Stretch XL discussion

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: Stretch XL discussion

Post by Wartstein »

Michal O wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:18 pm
I don't like blade play, also CL is stronger lock.
Ah, ok, I thought you were literally talking about the looks ("good looking alternative")... :grin-sweat

True, if one wants have the guarantee of certainly no "Seki lockrock" the comp.lock would do that.

Stronger though? :thinking
I am not aware of any data that would support this. I feel (no data too, to be clear) that a backlock is at least as strong. Supported perhaps a bit by Sal and Eric saying that on really large folders like the Police they like a backlock particularly for its exceptional strength.
Not a thing anyway, both more than strong enough (multiple times I guess), but saying with certainty that one is stronger than the other is nothing I could do.

I personally am glad that this great model has a backlock. For me better ergos (no cutout, closed back), better usability with gloves and imo the most versatile.

But: If they made an additional CL version of this great knife: Just fine! :smlling-eyes
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
vivi

Post by vivi »

I'm not sure which is ultimately stronger, but the comp lock has been used on large folders as well. Szabo folder comes to mind, as well as the Yojumbo and upcoming Millie 2.

I have full confidence in the strength of either lock.
:unicorn
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

vivi wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:48 pm
I'm not sure which is ultimately stronger, but the comp lock has been used on large folders as well. Szabo folder comes to mind, as well as the Yojumbo and upcoming Millie 2.

I have full confidence in the strength of either lock.
True of course!
As said: I don't know either which would be stronger ultimately, but both are certainly several times stronger than needed... also and especially on large folders.

I was just "quoting" Sal and Eric to put things into perspecrive and point out that the backlock must also be strong and imo one can't definitely say the CL is "stronger".

But, again: Not a thing in "real life " anyway.
I mean the Millie LINERlock is more than strong enough and as I see it a linerlock should technically be "weaker" than CL and BL
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:46 am
kennethsime wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:38 am
Bolster wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:57 pm
Looking for a report from someone who has used the S-XL as their primary backpacking knife?
I went backpacking with my Stretch 2 in ZDP-189 quite a bit, and it was a fantastic companion. I can only imagine the new Stretch 2XL would feel the same - especially when DLT gets an OD Green + Cruwear exclusive. :smiling-heart-eyes
WHAT ? Where did I miss this info ? Sounds great . Dan
Simply wishful thinking on my part, so far.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
TheGiant80

Post by TheGiant80 »

I need to stop reading this thread. S2XL SE is currently in my cart..
Michal O

Post by Michal O »

I never experienced CL fail, but I saw BL from Seki City with broken locking tooth in friends Endura (fixed with welding), and my Police and Endura 4 both had prominent lock rock without any heavy use. I wouldn't even mind FRN, but BL is something I had bad memories with. All my Spyderco folders have CL. Anyway I'm going to try with some smaller and cheaper knife like Dragonfly how CQI works in this case.
Current collection: Lil Temperance G10, Shaman, Lil Native, Massad Ayoob cruwear, Smock, Street Beat, Street Bowie, Para 3, PM2 purple G10 cruwear, Canis, Rhino, Endura 4 K390, Watu, Kapara, Amalgam, Sliverax, Police 4 se K390, Police 4 pe K390, Khukuri, Barong, Ulize.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

kennethsime wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:00 pm
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:46 am
kennethsime wrote:
Bolster wrote:
Looking for a report from someone who has used the S-XL as their primary backpacking knife?
I went backpacking with my Stretch 2 in ZDP-189 quite a bit, and it was a fantastic companion. I can only imagine the new Stretch 2XL would feel the same - especially when DLT gets an OD Green + Cruwear exclusive. :smiling-heart-eyes
WHAT ? Where did I miss this info ? Sounds great . Dan
Simply wishful thinking on my part, so far.
That is great wishful thinking I’m all in . Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Catamount123

Post by Catamount123 »

I believe Sal mentioned a while back that a Cruwear version of the Stretch XL is in the works? Can anyone confirm this?

Edit: Never mind, found it:
sal wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:15 pm
…I'm planning the design in VG-10, CPM-Cruwear, K390 and a sprint in SPY27.
I don't get people who only carry one knife :thinking ;)
Catamount123

Post by Catamount123 »

I’m sure many are eager for K390 and SPY27, but I hope they are released in the order of Sal's post ;)
I don't get people who only carry one knife :thinking ;)
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Catamount123 wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:47 am
I’m sure many are eager for K390 and SPY27, but I hope they are released in the order of Sal's post ;)
I also hope scales will come in different colors that are in place with steels on other models . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Going by the quite many pics especially in the "what Spyderco is in your pocket" thread the "XL" seems to be quite popular around here - and that despite the fact that many as usual want to wait for something else than VG10 and black FRN (I personally am perfectly fine with that though... ok, wait, an Endura-blue handle would be nice ;) )

And rightfully so: Can´t imagine that anyone (even those who like to carry heavier knives in the end) could not appreciate what an amazing cutting tool Sal created here - with an incredible "weight to performance" ratio imo.

