Issue with my brand new Military?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
capt.carl

Issue with my brand new Military?

Post by capt.carl »

I just got this in today from the SFO and I think there are some issues with it. I just wanted to get some input on whether or not that is the case. First of all, I noticed that the action was rougher than I expected and you can hear what sounds like the g-10 rubbing on the blade when it is opened. Lube did improve it a little, but it's still there. Secondly, I noticed that when it is about to lock up once the tang comes off of the detent ball, there is a significant amount more force needed to get it that extra few millimeters of rotation for the lock bar to engage.

When the lock is disengaged, it does not drop shut smoothly like some CQI millies I have seen, it's actually stuck in that upward position. You can feel that area where it is tighter where I described above and when the blade is at full extension when the lock bar is held fully open and the blade manipulated. This tells me it's not a lock bar issue but a pivot issue.

I'm wondering if the stop pin isn't installed correctly? Not sure. There appears to be space between the washer and the pivot and the blade looks a little off center at the pivot area although it is hard to tell. I'd rather not disassemble it and would rather have spyderco take a look at it since it's brand new if something is indeed wrong.

image of the washer gap: https://imgur.com/a/Ypgktbw

Thanks in advance for any input.
Last edited by capt.carl on Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Issue with my brand new Military?

Post by Doc Dan »

If you have such issues, which would be hard for us to diagnose, contact customer service first, and then send it it.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
capt.carl

Post by capt.carl »

Thanks, might have to do that unfortunately. Mostly I’m wondering if that washer gap is normal, i.e. shouldn’t the washer be touching both the blade and the liner? Im also wondering if the qci millie should drop when the liner is disengaged.

The action is getting better the more i work it, it’s not bad now. Still just concerned about the washer gap.
dan31

Post by dan31 »

I have the same washer issue with my 52100 sprint run Military. I do not carry or use it. It’s kind of a bummer.

I think this is due to the tight fit of the stop pin into the liners. Someone made a video and posted here about disassembling they knife and using a file to bore out the stop pin hole in the liner to allow the knife to assemble properly. Good luck. Let us know if Spyderco accepts this as a quality issue.
Last edited by dan31 on Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

The one in my pocket has none of those issues, and neither has any pre cqi or cqi military I’ve ever owned
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
capt.carl

Post by capt.carl »

dan31 wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:41 am
I have the same washer issue with my 52100 sprint run Military. I do not carry or use it. It’s kind of a bummer.

I think this is due to the tight fit of the stop pin into the liners. Someone made a video and posted here about disassembling they knife and using a file to bore out the stop pin hole in the liner to allow the knife to assemble properly. Good luck. Let us know if Spyderco accepts this as a quality issue.
Dang that’s a bummer. I will have to call today and see if i can get an RMA. No way I’m taking a file to a new knife.
attila

Post by attila »

Can we get a lit up view instead of a silhouette of of the knife from both sides with the blade open? That’ll help see what’s going on.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
attila

Post by attila »

For those who don’t Imgur:

Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

capt.carl

Post by capt.carl »

attila wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:26 am
Can we get a lit up view instead of a silhouette of of the knife from both sides with the blade open? That’ll help see what’s going on.
You mean with from the scale sides or the lock side like the picture I uploaded?

Thanks for posting my imgur pic I couldn’t get it to work with the [img] thing
capt.carl

Post by capt.carl »

Actions really a lot better now but that gap kinda irks me and it’s still a little tight when the blades almost locked open.
attila

Post by attila »

It’s definitely not right.

The scales don’t look parallel… interesting.

Does the stop pin protrude or not the same amount on both sides of the scales?

capt.carl

Post by capt.carl »

attila wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:58 am
It’s definitely not right.

The scales don’t look parallel… interesting.

Does the stop pin protrude or not the same amount on both sides of the scales?
I thought so too. It does feel even which is odd
capt.carl

Post by capt.carl »

dan31

Post by dan31 »

Capt did you get anywhere on the washer gap?
capt.carl

Post by capt.carl »

dan31 wrote:
Sun Sep 11, 2022 5:57 pm

Hey dan, I sent it to spyderco and they replaced the knife. Good CS on them.
varossdg

Post by varossdg »

capt.carl wrote:
Sun Sep 11, 2022 7:22 pm
dan31 wrote:
Sun Sep 11, 2022 5:57 pm

Hey dan, I sent it to spyderco and they replaced the knife. Good CS on them.
Human beings make mistakes, even those humans in qc. I have heard many success stories regarding Spyderco going above and beyond on warranty. Awesome!