C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sal

Re: C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Post by sal »

Hi JD,

This maker does not make Salts.

As I said earlier, it was an effort to get these to you. especially with screw construction and CPM Cruwear. Are they perfect? No, at least not one of the teeth on the serrated version is "funky".

Also, I have a number of other models that I would like for this maker to build for us as they sort out earlier family issues, so more Ayoob's are not likely, at least not in the near future. Maybe 5 -10 years in the future.

sal
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

So these are going out to dealers?
VipeX

Post by VipeX »

VashHash wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:03 am
So these are going out to dealers?
Look through the previous pages for availability. Buddafucco does an awesome job at tracking them!
abiggs

Post by abiggs »

sal wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:24 am
Hi JD,

As I said earlier, it was an effort to get these to you. especially with screw construction and CPM Cruwear. Are they perfect? No, at least not one of the teeth on the serrated version is "funky".

Also, I have a number of other models that I would like for this maker to build for us as they sort out earlier family issues, so more Ayoob's are not likely, at least not in the near future. Maybe 5 -10 years in the future.

sal
Sal, thank you for resurrecting this classic. Hopefully those that aren’t happy with the SE version can learn to appreciate the hard work it took to get this model done again at all. I was able to get one of each and I’m already really enjoying both versions. Most makers would not have really listened to their customers and fans and fulfilled their wish of doing another run of a model like this that is obviously not easy to make happen. I applaude you and your dedication to your customers and the knife community. You are one of a kind Sal!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

sal wrote:
Hi JD,

sal
It's all good and we sincerely thank you for all you did for us Mr. Glesser. I'll go back to the drawing board and see what else I can come up with. I do think this C-60 Ayoob Sprint Run is going to be a smashing success for Spyderco and the forumites and the end line users who are fortunate enough to land one of these gems. Early indicators are pointing that way it seems.

I'll see which other GOLDEN ERA models the guys might want to vote on. There were so many great models from that era that should never be forgotten. Again we are extremely grateful.
TheGiant80

Post by TheGiant80 »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:40 pm
YES SIR!!! I've had the luxury of owning and using the other variants of the C-60 Ayoob model long before I ever created this thread. That was truly one of the main reasons I started this campaign for a new version of the C-60. Because I truly find the knife extremely usable for a wide range of cutting>> in spite of the fact it was designated as a premium Self Defense folder. It's good for a wide range of uses. Especially hunting and fishing it's been great for me.

It might take me a month or so to back my guarantee and make good on the cash because I'm fighting medical bills at this time. But if you get one of these gems and don't like it for what ever reason. I'll buy it from you. Now this offer is only for this Brother I'm talking to on this post. I can't do that offer for the whole forum and make good on my word. Because I'm that confident that I won't be buying it from him and he will end up loving it. But rather you'll be bragging about how much you like it.
Oh wow! First off, I'm sorry to hear about your medical woes. I hope things improve quickly! Also, thanks for the buyback guarantee. You sound truly passionate about the Ayoob model, and that's the kind of feedback I was hoping for. I live in Canada and the retailer I buy from always gets gear at least 2 weeks after the roll-outs begin in the US, so it'll be a little while before I can pull the trigger. So.....SE or PE? I carry a Pac Salt 2 SE every day but for some reason I can't decide on the edge type for the model we're discussing here. The blade shape has really thrown me for a loop! :)
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

Yay I got my tracking number
VipeX

Post by VipeX »

TheGiant80 wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:58 am
JD Spydo wrote:
YES SIR!!! I've had the luxury of owning and using the other variants of the C-60 Ayoob model long before I ever created this thread. That was truly one of the main reasons I started this campaign for a new version of the C-60. Because I truly find the knife extremely usable for a wide range of cutting>> in spite of the fact it was designated as a premium Self Defense folder. It's good for a wide range of uses. Especially hunting and fishing it's been great for me.

It might take me a month or so to back my guarantee and make good on the cash because I'm fighting medical bills at this time. But if you get one of these gems and don't like it for what ever reason. I'll buy it from you. Now this offer is only for this Brother I'm talking to on this post. I can't do that offer for the whole forum and make good on my word. Because I'm that confident that I won't be buying it from him and he will end up loving it. But rather you'll be bragging about how much you like it.
Oh wow! First off, I'm sorry to hear about your medical woes. I hope things improve quickly! Also, thanks for the buyback guarantee. You sound truly passionate about the Ayoob model, and that's the kind of feedback I was hoping for. I live in Canada and the retailer I buy from always gets gear at least 2 weeks after the roll-outs begin in the US, so it'll be a little while before I can pull the trigger. So.....SE or PE? I carry a Pac Salt 2 SE every day but for some reason I can't decide on the edge type for the model we're discussing here. The blade shape has really thrown me for a loop! :)
TheGiant80, can you post here when you see them up on W&W. I'll do the same if I see them first!

