C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
chkn

Re: C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Post by chkn »

Buddafucco wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:42 pm
Oh no! So there's like possibly 6 people that got stiffed... Sorry everybody! I'll try and keep that in mind for future releases. :disappointed
lol it's not like you could have known, and I bet more people are glad someone like you is spreading availability info for the rest of us, I know I sure am.
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

Last edited by Buddafucco on Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:29 am, edited 6 times in total.
•• Beau
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

OK I get it now. But it sure ain't what I learned in "Marketing" 101. But on the other hand these high caliber pocket knives that only a select few of us in society tend to gravitate toward doesn't meet your basic marketing strategy as we know for most other merchandise.

Yeah knives that are on the same level as Rolex watches and Oakley sunglasses sure make up a very select few in a tiny market sector that participate.

So many people are content to go to the local hardware store and get a CASE or BUCK like they've always done throughout their life.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

sal wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:17 am
I don't know how many came like that, so I really comment at this time. It shouldn't a problem in use. If someone is really concerned, they can always return it. This is a Sprint run made by a small maker in Japan. It was an effort to get the model to you.

sal
As you can see, Sal said they are made by a small maker in Japan. This means they don’t have the capacity to crank out large volumes. These will be trickling in instead of flooding in.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

chkn wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:56 pm
Buddafucco wrote:
Oh no! So there's like possibly 6 people that got stiffed... Sorry everybody! I'll try and keep that in mind for future releases. :disappointed
lol it's not like you could have known, and I bet more people are glad someone like you is spreading availability info for the rest of us, I know I sure am.
I know now though. I should be able to remember that tidbit of info. Mr KnifeGuy... Good place... Not so good website inventory. I am glad to hear that he contacted everybody. I usually only run in to problems when I'm a little too quick and catch a dealer in the middle of updating a listing.
•• Beau
resonanzmacher

Post by resonanzmacher »

Buddafucco wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:18 pm
chkn wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:56 pm
Buddafucco wrote:
I know now though. I should be able to remember that tidbit of info. Mr KnifeGuy... Good place... Not so good website inventory. I am glad to hear that he contacted everybody. I usually only run in to problems when I'm a little too quick and catch a dealer in the middle of updating a listing.

It's good that you're conscientious, but no penance is necessary :)
HolyGrail024.jpg
If you hadn't mentioned them, I'd never have known they existed.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

JRinFL wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:16 pm
sal wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:17 am
I don't know how many came like that, so I really comment at this time. It shouldn't a problem in use. If someone is really concerned, they can always return it. This is a Sprint run made by a small maker in Japan. It was an effort to get the model to you.

sal
As you can see, Sal said they are made by a small maker in Japan. This means they don’t have the capacity to crank out large volumes. These will be trickling in instead of flooding in.
Well JR that all needs to change. I hope this Sprint Run is so successful that Spyderco decides to bring back the C-60 into regular production again. And with the rapid rate these C-60 models are disappearing at I would think that Spyderco must realize that they have a winner on their hands.

So what if it's an old model from the Golden Era? It wouldn't be the first time that they brought back an older, disco'd model. Sales are Sales and that equals MONEY!! and if this bad boy C-60 Ayoob outsells everything else then why wouldn't they want to put them back into full production?

Just thinking out loud folks. But it is a reasonable consideration when you think about it. Especially when they are selling like tickets to a Led Zeppelin concert
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:08 pm
I hope this Sprint Run is so successful that Spyderco decides to bring back the C-60 into regular production again.
i would definitely buy a salt version for my waistband.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

it's officially mine. no, i didn't cut myself, but i moved the clip to weak side tip down. i plan on carrying this in my back left pocket with the tip down so i can get my thumb in the hole immediately as i draw it. this knife is going be difficult to take pictures of because of the almost mirror finish on it showing my phone in reflections. but look! if i shoot it in my typical styling, you can't see the messed up serration.
:rofl
ayoob sprint
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
TheGiant80

Post by TheGiant80 »

I keep telling myself I don't need this knife, and yet I find myself looking at this thread every day.

