C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
confucius

Re: C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Post by confucius »

Ladybug and I see it similarly. I love this knife and I’m grateful to Sal and the Spyderco team for making it happen. We waited so long I would have happily waited even longer to “get it right.” I’ll post a picture of my snaggletooth shortly, but it’s a factory second type knife with an obvious flaw IMHO. No different than if the blade tip on a new Military was broken off.

It pains me to say this, but I’m going to try to score and love a PE Version. My SE PM2 is/was my favorite EDC and I had hoped the SE Ayoob would replace it. But it’s not gonna happen. I’m returning mine, although happy to pass it on unused to anyone who might not care as much as I do. Hit me with a DM if you want it.

Many thanks to JD and the others who made this happen!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

100 Pages!!!! yes 100 Pages!! Who would have thunk it two years back? This is a monumental milestone in Spyder History!!!
I truly want to thank all of you who helped make it happen. I want to thank Sal, Eric, along with the entire Spyderco crew for making it possible!!

And please don't let this one run of the C-60 be the end of it either
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:18 pm
100 Pages!!!! yes 100 Pages!! Who would have thunk it two years back? This is a monumental milestone in Spyder History!!!
I truly want to thank all of you who helped make it happen. I want to thank Sal, Eric, along with the entire Spyderco crew for making it possible!!

Im not saying this to be mean... but half of the pages are all you. Thats still crazy dedication though. Congrats.

And I got a cool new model to have in my collection. Thanks.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Congrats JD for scoring both versions of the Ayoob sprint you inspired! And you made it before the 100th page of this thread! I’m excited to get my hands on one soon. Cheers, Radioactive
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
James Y

Post by James Y »

JD Spydo wrote:

Congratulations to YOU, Joe! Without your dogged determination, it never would've happened. You started it, stuck to your guns, galvanized many others, and made your wish into a reality.

Jim
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

VooDooChild wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:58 pm
Buddafucco wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:28 pm
PlainEdge... Mr KnifeGuy... https://mrknifeguy.com/product/c60gpgy/

They are on the Dealer Locator List. Definitely a legit place. But I have never seen feedback on them.
Locator list is good. Physical store in U S with number you can call, also good. I ordered one.

What a coincidence... I just got some new chips and of all people!

I have done some amount of stalking on every dealer that I post an alert for. Even the ones that I'm not sure if they're an authorized dealer, I make sure they're good to go. Some don't have the best feedback but usually somebody else is on the flip side saying how good they are. Mr KnifeGuy is one of the dealers that I have zero forum feedback on, but looks to be a good place to do business with. Let me know how it goes.

Last edited by Buddafucco on Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
•• Beau
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

James Y wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:23 pm
JD Spydo wrote:

Congratulations to YOU, Joe! Without your dogged determination, it never would've happened. You started it, stuck to your guns, galvanized many others, and made your wish into a reality.

Jim
Thank you JIM and all the rest of you all who also participated in this Campaign of one of Spyderco's icons from the "Golden Era of Spyders ( 1998-2004)

Make no mistake it was a team project, So much input from so many Forumites. No one person can be credited for this one. Now we need to think of which one of the next Golden Era models we might want to campaign for next

As my old Buddy DON KING used to say>> ONLY IN AMERICA Baby!!!!
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Surfingringo wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:50 pm
...lemons out of lemonade...
i like that. :winking-tongue
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

ladybug93 wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:55 pm
Surfingringo wrote:
...lemons out of lemonade...
i like that. :winking-tongue
Bwahahaha. Nice catch. Thankfully I’m not trying to make lemons out of lemonade. That’s hard work!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Surfingringo wrote:
ladybug93 wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 3:37 pm
why can't it be a collector piece that you plan to use? i use all my knives in my collection. i don't expect them to stay perfect, but i certainly expect them to come to me in the condition they are supposed to be in. why can't we just call a problem a problem?

i'm gonna have to just stop talking about this. i'm not sure why i have to justify a problem as a problem while everyone makes excuses for spyderco. i like spyderco too. i like this knife and will keep it. i'm not blind though.

i hope everyone else that wants one gets a chance at it and i hope they're all perfect.
Hey Ladybug, I’m not trying to dismiss your concerns. I see the difference between the grind on this tip and the original serrated Ayoob…or most any other serrated Spydie for that matter. I can’t speak for the intentions of the maker in Moki so I can’t say definitively if it is a “mistake” or not. All I’m saying is that in looking at it from a functionality standpoint, I like it. Given the choice between this tip and that of the original Ayoob, I would choose this one. I’m not trying to make lemons out of lemonade, I just like this one because I think it will work well for me.
Well Surfingringo I remember telling you about this model quite a while back and I do hope you at least get one of the Spyderedged versions. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with it. And you might just want to get the PE model as well. With all the fish you work with I think you'll find this one to be a gem for processing.

