Jimping on the back of handles

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sonorum

Jimping on the back of handles

Post by Sonorum »

What's your thoughts on jimping on the back of handles? For me it serves no purpose.

I only notice the jimping when it gives me the ouchies when I'm bearing down on the knife cutting thick cardboard, treelimbs in the garden and so forth. Hard use as it's popularly called. I feel like jimping there causes more problems than it solves.

For stopping my hand moving forward on the handle the choil on the handle and the hump on the blade stops the hand, for stopping the hand moving of the back of the handle I find the shape of the handle to be more important. And let's not forget the FRN texture on the sides which I would argue is way more important than the jimping on the top in regards to "grippytude". The vaseline-factory is perilous!

I've given serious thought to filling the ridges up with epoxy or ca glue to smoothen it out.

My vote is for an Endela 2 without the jimping on the top of the handle and Rock Jumper-esque rounded of underside of the handle such as in the last picture.

The culprit of ergonomic woes:

Example of a grip where I experience pain:

Marks after a short time:

Bonus image. This is my old suggestion of a smoothed out Endela handle which would give a more universal fit for hands of all sizes.
/ David
vivi

Re: Jimping on the back of handles

Post by vivi »

that sort of jimping never causes me hotspots or issues.

the handle jimping on the manix series, however....
:unicorn
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

vivi wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 3:17 am
that sort of jimping never causes me hotspots or issues.

the handle jimping on the manix series, however....
Well that's like a bloody hedgehog! :squinting-tongue
/ David
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

If its frn then it doesnt bother me. I guess even my hard use is only very brief.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Honestly, it has never bothered me on the FRN models. Like others have said, it may be a bit much on the Manix 2.

I do have a weird take on jimping on the blade. I like/want it when there is a thumb ramp. I can do without it when it has a straght spine. I could take it or leave it on the Native Chief. I really want it on the Rock Jumper. Something about pushing against the thumb ramp feels like it is building up pressure to slip at any moment. Whereas on a straight spine I am pushing my thumb down against the blade, and I don't feel like it adds that much to my grip. I know weird.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Jimping is one of those things in life where there never can be a consensus on what is too little and what is too much. Spyderco tries for a happy middle ground, but people, being human and all that, can never agree that Spyderco's middle ground is correct middle ground. :thinking :spiral-eyes
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

it's never bothered me.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

i have never wished there was less jimping on any Spyderco model, but many times I have wished for more jimping or even passed on models due to lack of jimping. jimping is great. more jimping please.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

It’s never bothered me. It’s likely just aesthetic or for a tactile feeling. Some texture makes a product feel less “toy-like”.

IMHO jimping (if for traction) in general is quite silly. Handle geometry is King. Many years ago there was a YouTube “celebrity” putting skateboard tape all over his knives believing on a push cut it would actually keep the bare hand from slipping.
phaust

Post by phaust »

It's useful with gloves in my experience.
Fly Fishing Rick

Post by Fly Fishing Rick »

I'm generally not a fan and often find it to be far more aggressive and sharp than it heeds to be but I do like it on some things, primarily anything I'm using in wet environments or with poor ergonomics. I also agree with @phaust, they are helpful when wearing gloves, so they go well on harder use knives as well. I'm just glad the jimping on the back of my CruCarta PM2 doesn't stick up above the micarta, the jimping on the thumb ramp and choil were so sharp I decided to sand them down a bit to give it a better feel.
-Jimmy
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I can see it with gloves. Skin is going to slip and in extreme cases leave some dermis behind.

Still though, handle ergonomics is going to keep your hand from sliding up. Especially in a hammer grip. Most my saber grip/barehand use is extremely light work. The thumb ramp, jimped or not, is mainly a control tool.
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Sonorum wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:38 am

Bonus image. This is my old suggestion of a smoothed out Endela handle which would give a more universal fit for hands of all sizes.
I really like it. That's actually close to how I envision the Leaf Jumper to look. Sorry to go a little off topic.
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

Bemo wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:04 am
Sonorum wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:38 am

I really like it. That's actually close to how I envision the Leaf Jumper to look. Sorry to go a little off topic.
That was the point if the picture :shush
/ David
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

I find that as long as a handle is well designed, jimping isn't necessary at all and in many cases is more a detriment than an aid.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN