C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
tactikool

Re: C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Post by tactikool »

Got my plain edge in yesterday from KnifeJoy and I love the slim carry profile and the ergos. What I'm not thrilled with is that mine arrived with the pivot screw head stripped out. Off to warranty service it goes. No regrets though, glad I pulled the trigger and will likely pick up a backup safe queen.
mb1

Post by mb1 »

Thanks for lookout Beau! SE on the way. Never heard of this dealer. They did have a free shipping option, so I swiped the magic, plastic wand.
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

mb1 wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:28 am
Thanks for lookout Beau! SE on the way. Never heard of this dealer. They did have a free shipping option, so I swiped the magic, plastic wand.
Fradon Safe & Lock Store is an excellent dealer! Located in New York. They've had several Exclusives (one dropping in just a bit). Very active on Social media. Part of the MilliePM2Para3 club. I've had one order with them and it came very fast. Heard nothing but good things from others.
Last edited by Buddafucco on Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
•• Beau
mb1

Post by mb1 »

Buddafucco wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:48 am
mb1 wrote:

Fradon Safe & Lock Store is an excellent dealer! Located in New York. They've had several Exclusives (one dropping in just a bit). Very active on Social media. Part of the MilliePM2Para3 club. I've had one order with them and it came very fast. Heard nothing but good things from others.
Yeah I saw that exclusive on their home page. Very cool. The Spider world continues to grow. Thx man
- Mark

Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

SpyderEdge... Mr KnifeGuy... https://mrknifeguy.com/product/c60gsgy/
Last edited by Buddafucco on Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
•• Beau
Skar

Post by Skar »

The inconsistent grind bothers my eyes a bit.
I'm still going to grab a spyderedge and hope it won't bother me after I'm carrying it.

I only have 3 se in salt knives and I have pe to last 20 lifetimes.
Happy to see this unique knife hope we all can enjoy it in use.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

mb1 wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:53 am
Buddafucco wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:48 am
mb1 wrote:

Yeah I saw that exclusive on their home page. Very cool. The Spider world continues to grow. Thx man
A good friend of mine here locally tried ordering from these folks. But they were all out by the time he tried to order.

I know a lot of these dealers have only been getting between 10 to 20 units but they are still selling like tickets to a Chief's playoff game.
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

Last edited by Buddafucco on Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
•• Beau
mb1

Post by mb1 »

Buddafucco wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:55 am
St Nick's Knives:
PlainEdge... https://www.stnicksknives.com/collectio ... ar-c60gpgy

SpyderEdge... https://www.stnicksknives.com/collectio ... ar-c60gsgy
To JD’s point, these were 5 and 4 a few minutes ago…2 and 3 in stock now. Going, going…
- Mark

Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

Last edited by Buddafucco on Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
•• Beau
mb1

Post by mb1 »

JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:57 pm
Well back in 1969 I saw Apollo 11 on TV (imagine that??)>> Then I saw Neil Armstrong & crew supposedly land on the Moon. I've never forget the first thing he said even though I was just 14 years old"The Eagle Has Landed"!!! Well the Eagle Has landed here Blue Springs Missouri USA today too. That famous Neil Armstrong phrase is truly what I felt like saying when I opened a much anticipated UPS package from a very good friend.

YEAH BUDDY!!! The PE & SE Units both are now here on my desk and I'm totally mind blown. I feel a sense of accomplishment and a sense of deep satisfaction. The Word "HALLELUJAH!! immediately came forth

This equals a really nice Christmas morning when you hit the jackpot!!

Yes Indeed Ol' JD is eurphoric today!! It's been a rough road these past 4 to 5 years but I'm back in the saddle again!!!

and just think it all started with a roll of the dice launching this great thread back in July of 2020. Talk about paying a dividend!!!
Congrats JD! I’m stoked for you. Yet another in a long line of very cool Spyder-stories. Enjoy!
- Mark

Skar

Post by Skar »

resonanzmacher

Post by resonanzmacher »

I ended up chatting on the phone with the Mr. Knife Guy guy (Brett). He hadn't ordered Ayoobs specifically but as a premier dealer he received, wait for it, 3 serrated and 3 plain edge Ayoobs. I guess he had over 12 orders overnight and has been on the phone all day sorting out orders.

