Manix XL Talk

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

Manix XL Talk

Post by vivi »

This will be a thread for all things Manix XL. Sprint discussion, pleas for a lightweight version or whatever else you want to discuss, you can do it here.

Of interest might be these two threads:

M4 DLC Manix XL corrosion testing - viewtopic.php?f=2&t=87786&start=60

Manix XL compared to the Shaman - viewtopic.php?t=89067

Manix XL compared to the original C95 Manix - viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85577

In another thread about the Manix XL me and TheGiant were discussing the grip. Here are some images that show the effective behind the choil grip of the Manix XL:

Roomy enough for my XL-XXL hands, but someone with wide fingers my feel cramped.
Last edited by vivi on Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:unicorn
Manixguy@1994

Re: Manix XL Talk

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Great idea and nice comparison shots . A lightweight version sounds very interesting to me . Maybe a poll sometime to see if there is interest on the subject . Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
vivi

Post by vivi »

In another thread we were discussing green scaled Manix XL's. I think a green & black sprint in a tough tool steel like 4V would be awesome to see.

Very happy with my M4 DLC XL, which now sports micarta as shown in post 1.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

After getting the XL in Stainless a tool steel in black blade is something I would like to see again . Which steel ? I definitely would be flexible on that subject . Dan
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Any thoughts a LIL Manix XL? :rofl

Ok now before you think I’m trolling, I have a Manix XL that has seen some abuse and needs to be repaired. The dumb *** I gave it to tried batoning though sheet metal and he got what he deserved, a broken blade.

A large part of the tip is missing and much of the remaining tip is badly damaged. I’d be left with a roughly 3 inch blade, making it even smaller than a regular Manix 2; Resulting in a “Lil” Manix XL. :spiral-eyes

Quick pic, I’d clean up the actual shape before regrinding it. This was just to get an idea.
-Nick :bug-red
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Hard to tell from that picture, but I don't think you'd have to take it back quite that far.

As far as the Manix XL, what I'd like to see is an XLS, with the "S" meaning "Smooth". Leave off all the liner teeth that really aren't needed with that handle shape and sign me up. Or Sprint the original Manix with S90V, 10V, K390 or Maxamet. That would be a real beast.
TheGiant80

Post by TheGiant80 »

Thanks Vivi. Very helpful photos and I look forward to seeing how the thread progresses..
vivi

Post by vivi »

yablanowitz wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:39 am
Hard to tell from that picture, but I don't think you'd have to take it back quite that far.

As far as the Manix XL, what I'd like to see is an XLS, with the "S" meaning "Smooth". Leave off all the liner teeth that really aren't needed with that handle shape and sign me up. Or Sprint the original Manix with S90V, 10V, K390 or Maxamet. That would be a real beast.
I like how you think :cheap-sunglasses

RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

I haven't carried my only XL very much, mostly because I think it's really pretty and I don't want to bugger it up. I should get over that, as the Manix 2 XL fits my hand better than any other Spyderco, and the lock is the best that Spyderco makes. The only downside is that it's more of a wintertime knife, when I'm wearing big boy pants. It doesn't carry as well as lighter knives in thin cargo shorts that I wear all summer. The regular Manix 2 carries better, but the added blade length of the XL is welcome.

Interestingly, the shapes of the regular and XL Manixes are almost identical. Take a look at the attached pictures. The shape lines up almost perfectly, aside from the hooked area at the back of the XL. When stacking them atop one another, it's surprising to see how close in size the handles really are.