I would be really curious to see how well that blade works with some of the really big salt water fish you often encounter. I never really ever thought of that knife being for fishing>> but why the heck not??? And if enough people like it maybe it will someday be a good candidate for the Salt Series. Several have suggested a SALT version of the C-60 Ayoob over the years>> and they must have a solid reason I would think. I know you're going to be well pleased with a C-60 Ayoob model regardless of what you elect to use it for.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Congrats JD on finally getting what you’ve been after all these years. I’m happy for you.

Even Sal said you were a driving force to getting this Sprint made.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i promised earlier that i'd post more photos...

you can see here how the angle seems pretty high
and the transition between the se and pe looks like it would've been fine if the angle was the same between the two.

i'm not the greatest at sharpening, so reprofiling the tip will be a daunting task. i'm sure i can do it. i just don't like that i have to fix a brand new knife. despite the botched transition, i'm sure this knife will tear through anything i need it to and would absolutely work in a self-defense situation (not that i expect to find myself in that scenario, but that's the intent behind the design, so it's relevant).

and 100 pages! woot! congrats jd on making this happen. can you do the same for a dodo now? ;)
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

I got my serrated one in. I like the knife but yeah, the front serrations are terrible on mine.

On the positive side I probably wont hesitate to actually use mine. I would guess the serrated models of this run are not going to be desireable for people outside of a user knife. I dont think collectors and knife perfectionist and safe queens will want it.

Theres no way that front serration to plain edge area doesnt act as a snag point. With that said, the front "tooth" on the atlantic salt/ rescue 3 is also a "snag point" and I have never had a problem making those knives work.

Heres a pic of my serrated one.
Attachments
20220811_202550.jpg
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

For those with the wonky serrated grind, if you lower the angle on the plain edge portion I bet it will look much better.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

ABX2011 wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:08 pm
For those with the wonky serrated grind, if you lower the angle on the plain edge portion I bet it will look much better.
This.^ It looks like this is more of an issue with the PE section not being ground low enough to “meet” the serrations. (As ladybug and others have already noted)
R100

Post by R100 »

If it is strictly a user then five minutes on a diamond stone with the PE section at the tip should cure it. It shouldn't be like that but at least it is easily fixable. I am much more worried about lock rock issues, especially given that it is the same maker as the Caly 3.5. I haven't seen anyone comment on this yet.

Dan
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

Last edited by Buddafucco on Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
•• Beau
Hopsbreath

Post by Hopsbreath »

Got one, thanks!
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

ladybug93 wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:38 pm
DSH007 wrote: Is it actually a mistake though, or is it your opinion that it's a mistake? (serious question/observation for discussion, not trying to be a jerk in any way..) The wonky serration appears to be in all of the retailer's stock images that I've seen online over the past couple of weeks. I'd assumed that's just "how they were" until yesterday in this thread.. I guess as we see more in the wild, we'll find out what the consistency is across the run..
Buddafucco wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:10 pm
this is how it should be. i don't think that's my opinion... it's based on no less than a handful of other serrated spydercos i own and use regularly and a lot of product photos of serrated spydercos.

this is how mine looks again. it's clear they are not the same. the picture from buddafucco has a smooth transition with a pe grind that seems to match the grind of the se portion. mine has this weird step with a hard transition and a pretty bad angle on the pe portion, creating an extra snag point that is more harsh than even the serrations are. also, there may be wonky serrations in other photos, but they are not consistent. more evidence that it's not intentional.

will it function? of course. is it a mistake? absolutely.
Ahh, ok yes, seeing them side by side like that, the difference is obvious. I admittedly hadn't been following this thread especially closely before replying to your post.. Looking back through a few pages, I do see some other people have posted pics and there does seem to be a good deal of inconsistency across a number of samples. Based on the stock photos i've seen, I was expecting them all to look more like yours than Budda's.

I'll be happy to have an Ayoob regardless of how my sample looks at the transition, but I can definitely understand expecting it to look one way and being put-off when it doesn't..
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

Last edited by Buddafucco on Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
•• Beau