Anyway, the guy seems ok.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

resonanzmacher wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:09 pm
I ended up chatting on the phone with the Mr. Knife Guy guy (Brett). He hadn't ordered Ayoobs specifically but as a premier dealer he received, wait for it, 3 serrated and 3 plain edge Ayoobs. I guess he had over 12 orders overnight and has been on the phone all day sorting out orders.

Which leads me to a direct question????? Why are most all of these dealers only getting such a small amount of the C-60 Sprint Run???? Why isn't there like one or two bigger dealers like "GP" or "KnifeCenter" for instance getting like 50 or 100 units in stock so people that are ready to buy can buy them?

This apparent trickle of such a small amount of these C-60 Ayoob models is baffling to say the least????????
resonanzmacher

Post by resonanzmacher »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:15 pm
resonanzmacher wrote:

Which leads me to a direct question????? Why are most all of these dealers only getting such a small amount of the C-60 Sprint Run???? Why isn't there like one or two bigger dealers like "GP" or "KnifeCenter" for instance getting like 50 or 100 units in stock so people that are ready to buy can buy them?

This apparent trickle of such a small amount of these C-60 Ayoob models is baffling to say the least????????
I see what you're saying but consider this: as a result of this process, buyers are connecting to smaller dealers... who could use the love.
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

JD Spydo wrote:

If I were a small, independent dealer and Spyderco gave the bulk of the shipments to the big-name players, is that fair? Why focus on them and not me? What have I done to be shunned? This, of course, is a contrived example. There's no easy answer to selling a limited amount of knives through a network of dealers. Does Spyderco keep every single knife until they have the full amount of produced knives and then distribute to the dealers? That would only delay getting this knife to market. We have been waiting a long time as it is. Do we just give the bulk of the knives to those companies with the biggest presence? That unfairly hurts the smaller retailers. Do we equally divide the stock amongst all the dealers? That would mean the retailers sell out quickly, leaving customers feeling frustrated. As I said, no easy answer.

I should say that I've already ordered one, and it should arrive Monday. It is easy to me to sit back and take this point of view. But I still think there is no easy solution. It is unfortunate.

UPDATE!! - I hit refresh on my browser tab, and the Ayoob should arrive TOMORROW! Thanks JD for making this happen. I haven't been this excited for a knife in a long time.
Last edited by p_atrick on Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

JD Spydo wrote:

This is normal. If anything, I'd say we're seeing more drops than usual. It's still early in the release. We'll still see these pooping up at dealers in a month or so. Probably longer. Only Spyderco knows how the knives get divvied up among the dealers. The larger shipments are coming. Including SFO's. The first sighting of the PITS was on July 8th and it's still appearing, for the first time, at some dealers. :respect
•• Beau
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

resonanzmacher wrote:

Oh no! So there's like possibly 6 people that got stiffed... Sorry everybody! I'll try and keep that in mind for future releases. :disappointed
•• Beau
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Buddafucco wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:40 pm
JD Spydo wrote:

This is normal. If anything, I'd say we're seeing more drops than usual. It's still early in the release. We'll still see these pooping up at dealers in a month or so. Probably longer. Only Spyderco knows how the knives get divvied up among the dealers. The larger shipments are coming. Including SFO's. The first sighting of the PITS was on July 8th and it's still appearing, for the first time, at some dealers. :respect
Yeah I just talked to New Graham which is one of my old favorite main line dealers and they said they were only getting 5 of each edge type.

I guess maybe it gives Spyderco a barometer to gauge just how much of an overall demand there will end up being after the smoke clears so to speak. I can sort of see what the advantage would be.

But for diehards who have put money back just for this model alone it can be quite confusing. Two of my buddies that live here locally in my area have come up dry in their search but I did forward some of this info to them.
chkn

Post by chkn »

resonanzmacher wrote:
I talked to him a few hours ago, put in my order yesterday but got the unfortunate news. Wasn't too upset since this is how things go with limited knife drops these days. Tried my luck with GoingGear, hopefully I scored there.
JD Spydo wrote: This apparent trickle of such a small amount of these C-60 Ayoob models is baffling to say the least
I'm sure the smaller storefronts appreciate it, it's a way to get themselves noticed rather than funneling sales to the big guys who already have no trouble selling out of limited release stuff. The question does become how many of these knives are actually getting to other people and not just being scooped up by the same handful of flippers, but that's always going to be an issue so not much point in assaulting that deceased equine.