IMG_7306.jpeg
IMG_7310.jpeg
IMG_7312.jpeg
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Re: Manix XL Ta

Post by apollo »

The Manix XL is probably my favorite platform of the current generation Manixes.
There for i would love a official spyderco sprint run of the model.
As far as steels go. It may go in all directions. I am not the biggest steeljunky out there so that saying i would prefer a coated non stainless steel. M4,Rex-45,3V,4V,10V,… Whatever is most popular and achievable to get these days. Another steel i would like is something like D2 i know people will call me insane but i still like it very very much and even with its age going back tot WW2 if done correctly like Spyderco can it would be one heck of a user blade.
The color of the handle i would go so far as saying Forrest Green i always loved that color. :grin-smiling-eyes
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

yablanowitz wrote:
Sprint the original Manix with S90V, 10V, K390 or Maxamet. That would be a real beast.
I'd buy one of these
vivi

Post by vivi »

apollo wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:56 pm
The Manix XL is probably my favorite platform of the current generation Manixes.
There for i would love a official spyderco sprint run of the model.
As far as steels go. It may go in all directions. I am not the biggest steeljunky out there so that saying i would prefer a coated non stainless steel. M4,Rex-45,3V,4V,10V,… Whatever is most popular and achievable to get these days. Another steel i would like is something like D2 i know people will call me insane but i still like it very very much and even with its age going back tot WW2 if done correctly like Spyderco can it would be one heck of a user blade.
The color of the handle i would go so far as saying Forrest Green i always loved that color. :grin-smiling-eyes
Speaking of old steels, I'd be all about A2 run to 60-61rc.
apollo

Post by apollo »

vivi wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:28 pm
[/quote]

How does A2 compare to steels like D2 or even our standard s30v steel?
I heard of the name but have no clue of how good it is. :grin-smiling-eyes
vivi

Post by vivi »

apollo wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 3:25 pm
vivi wrote:
[/quote]

Trades a little edge holding for toughness VS D2. Run to a high RC the edge holding is good for what it is. I've always liked it better than cruwear personally.
apollo

Post by apollo »

vivi wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 3:27 pm
apollo wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 3:25 pm
vivi wrote:
Trades a little edge holding for toughness VS D2. Run to a high RC the edge holding is good for what it is. I've always liked it better than cruwear personally.
[/quote]

Sounds interesting. I Like steels that have a bit more toughness. Edge retention is not that of an important factor for me since i like to sharpen. But i do have a disliking for steels that really chip easily. :beaming-face
apollo

Post by apollo »

vivi wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:18 pm
yablanowitz wrote:

I like how you think :cheap-sunglasses

Did you just say sprint the original Manix? :scream Sound like heaven to me! :smiling-halo :beaming-face
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

ImageI thought I should post a comparison of past and present Manix XL models to show how the model has evolved . MG2
Henry David Thoreau
vivi

Post by vivi »

that reminds me, I did a pretty in depth breakdown of the two models, comparing some of the more subtle differences like the angle of the thumb ramp changing between gens etc.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85577
BMCM

Post by BMCM »

yablanowitz wrote:
As far as the Manix XL, what I'd like to see is an XLS, with the "S" meaning "Smooth". Leave off all the liner teeth that really aren't needed with that handle shape and sign me up.
I'd certainly be on board with smooth liners so, sign me up too. How about a crucarta version with smooth liners?
Or to complete my set... DLC'd cruwear & purple G10

Cheers
Bill
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

RustyIron wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:20 pm

Interestingly, the shapes of the regular and XL Manixes are almost identical. Take a look at the attached pictures. The shape lines up almost perfectly, aside from the hooked area at the back of the XL. When stacking them atop one another, it's surprising to see how close in size the handles really are.

IMG_7312.jpeg

Thanks for the pics, they make me wonder even more about something I´ve been asking myself anyway already:

- How do bigger hands than mine (Vivi??) find enough space on the XLs handle?

- The XL Manix looks to have the same actual grip area as the Manix 2 - perhaps even a bit less, since the "hook" could be more restricting to bigger hands (has a steeper "curve" than the very gentle Manix 2 "hook")
- Now the Manix 2 fits my L to XL - , but not huge hand perfectly, but pretty tight. Just like a glove made to my specifications -
so how can the potentially even a bit less grip area be enough for folks like Vivi?

And don´t get me wrong: I am sure I would really love the handle of the XL! Should feel just like the Manix 2 handle but with an even more secure and "bracketed in" feel.
Just wondering how this works for hands bigger than mine (most peoples hands though are actually smaller than mine anyway statistically )
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)