Thanks!
TheGiant80

Post by TheGiant80 »

VipeX wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:20 am
TheGiant80, can you post here when you see them up on W&W. I'll do the same if I see them first!

Thanks!
You have a deal my friend!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

TheGiant80 wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:58 am
JD Spydo wrote:

Yeah I've had a knee and shoulder replacement recently and the copays are killing me. I would have bought two to three of these Ayoob Sprint Runs if the medical community had not hijacked my income for the past few months. Overall I'm not in bad health just joint problems and they are costly.

Depending on the type of cutting job you would be faced with the most and not knowing anything on my end I would say to get the Spyderedged version first. You just can't go wrong with the C-60 Ayoob in SE and that would be the safe way to go. Even the older VG-10 full SE model was a beast but this new one seems even better from what I can tell. You won't be disappointed with the full SE version I can assure you.

The only drawback to that is I do look for the plain edged version to be gone first however. But usually if you want a sold out model bad enough they usually show up later on most of the time on auctions or secondary markets ( Like Bladeforums.com). Yeah get an SE version and I'm 95% sure you'll love it.
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

National Knives seems to have both variants in stock.

SE - https://www.nationalknives.com/spyderco ... gray-g-10/
PE - https://www.nationalknives.com/spyderco ... gray-g-10/

UPDATE - Both are out of stock
Last edited by p_atrick on Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

p_atrick wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 11:30 am

Huh, I refreshed their page for days :winking-tongue
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Remember to sign up to National Knives to get their best deal. One of my favorite dealers and every bit as fast as DLT in my experience.
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

Bemo wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:35 pm
Remember to sign up to National Knives to get their best deal. One of my favorite dealers and every bit as fast as DLT in my experience.
I love when they use a microfiber towel as the packing material for shipping!
•• Beau
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

p_atrick wrote:

UPDATE - The SE is out of stock
This is getting interesting. Especially when our good Brother "MUSHROOM" predicted just the opposite ( and I thought he was right at first). But on the other hand it doesn't surprise me all that much because even at the beginning stages of this thread there was a constant flow of requests for the SE version. And all throughout the thread there was a consistent amount of requests for the serrated version.

Now it seems that the SE is outselling the PE in some cases. It is getting interesting needless to say.
resonanzmacher

Post by resonanzmacher »

sal wrote:
Also, I have a number of other models that I would like for this maker to build for us as they sort out earlier family issues
sal
Hints?
troutinCO

Post by troutinCO »

I held on of these while at the SFO today. They are really nice! I wasn't sure at all but now I am considering one. I really need to stop going to the store and holding things.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

giant, i would still recommend the se version. this model has always seemed like it's meant to be serrated in my mind. if you can hold it first, even better, but most of the issues i've seen (including mine) can be fixed and none of them stops the knife from being functional. i'm still irritated by the issue, it's implications, and the response from some around here to honest discussion, but none of that is the knife's fault. also, this is one of the smoother backlocks i've used. it's never going to be as smooth as a taichung compression lock, but that would be an unreasonable expectation. i hope you're able to get one.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:59 pm
p_atrick wrote:

UPDATE - The SE is out of stock
This is getting interesting. Especially when our good Brother "MUSHROOM" predicted just the opposite ( and I thought he was right at first). But on the other hand it doesn't surprise me all that much because even at the beginning stages of this thread there was a constant flow of requests for the SE version. And all throughout the thread there was a consistent amount of requests for the serrated version.

Now it seems that the SE is outselling the PE in some cases. It is getting interesting needless to say.
Well to be fair, that’s just one example so far and its still kind of early. Many dealers could still be getting their premiere shipments. We don’t know how many Ayoobs they had available in general, let alone how many of each edge type in particular. They could have had 7 plain edge and 3 serrated edge for all we know.

The information may have been given somewhere but I don’t think we are aware of how many of each edge type Spyderco had produced. I would question if it was an equal amount per edge type or were the production numbers offset? For example, say it was a 1200 piece total - was it 600 SE and 600 PE or something like 400 SE and 800 PE?

None the less I could still end up being wrong, it certainly wouldn’t be the first time! The serrated edge variant might just sell at a faster pace than the plain edge variant even if I don’t expect it to. It would be an anomaly from what I’ve seen in the past but it’s certainly not impossible.
-Nick :bug-red
Jurmuscle

Post by Jurmuscle »

There up now on Spyderco page. Plain and serrated. Only 4 plain and 2 serrated left.
:usflag :bug-red :bug-white-red :usflag
If we spent as much time trying as we do doubting, we might have already accomplished it.

-Tom