Canada's knife laws just cost me almost $400.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Ranger000

Re: Canada's knife laws just cost me almost $400.

Post by Ranger000 »

The knife is NOT ILLEGAL in Canada.

Sounds like it was stolen and they covered it up by sending you the confiscation notice.

CONTINUE TO PURSUE !!
Ranger000

Post by Ranger000 »

Just did a search of "CANADA BANS IMPORTING OF KNIVES".

And guess what.......you have a ridiculous country up there !!!

THEY DO BAN KNIVES !!!

Unfortunately for Canadians, this lack of clarity of what is and isn’t allowed to be imported has been going on for years.

Jan 17, 2018
Canada bans importing of all knives
https://blog.knife-depot.com/canada-ban ... ng-knives/
Ranger000

Post by Ranger000 »

More info about crazy Canada knife laws....

That’s what sparked the latest appeal to the Canadian International Trade Tribunal.

Five Kershaw Skyline knives were seized and classified as prohibited weapons by the Canada Border Services Agency. This is a knife with a flipper but no assisted-opening mechanism.

When CBSA seized the knives, the person tried to appeal the decision.

The CITT agreed that the Skylines were prohibited. The scary part is that the tribunal says that a knife is prohibited if it can open automatically once the blade is slightly ajar “with minimal manipulation by the thumb of either the flipper or other non-edged parts of the blade, such as the nail nick, to overcome the initial resistance.”

That could be just about any knife.
bgcameron

Post by bgcameron »

Ranger000 wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:26 am

The CITT agreed that the Skylines were prohibited. The scary part is that the tribunal says that a knife is prohibited if it can open automatically once the blade is slightly ajar “with minimal manipulation by the thumb of either the flipper or other non-edged parts of the blade, such as the nail nick, to overcome the initial resistance.”

That could be just about any knife.
I understand you're quoting the article you linked, but they have misquoted the law. Not that it makes much of a difference, but it adds to my point of leaving it open to interpretation:

"2. In accordance with subsection 84(1) of the Criminal Code and the CITT's recent decision in T. LaPlante, the CBSA resolves that centrifugal knives will be classified as prohibited weapons if the following conditions are met:

a knife has a blade that opens by centrifugal force, when the blade is released from the handle into the fully ejected and locked position with a simple and brisk outwardly flick of the wrist; and
it includes knives that require some preliminary or simultaneous minimal manipulation of either a flipper or other non-edged parts of the blade."

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publication ... 1-eng.html
chkn

Post by chkn »

TheGiant80 wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:24 am
My message said that I was new to having a blade seized at the border, and I wanted to know if a) there was a chance customs would send it back to the shipper, b) if there was a chance customs would eventually decide it wasn't illegal and I could have it, c) if the knife would be held indefinitely or destroyed. Their reply was one sentence telling me they couldn't refund the money or send a new knife; both things I didn't ask about.
BladeHQ probably aren't experts on Canadian knife laws, as it should be on the buyer to be sure what they're doing is legal and proper for their country/state/province/territory/etc, so asking them questions about what the CBSA or whoever the governing body is that confiscated your knives will do with them is wasting both their time and yours.

What you should be doing is pointing your frustration at the governing body and lawmakers that allowed your knives to be confiscated. They're the reason you're out your money and knives, not BladeHQ. If you want to blame them that will just give them motivation to refuse to ship outside of the U.S. to not have to deal with these issue.

Don't get me wrong, I'm extremely sympathetic with you, it's a disgusting feeling to have paid for something and it not show up or someone tell you they confiscated it, but BladeHQ probably has no idea how this will pan out so they can't tell you exactly what will happen and it's not fair for them to bear the cost of another country's bureaucracy, just like it wouldn't be fair if you sold something to someone in a different country and it got taken by their government and they expected you to reimburse them for it.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

The OP did not blame BHQ, only noted their usual terrible responses. However, it is crazy to think that BHQ does not know about the bad practices of the CBSA in regards to knives entering the country. As one of North Americas largest dealers, they should know and should have an automatic notice to Canadian customer about the potential of losing the knife and their money. The point is they don't send a notice and they don't care.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
TheGiant80

Post by TheGiant80 »

chkn wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:31 am
BladeHQ probably aren't experts on Canadian knife laws, as it should be on the buyer to be sure what they're doing is legal and proper for their country/state/province/territory/etc, so asking them questions about what the CBSA or whoever the governing body is that confiscated your knives will do with them is wasting both their time and yours.

What you should be doing is pointing your frustration at the governing body and lawmakers that allowed your knives to be confiscated. They're the reason you're out your money and knives, not BladeHQ. If you want to blame them that will just give them motivation to refuse to ship outside of the U.S. to not have to deal with these issue.