Is anyone planning on using the Ayoob as an EDC? I like the G10, the backlock, and the CruWear but there's something about that wonky blade shape I can't quite make peace with.

Enablers, what do you have for me?
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Buddafucco wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:00 pm
PlainEdge:
Northwest Knives... https://northwestknives.com/collections ... de-c60gpgy
Struck gold with this link. Thanks, Beau.

And thanks, JD.

EDIT TO ADD: Now in hand. Idaho to New Hampshire, 12-15 August. Thanks Northwest Knives. Not too shabby, USPS.
Last edited by wrdwrght on Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

TheGiant80 wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:56 pm
I keep telling myself I don't need this knife, and yet I find myself looking at this thread every day.

Is anyone planning on using the Ayoob as an EDC? I like the G10, the backlock, and the CruWear but there's something about that wonky blade shape I can't quite make peace with.

I like it because its weird. I like a lot of the weirder models (dodo, etc). But for my uses weird isnt usually better, just different.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

ladybug93 wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:53 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
I hope this Sprint Run is so successful that Spyderco decides to bring back the C-60 into regular production again.
That might just be our next model we petition Spyderco for. The requests for a SALT version of the C-60 Ayoob has been echoed for years now. And maybe it's time!

I think it's fair to say that this Sprint Run C-60 Ayoob has truly been met with some solid enthusiasm. My two friends that live here locally that want one really bad aren't even "Knife People" really at all. But they feel in love with my 2011 Sprint Run of the C-60 Ayoob. Since then they do nothing but bug me about when they can buy one.

A SALT version would truly be colossal. Because that blade design is so useful for such a wide range of chores. So why not a SALT version?
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:17 pm
ladybug93 wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:53 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
That might just be our next model we petition Spyderco for. The requests for a SALT version of the C-60 Ayoob has been echoed for years now. And maybe it's time!

I think it's fair to say that this Sprint Run C-60 Ayoob has truly been met with some solid enthusiasm. My two friends that live here locally that want one really bad aren't even "Knife People" really at all. But they feel in love with my 2011 Sprint Run of the C-60 Ayoob. Since then they do nothing but bug me about when they can buy one.

A SALT version would truly be colossal. Because that blade design is so useful for such a wide range of chores. So why not a SALT version?
that's honestly the only thing i wish were different (aside from the wonky serration). it's so thin that it would be excellent in the waistband, but i'm not going to carry cruwear against my sweat if i can help it. this is my first cruwear knife, so i have to learn the steel anyway... maybe it'll be fine after treating it with froglube paste like i typically do with these kinds of steels.

anyway, i've been asking for years for all sd specific models to be offered as salts. for sd, i want a knife that always ready, requires little maintenance, stays sharp while not in use (no edge degradation from environmental factors), and can be worn in the same location regardless of your clothing (for me, that's iwb because pockets vary in different clothing, but the waistband is constant). i've never really seen a response to this request though. still hoping for a blacked out matriarch 2 salt with a wave, but an ayoob salt would be an acceptable replacement for that for sure.
current collection:
spyderco steels:
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i meant to mention lock rock in my other post about keeping the knife, because i saw it come up as an issue...

i've not used the knife hard yet, but i opened it up and put a little pressure on the spine with no movement. i pressed the blade down into a stack of paperwork to simulate the force required for a hard push cut and felt the slightest squish of the blade adjusting against the lock. it's not something i would've ever mentioned if the question hadn't been asked. no movement side to side at all. i'd say the lockup and stability of this knife is wonderful and probably the best of any spyderco backlock i've experienced.
current collection:
spyderco steels:
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

TheGiant80 wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:56 pm

YES SIR!!! I've had the luxury of owning and using the other variants of the C-60 Ayoob model long before I ever created this thread. That was truly one of the main reasons I started this campaign for a new version of the C-60. Because I truly find the knife extremely usable for a wide range of cutting>> in spite of the fact it was designated as a premium Self Defense folder. It's good for a wide range of uses. Especially hunting and fishing it's been great for me.

