C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Re: C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Post by JD Spydo »

Buddafucco wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:24 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:14 pm
Masterhat wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:02 am
PE seems sold out SE still available at this time
This bad boy sure seems to be selling awfully fast. Especially with all the predictions I heard to the contrary. And with all the fanfare we had on this thread I have no doubt that both PE & SE will both sell out completely.

I can't wait to test drive the new SE blade. I called New Graham and one other dealer today and both said they were not getting any till this coming Monday (08-15-22). This is strange that just a trickle of them are hitting the market. Or is that what they do with Sprint Runs?
KnifeWorks:
PlainEdge... https://knifeworks.com/syderco-massad-a ... c60gpgy-1/
SpyderEdge... https://knifeworks.com/syderco-massad-a ... r-c60gsgy/
I thought someone told me early in the week that KNifeWorks and Knife Center were both sold out. But I'm glad they got them. I just hope they got quite a few.
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:28 pm
I thought someone told me early in the week that KNifeWorks and Knife Center were both sold out. But I'm glad they got them. I just hope they got quite a few.
All the Premier dealers get that handful of knives in the first shipment, then they get a larger shipment later. A lot of these dealers that we see at first will put them back up for sale in a week or so when they get that 2nd shipment.
Last edited by Buddafucco on Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
•• Beau
Rp5

Post by Rp5 »

Budd,

Really appreciate the help you give people looking for new sprints.

You're like Spyderco Batman... not the hero we deserve, but the one we need.
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

**** it. I got paid this morning and nothing in stock. Aargh
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

5-by-5 wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:21 pm
If these early sell-outs are any indicator then I would highly suggest you all get one as soon as humanly possible.

I hope that by next week we can compile a list of dealers.

I'm curious as to how this Sprint Run with Cruwear is going to affect the value of previous C-60 Ayoob models?
Michal O

Post by Michal O »

Mint classic variant still has high value.
Current collection: Lil Temperance G10, Shaman, Lil Native, Massad Ayoob cruwear, Smock, Street Beat, Street Bowie, Para 3, PM2 purple G10 cruwear, Canis, Rhino, Endura 4 K390, Watu, Kapara, Amalgam, Sliverax, Police 4 se K390, Police 4 pe K390, Khukuri, Barong, Ulize.
James Y

Post by James Y »

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:23 pm
5-by-5 wrote:
If these early sell-outs are any indicator then I would highly suggest you all get one as soon as humanly possible.

I'm curious as to how this Sprint Run with Cruwear is going to affect the value of previous C-60 Ayoob models?

TBH, I was a bit relieved when i learned that this sprint is a tool steel version. I personally do not prefer tool steel in folders. And also, I won't be sparing money for any more knives anytime soon. Well, that'll leave one more C-60 knife for someone else who wants a carbon steel version, and I avoid the stress and save the money. So everyone wins!

🤪

Jim
confucius

Post by confucius »

ladybug93 wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:07 pm
so... this came today.

and... i had every intention of not being picky about the serrations being perfect. however, what in the world is going on here, spyderco?

i expected better coming direct from spyderco.
Agree 100%. I’ve been anticipating this knife for a long time. Very disappointed. About the last/first serration. The double mini serration is so flat it’s almost not a serration at all. The result is that the blade has a “hook.” I wish the seki team had just omitted that last set of serrations and continued the chisel grind down another 1-2 cm.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

confucius wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:53 am
ladybug93 wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:07 pm
so... this came today.

and... i had every intention of not being picky about the serrations being perfect. however, what in the world is going on here, spyderco?

i expected better coming direct from spyderco.
Agree 100%. I’ve been anticipating this knife for a long time. Very disappointed. About the last/first serration. The double mini serration is so flat it’s almost not a serration at all. The result is that the blade has a “hook.” I wish the seki team had just omitted that last set of serrations and continued the chisel grind down another 1-2 cm.
i was kind of hoping that sal or one of the other mods would chime in about it. maybe they still will. i will add another picture later today showing the grind of the pe portion... it's at a really high angle, which is part of the reason i think that portion may the where the grind error is instead of the serrations.

i was really excited about this knife, even though i wasn't sure i'd end up getting it depending on the cost. i'm glad i went for it, but i'm disappointed in the quality. knives at this price point shouldn't require anything from the user out of the box. it shouldn't need to be reprofiled. it certainly shouldn't have visible flaws in the grind.

now, i'm kind of stuck. do i return the knife because on principle it should've been better? if i do that, i take the chance of never being able to get one again. so i have to just accept that it's flawed and try to fix a $200+ knife myself because it came flawed from the factory.

all of that to say... i understand that the knife will still cut and function just fine. i understand that it should be relatively easy to remedy. i just don't like that it's not right after such a long wait and for so much money. regardless, this isn't the quality we have grown to expect from spyderco.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Everyone who bought one should take a moment and write a letter or email to Spyderco about this issue. I'm not sure comments left on the forum are sufficient.