Don't get me wrong, I'm extremely sympathetic with you, it's a disgusting feeling to have paid for something and it not show up or someone tell you they confiscated it, but BladeHQ probably has no idea how this will pan out so they can't tell you exactly what will happen and it's not fair for them to bear the cost of another country's bureaucracy, just like it wouldn't be fair if you sold something to someone in a different country and it got taken by their government and they expected you to reimburse them for it.
The only reason I asked BladeHQ for their input is because I assumed they had experience with their shipments having trouble getting over the border. This can't be the first time it's happened, and so I was hoping they could give me some insight. I wasn't asking WHY it happened as I already understood that. I wasn't asking them to explain knife laws to me. I asked what happens next. And my frustration resulted from them ignoring my questions and providing a one-sentence response that had nothing to do with my inquiry. Even if they would have said something like "We don't know what's going to happen", that would have been a more appropriate response than what I received.

These most recent replies to the thread I've been receiving seem to be cherry-picking from what I've been saying and twisting the narrative.
TheGiant80

Post by TheGiant80 »

JRinFL wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:44 am
The OP did not blame BHQ, only noted their usual terrible responses.
Yes! Thank you!
chkn

Post by chkn »

JRinFL wrote:
it is crazy to think that BHQ does not know about the bad practices of the CBSA in regards to knives entering the country. As one of North Americas largest dealers, they should know and should have an automatic notice to Canadian customer about the potential of losing the knife and their money.
Or they can just refuse to ship there entirely like some knife sites have done with New York
The point is they don't send a notice and they don't care.
Expecting an online retailer to have intimate knowledge of how a foreign customs agency operates is absurd. They didn't answer his questions because they can't. Best to direct their inquires to the agency themselves instead of expecting the retailer to make false statements trying to assuage the customer of a problem they didn't create, which arguably happened because said customer didn't do their due diligence.
TheGiant80 wrote: The only reason I asked BladeHQ for their input is because I assumed they had experience with their shipments having trouble getting over the border. This can't be the first time it's happened, and so I was hoping they could give me some insight. I wasn't asking WHY it happened as I already understood that. I wasn't asking them to explain knife laws to me. I asked what happens next.
See the above response.
These most recent replies to the thread I've been receiving seem to be cherry-picking from what I've been saying and twisting the narrative.
Maybe because you focused on being upset about the knife retailer rather than the people you should be mad at.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

TheGiant80 wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:49 pm

The comp lock allowing one handed opening and closing is a bit of a grey area. Like another user said, it was up to the discretion [sanctioned opportunity of legal theft] of the customs agent.

There, fixed.

Very sorry Giant80. We feel your pain.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
96snma

Post by 96snma »

This happened with my BHQ m4 satin shaman. Seized at the boarder as a “centrifugal” knife as well.

There is a process to get it back which I did. Thankfully we also have a cabin in Montana that I should have just had it shipped there originally. Live and learn I guess.

You can have it exported to a country that accepts it. They sent the paperwork with my letter claiming seizure. You have to fill out forms and have a “bonded carrier” pick it up and ship it. Cost me an extra $65 in ups fees but it’s currently waiting for me to go down to Montana and get it.

The best chance of having it not seized I’ve heard is have the sending company tighten the pivot so much that it can barely move/be opened. That way it isn’t a “centrifugal knife”
VandymanG

Post by VandymanG »

Whoa 😮 did a search here regarding folding knives and Canada and I’m surprised about the knife law. I’m going on a father daughter trip to Canada 🇨🇦. My daughter wanted one last trip to Vancouver before she leaves for Syracuse in August. I’ve carried my PM2 every day since I’ve bought it. I’ve never been stopped before at the border but I didn’t start carrying nice knives until 2020.

Need some advice because I’m not sure I should risk bringing any of my folding knives with me to Canada. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

It’s really weird to me that my mule Team knives would be ok but that folding knives are illegal. Guess I’ll be carrying my AEB-L mule while in Canada.
Greg

* EDC> PM2 - S45VN & CRUWEAR, Native - CRUWEAR, Rockjumper - VG 10
Temporarily put my mules away cause I got tired of my wife saying do you really need 5 knives on you. MULE - K294 and AEB-L (keep returning to this mule cause it’s awesome)
huyfishin

Post by huyfishin »

i'm from Canada. We have the most wack laws lol I'm allowed to fly with a dragonfly in Canada. I can carry a blade of any length as long as a samurai sword on the street legally. But if its a folding knife it can get confiscated at the border. I dont know what to say. If you don't want to risk losing anything expensive bring something cheap. If you don't want to lose anything just bring a fixed blade. Fix blades don't get seized.