It might take me a month or so to back my guarantee and make good on the cash because I'm fighting medical bills at this time. But if you get one of these gems and don't like it for what ever reason. I'll buy it from you. Now this offer is only for this Brother I'm talking to on this post. I can't do that offer for the whole forum and make good on my word. Because I'm that confident that I won't be buying it from him and he will end up loving it. But rather you'll be bragging about how much you like it.
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

I picked PE from NW Knives. Hopefully their site didn't allow more purchases than they had.

Super excited this didn't get ruined with a comp lock. Although maybe I'm extending to much credit and it was just to expensive to completely retool.
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

ladybug93 wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:35 pm
i meant to mention lock rock in my other post about keeping the knife, because i saw it come up as an issue...

i've not used the knife hard yet, but i opened it up and put a little pressure on the spine with no movement. i pressed the blade down into a stack of paperwork to simulate the force required for a hard push cut and felt the slightest squish of the blade adjusting against the lock. it's not something i would've ever mentioned if the question hadn't been asked. no movement side to side at all. i'd say the lockup and stability of this knife is wonderful and probably the best of any spyderco backlock i've experienced.

Glad you're finally talking nice about it! You may not embrace wabi sabi, but i hope you enjoy it in the long haul.
R100

Post by R100 »

ladybug93 wrote:

Thanks LB, I actually ordered an SE Ayoob today and asked the seller to check it for lock rock before shipping. I am forewarned about the wonky first serration so that won't bother me. I'll attack that with a diamond or CBN stone immediately I get it because I couldn't live with it if it is like yours. I went back and forth between SE and PE but ended up going with SE because I love the shallow serrations and SE just seems right for this model. If I bought the PE I would have to do a major reprofile/regrind to get it cutting as I would like it to anyway so a bit of careful work on the tip of the SE blade is minor in comparison.

I will be away now for a couple of weeks on a field trip for work so I won't see it until after I get back. I hope I can survive the anticipation!

A big thanks to JD for pushing this project so relentlessly. There is no way I could find or afford one on the secondary market in Australia and G10 and Cruwear make it perfect in my eyes.

Dan
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

R100 wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:20 pm
ladybug93 wrote:

Thanks LB, I actually ordered an SE Ayoob today and asked the seller to check it for lock rock before shipping. I am forewarned about the wonky first serration so that won't bother me. I'll attack that with a diamond or CBN stone immediately I get it because I couldn't live with it if it is like yours. I went back and forth between SE and PE but ended up going with SE because I love the shallow serrations and SE just seems right for this model. If I bought the PE I would have to do a major reprofile/regrind to get it cutting as I would like it to anyway so a bit of careful work on the tip of the SE blade is minor in comparison.

I will be away now for a couple of weeks on a field trip for work so I won't see it until after I get back. I hope I can survive the anticipation!

A big thanks to JD for pushing this project so relentlessly. There is no way I could find or afford one on the secondary market in Australia and G10 and Cruwear make it perfect in my eyes.

Dan
What has really stood out to me the most is the fanfare the serrated version of the C-60 has attained. I've never before seen so much interest in a serrated version of any model previously like I seen in this model of this SprintRun. This is one of the few Spyderco models where the serrated version is almost as popular as the plain edged version. And thanks to "R100" for buying the serrated version by the way.

My ultimate goal is to see two things accomplished from this campaign. First I would like to eventually see a SALT SERIES version of the C-60 at some point. Then I would also like to see the C-60 Ayoob become so popular that it will be back in the main line up again at some point in time.

Because truly this knife was so far ahead of it's time when it was first introduced in the early 2000s ( 2001-2002). But now that many more people have seen what a genius design this Spyderco folder is. It's now in a completely different paradigm as when it was first launched IMO.