If it were me, I'd exchange to a plain edge while there is still inventory left.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
benben

Post by benben »

Well this almost 100 page thread went to $h*t real quick! I really was on the fence on which edge to get, probably both? Looks like I've made up my mind now, plus I've got plenty of other serrated knives to hold me over.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Sorry your teeth aren’t great.

I’ll stay the course and get one. So long as it’s sharp and has a 4-way clip I’ll be very happy.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Blerv wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:21 am
Sorry your teeth aren’t great.

I’ll stay the course and get one. So long as it’s sharp and has a 4-way clip I’ll be very happy.
i think you should. seeing the other pictures didn't detract from me going with serrations. i still think that's the way this knife should be and am not interested in pe really. i definitely wanted to add another data point to the discussion though.

i'm glad i was able to get an ayoob and i appreciate spyderco reviving the model for a sprint. i just wish they did a better job at grinding these serrations in a more uniform manner. i mean spyderco did bring serrations to folding knives and has some of the best serrations in the industry. you'd think they would take more pride in making them right, especially for a limited release model.

i would still want to get a se ayoob though, despite these imperfect examples.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

James Y wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:06 am
JD Spydo wrote:
5-by-5 wrote:

TBH, I was a bit relieved when i learned that this sprint is a tool steel version. I personally do not prefer tool steel in folders. And also, I won't be sparing money for any more knives anytime soon. Well, that'll leave one more C-60 knife for someone else who wants a carbon steel version, and I avoid the stress and save the money. So everyone wins!

🤪

Jim
JIm God Bless you buddy you got my attention!! Question??!!! Jim what is your aversion to "tool Steel"? Is it the extra time you spend in sharpening or have you had other bad experiences with it or what? Frankly I love sharpening so much that it is a great way for me to utilize my time during certain activities. And it's like therapy to me for some strange reason. Jim ol' buddy you've just got to realize that everything is a trade off of sorts.
metaphoricalsimile

Post by metaphoricalsimile »

It looks like that's just how these knives got ground, judging by a very similar weird serration pattern near the tip on this pic from Knifecenter

James Y

Post by James Y »

JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:42 am
James Y wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:06 am
JD Spydo wrote:
5-by-5 wrote:

🤪

Jim
JIm God Bless you buddy you got my attention!! Question??!!! Jim what is your aversion to "tool Steel"? Is it the extra time you spend in sharpening or have you had other bad experiences with it or what? Frankly I love sharpening so much that it is a great way for me to utilize my time during certain activities. And it's like therapy to me for some strange reason. Jim ol' buddy you've just got to realize that everything is a trade off of sorts.

Hi, Joe,

Nah, it isn’t the sharpening, I’m OK with sharpening. I simply prefer stainless over tool steels. Even knowing that even stainless means just that: “Stains Less.”

🙂

Jim
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I kind of like the way the serrations end. I think that slight height differential between the SE and PE section will make a very effective edge for “scoring” pull cuts on flat surfaces. Kind of like a little “micro hawkbill”. Just make sure that corner is sharp and it should be very effective at that type of cut. The more I look at this the more I think I will like it in use.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Surfingringo wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:49 am
I kind of like the way the serrations end. I think that slight height differential between the SE and PE section will make a very effective edge for “scoring” pull cuts on flat surfaces. Kind of like a little “micro hawkbill”. Just make sure that corner is sharp and it should be very effective at that type of cut. The more I look at this the more I think I will like it in use.
:rofl
current collection:
spyderco steels:
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

ladybug93 wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:53 am
Surfingringo wrote:
You don’t think? I don’t think it was really intentional but I think it will be very effective in actual use. I’m not sure I wouldn’t want every se knife to have that type of transition…at least for the way I use serrated knives. I want to get one now just to try it out.

Honestly I wasn’t even interested in this sprint until seeing these photos.
resonanzmacher

Post by resonanzmacher »

Surfingringo wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:04 pm
ladybug93 wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:53 am
Surfingringo wrote:
You don’t think? I don’t think it was really intentional but I think it will be very effective in actual use. I’m not sure I wouldn’t want every se knife to have that type of transition…at least for the way I use serrated knives. I want to get one now just to try it out.

Honestly I wasn’t even interested in this sprint until seeing these photos.
I've been thinking very similar things. I think it's likely it ends up being a happy accident, although I think I get why some folks just will dislike the look enough to want to steer clear of the serrated version. It gives a bit of a hook there at the end, which can be very handy.