Wonder though how the model does generally on the market... ?!
The Stretch has always been a bit of a hidden gem - don´t know if the name "Stretch 2 XL" helps with sales, seen in that light (though it fits perfectly well, don´t get me wrong, and people who have always been appreciating the amazing Stretch line will know what they get with the XL and get what they want).
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

kennethsime wrote:
Bolster wrote:

Thanks man! Looking forward to carrying one...
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Manifestgtr

Post by Manifestgtr »

Catamount123 wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:30 am
I believe Sal mentioned a while back that a Cruwear version of the Stretch XL is in the works? Can anyone confirm this?

Edit: Never mind, found it:
sal wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:15 pm
…I'm planning the design in VG-10, CPM-Cruwear, K390 and a sprint in SPY27.
Cruwear and k390 versions of this model are going to be serious contenders in my “favorite seki” category…might even beat out my crucarta delica which is the current number one. VG10 is great but this knife in a high octane tool steel would be a new level altogether.
Crucarta: Shaman (x2), Manix 2, Lil Native, Delica, GB2 & PM2
Notable: 52100 and Cruwear Millie. “15v-arta” Shaman. REC Manix. K-carta Endura, P4, Dragonfly and Delica.
Favorites: Shaman, Sage 5 lightweight, Sheeps Caribbean, Manix, Endela and all things Stretch
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

kennethsime wrote:
Bolster wrote:

... Hi Kenneth,

imo not the same, but even better :beaming-face (especially for backpacking!)

Lighter, but gives you a lot more edge to work with, which is nice and only a good thing imo.

Straight spine vs the original blade shape of the ZDP Stretch 2 ? Depends.. sometimes the stronger tip of the latter is nice to have, sometimes rather the pointier splinter (and ticks...) picking tip of the former.

The straight spine is also a better scraper (thanks to Vivi for pointing that out to me - I do use the spines of my folders in that capacity sometimes).
derangedhermit

Post by derangedhermit »

The Stretch 2XL I bought in May is now my main EDC knife, replacing the Pac Salt 2 FFG, which replaced my Endura 4, which bumped the Police 4 LW out of my knife pocket. (The Police 4 LW is still my favorite in its size range.)

Random notes, that may or may not be as accurate for others as they are for me:

- the black hardware from the Pac Salt 2 - two Chicago posts and screws, three scale screws, three clip screws and clip - fits my Stretch 2XL perfectly, or at least seemed to when I swapped them. I like handle hardware that matches the scale color. (If this is misinformation, I hope it is corrected here!)

- from the point of the index finger choil back, the Stretch 2XL grip size and shape is almost identical to the Rockjumper. There are very small differences in shaping that do make a difference in hand. I like the slightly sharper curve at each end of the scales, and find it interesting that a small difference makes a substantial difference in security when pushing or pulling. The Stretch 2XL grip has a slightly sharper curve at the front (blade end), and the Rockjumper has a slightly sharper curve at the butt than the Stretch 2XL. But mostly the two are very very similar in both size and shape.

- One difference on the blade that is huge for me is the thumb ramp. I very much prefer the straighter thumb ramp on the Stretch 2XL, which has much less curve than the Rockjumper.

- the extra-large opening hole and clear access to it makes it slightly easier and more sure to open (for me and my 3XL hands) than even my Endura 4 and Pac Salt 2, and much easier than my Native and Chief.

- the light weight due to linerless construction is a big plus to me. That's what moved me from the Endura 4 to the Pac Salt 2 FFG, and light weight is significant for my EDC.

Where the Stretch 2XL falls short of personal perfection for me:

- The scale shape. I wish the belly on the Stretch 2XL scales was less pronounced. It looks great, but my hand prefers a more subtle palm / finger swell. I do prefer the shape to the Endura finger swells style shape.

- The index finger choil. It works for me, about as well as an index finger choil can for someone who doesn't like them. I look forward to the Sequoia - except I assume the Sequoia will have liners like the Rockjumper (and so be heavier), and maybe the deeply curved thumb ramp of the Rockjumper that my thumb strongly objects to. Or maybe Spyderco will CQI a 4-way clip on the Caribbean - I'd like to try that knife, and that's the only thing keeping me from buying one.

For now, I'm very happy with the Stretch 2XL.
tactikool

Post by tactikool »

kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

tactikool wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:27 am
Stretch XL Cruwear G10?

https://www.knifecenter.com/item/SP258 ... 10-handles
Yup! Just revealed in Reveal 11.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

kennethsime wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:02 am
tactikool wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:27 am
Stretch XL Cruwear G10?

https://www.knifecenter.com/item/SP258 ... 10-handles
Yup! Just revealed in Reveal 11.
Great steel for this knife but the price is creeping up there.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Wow, that's a bombshell.
miohin

Post by miohin »

I've been very interested in the base Stretch XL, but I could not justify moving to the Cruwear/G10 for that price. It removes much of the appeal of the Stretch XL for me - decent price and insane size to weight ratio

It is a very nice looking knife though.
Lurker