all have different manufacturing protocols. As quality minded as most of those serious Japanese knife makers seem to be I'm really baffled by this one my own self. I can't see how they were allowed to leave the factory or manufacturing facility.

But I do believe that only a small percentage of them were done that way. The one SE model I got this past week didn't have that flaw. Mine looks letter perfect. And a good friend of mine I've known for years got an SE unit and he told me his looked A-OK. It seems like the first batch that maybe left the factory were the ones that had that problem>> I could be wrong but that's what it appears like to me.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

You can’t compare the Tenacious to a sprint run Massad Ayoob. Strictly on a volume basis there is more time to practice, more you can second off (since they are cheap and in steady production), the blade shape and steel are totally different, etc.

All this assuming the teeth are a mistake and not by intent or strictly based on blade length/angle and grind wheel limitations. Rather than assuming a small artisanal highly skilled knife shop “put the new guy on it” I would be curious about all the other scenarios at play. Apathy and incompetence are the low hanging fruits of consumer theorycrafting…I’m just curious for maker insight.

Personally, this new world where serrated knives are beautiful is confusing. Nice to come back from a 8 year hiatus though and see more people care about them, lol.
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Has anybody taken apart your knife? It was a royal pain in the rear to put back together; I wouldn’t recommend it. There were no washers. Just curious if anybody has seen the same thing.
Michal O

Post by Michal O »

nerdlock wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:38 am
Michal O wrote:

Apples and oranges. Yours is just an issue of aesthetics and arguably doesn't even affect knife performance in the slightest. The serration patterns may have a bearing on how the SE performs in actual use. Please, kindly stop pushing your aesthetic issues on one knife and correlating it to this.
I can bet most people buy that sprint for collection not serious use for self defense and this issue is also more aesthetics than how it preforms, so please, kindly stop silencing me in future.

Edit- maybe I have wrong impression but your posts towards me seems condescending.
Last edited by Michal O on Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current collection: Lil Temperance G10, Shaman, Lil Native, Massad Ayoob cruwear, Smock, Street Beat, Street Bowie, Para 3, PM2 purple G10 cruwear, Canis, Rhino, Endura 4 K390, Watu, Kapara, Amalgam, Sliverax, Police 4 se K390, Police 4 pe K390, Khukuri, Barong, Ulize.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Michal O wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:31 am
nerdlock wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:38 am
Michal O wrote:

I can bet most people buy that sprint for collection not serious use for self defense and this issue is also more aesthetics than how it preforms, so please, kindly stop silencing me in future.
I think that's a very accurate, astute observation and one I can't argue with. I'm probably an exception to that rule. Because at first I was just going to get one PE and one SE and put them in my user rotation. I got them all right but I also fell deeply in love with them from a "collector's standpoint". And I'm not all that big of a collector per se even though I do have a modest collection I've acquired over the years. But these C-60 Sprint Run models are so nice from both ends of the spectrum i.e. to use and collect.

So I'm going to get two more within the next ten days when I get some more cash freed up. Because Sal said that there was not going to be any more C-60 Ayoob models made with CRUWEAR>> and they will disappear fast I'm sure. Not only are they unique and high quality as collector pieces and they are going to be proven to be excellent EDC/user blades as well. This is one model where the serrated version has as much respect as the plain edged version.

There's always been a cult following of this model over the years since it was first released in 2001 and it's popularity has only grown in the past year or so with many newer fans learning of this model. Get them while you can. Because they sure won't be cheaper or easier to find later on.
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

•• Beau