EDIT: the crazy part is when it gets seized. apparently CBSA and CATSA agents that seize it get first dips. After that it gets auctioned away in boxes full of multitools and blades to be on the street anyways. Thats what i've been told from a retired CATSA agent.

I Play With Salt Knives / instagram huyfishin
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:34 pm
Rinzler wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:40 am
Add another reason to avoid BHQ.
I don't see how BHQ has done any wrong here, though I suppose they could commiserate.

It certainly sucks. Lucky for me here in Arizona there are virtually no knife laws.
What BHQ could do is issue a warning about shipping to Canadian addresses because of spot-checks the CBSA uses to prevent delivery. Without such a warning, BHQ looks very much like it cares only to take your money.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Bolster wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 5:59 pm
TheGiant80 wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:49 pm

The comp lock allowing one handed opening and closing is a bit of a grey area. Like another user said, it was up to the discretion [sanctioned opportunity of legal theft] of the customs agent.

There, fixed.

Very sorry Giant80. We feel your pain.
As Bolster said…

Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

Here in NZ a few years ago, you could ask the assorted airports if you could but any confiscated "tools".

I was GIVEN a shoe box with scissors of all sizes, knitting needles, hairbrushes, combs, Bandaids ( ?) 6 inch plastic rulers, and one knife: a Gas Station Special... the plastic rulers had better edge retention.

And yet there were more " tools" confiscated...wonder where they went?
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

wrdwrght wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2023 1:04 pm
What BHQ could do is issue a warning about shipping to Canadian addresses because of spot-checks the CBSA uses to prevent delivery. Without such a warning, BHQ looks very much like it cares only to take your money.
From their shipping page:

"If items get lost, stolen, or seized by customs, we are not accountable, and cannot give a refund.
Understand their own/carry laws in their country and have proper permits where applicable
Please note that we do not falsify customs documents. We will list exact items and exact values, in accordance with national and federal laws. If you believe that your items will be seized at customs when labeled appropriately, we urge you to carefully consider this."

Although Canada isn't mentioned specifically, they do warn people to do some research on their own laws.
VandymanG

Post by VandymanG »

JRinFL wrote:
The OP did not blame BHQ, only noted their usual terrible responses. However, it is crazy to think that BHQ does not know about the bad practices of the CBSA in regards to knives entering the country. As one of North Americas largest dealers, they should know and should have an automatic notice to Canadian customer about the potential of losing the knife and their money. The point is they don't send a notice and they don't care.
Totally agree with you. I’m in Washington state and they make it very clear they will not ship automatics to a Washington address. So I have to wonder why they don’t do the same for Canada and their knife laws. I believe automatics, balisong and gravity knives are the only thing illegal here. Because the knife dealers make it very clear they won’t ship them I don’t even look at them.
Greg

Temporarily put my mules away cause I got tired of my wife saying do you really need 5 knives on you. MULE - K294 and AEB-L (keep returning to this mule cause it’s awesome)
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

BornIn1500 wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2023 2:47 pm
wrdwrght wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2023 1:04 pm
From their shipping page:

"If items get lost, stolen, or seized by customs, we are not accountable, and cannot give a refund.
Understand their own/carry laws in their country and have proper permits where applicable
Please note that we do not falsify customs documents. We will list exact items and exact values, in accordance with national and federal laws. If you believe that your items will be seized at customs when labeled appropriately, we urge you to carefully consider this."

Although Canada isn't mentioned specifically, they do warn people to do some research on their own laws.
You don’t think Canada and the arbitrariness of its CBSA merit an explicit call-out, given repeated complaints here?

VandymanG

Post by VandymanG »

huyfishin wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2023 11:24 am
i'm from Canada. We have the most wack laws lol I'm allowed to fly with a dragonfly in Canada. I can carry a blade of any length as long as a samurai sword on the street legally. But if its a folding knife it can get confiscated at the border. I dont know what to say. If you don't want to risk losing anything expensive bring something cheap. If you don't want to lose anything just bring a fixed blade. Fix blades don't get seized.

EDIT: the crazy part is when it gets seized. apparently CBSA and CATSA agents that seize it get first dips. After that it gets auctioned away in boxes full of multitools and blades to be on the street anyways. Thats what i've been told from a retired CATSA agent.

Wow, thank you for the info. Not sure I would have believed the knife on a plane thing if you hadn’t provided a picture. Is there a reason behind the knife laws in Canada?
Greg