Day in life of Japanese knife maker

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
cyberdemon8

Day in life of Japanese knife maker

Post by cyberdemon8 »

Hello,
Been a member for while but one of my first posts. I came across this YouTube video on Zwilling Henckles factory in Japan (Seki City!). Just thought I’d share something I found interesting with fellow knife nuts :bug-red-white .

https://youtu.be/Q-8dnpiEePk
Last edited by cyberdemon8 on Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bemo

Re: Day in life of Japanese knife maker

Post by Bemo »

Thanks for the video and welcome to the forum!
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Cyberdemon8,

Welcome to our forum and thanx much for the link. Hope you've been enjoying your time here.

sal
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Welcome cyberdemon!

Great video, thanks for sharing. This is the first I’m hearing of the Japanese concept of Kaizen, but somehow it sounds very, very familiar. 🤔 😉
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Welcome to the Forum . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
James Y

Post by James Y »

👍🏻 Enjoyed the video a lot! Thanks for posting, and welcome!

Jim
PStone

Post by PStone »

That was a great video. Not at all what I was expecting, but totally worth the watch. Also, the name of the box lunches they were eating at the factory gave me a little chuckle too, “Bento Boxes”. Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing that!
:bug-red-white
James Y

Post by James Y »

PStone wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:04 pm
That was a great video. Not at all what I was expecting, but totally worth the watch. Also, the name of the box lunches they were eating at the factory gave me a little chuckle too, “Bento Boxes”. Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing that!

“Bento” means “convenience,” as in a meal that is packed and ready to go. In Taiwan it’s called “Bian Dang,” which consists of the same kanji (Chinese characters) as “bento.” They are ubiquitous in many Asian countries.

Jim
Nuh Nups

Post by Nuh Nups »

Welcome!
M.N.O.S.D. member 0026
Nuh Nups

Post by Nuh Nups »

James Y wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:23 pm
PStone wrote:

“Bento” means “convenience,” as in a meal that is packed and ready to go. In Taiwan it’s called “Bian Dang,” which consists of the same kanji (Chinese characters) as “bento.” They are ubiquitous in many Asian countries.

Jim
I think it gave him a chuckle because of the Spyderco dealer, Bento Box Shop. :winking-tongue
M.N.O.S.D. member 0026
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

Thanks cyberdemon! Cool video.
Who else is thinking... We need a Day in the life at a Spyderco factory video! :star-struck
•• Beau
James Y

Post by James Y »

Nuh Nups wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:35 pm
James Y wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:23 pm
PStone wrote:

Jim
I think it gave him a chuckle because of the Spyderco dealer, Bento Box Shop. :winking-tongue

Ah, I see. Thanks! 🙂

Jim
Ranger_Ike

Post by Ranger_Ike »

Welcome and thanks for the link.
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

:smlling-eyes
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Very cool. Those MIYABI 800 DP had some interesting patterns.

Seki City, Japan reminds me of Maniago, Italy where there are high concentrations of knife makers and skilled personnel. Perhaps even Taichung, Taiwan and Solingen, Germany.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

RamZar wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:01 am

Seki City, Japan reminds me of Maniago, Italy where there are high concentrations of knife makers and skilled personnel. Perhaps even Taichung, Taiwan and Solingen, Germany.
...and it's exactly like how Sheffield, England used to work (not sure they produce cutlery there like they used to).

The Miyabi knives sure look pretty. The 5000 series with the birch handles look top notch.
/ David
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Sonorum wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:52 am
RamZar wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:01 am

...and it's exactly like how Sheffield, England used to work (not sure they produce cutlery there like they used to).

The Miyabi knives sure look pretty. The 5000 series with the birch handles look top notch.

The era of Sheffield, England being the center of cutlery was during the Industrial Age. Stainless steel (early on it was called rustless steel) was invented there by Harry Brearley in 1913.

The MIYABI BIRCHWOOD SG2 5000MCD is also what the factory manager, Yamada, said was his favorite.

• I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

The Miyabi knives are a very nice alternative to Shun. I agree that the birch handles are the most striking.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Excellent video. Check out the sharpening!