Official Serration Pattern Thread

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Official Serration Pattern Thread

Post by Doc Dan »

They do, for a fact. They are kind of like those rounded off serrations that were being recommended to us a while back.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

The shallow serrations, as far as I know, are still being highly recommended. I have no issue with the factory pointy ones, but having newly experienced a Delica wharncliffe, with very shallow serrations, I am a complete believer.
Last edited by cabfrank on Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
James Y

Post by James Y »

The Victorinox serrations are excellent. The serrations on their Swiss Soldier SAK is the exact same pattern as on their serrated kitchen knives.

IMO, the best Spyderco serrations are shallow and not overly deep or spiky.

Jim
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

James Y wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:58 pm
The Victorinox serrations are excellent. The serrations on their Swiss Soldier SAK is the exact same pattern as on their serrated kitchen knives.

Jim
Jim it just amazes me at how ordinary and small the serrations are on most newer Victorinox blades. Especially the blades on my Swiss Tool and Swiss Tool X. The ones on their classic Swiss Army Knives are great as well. Now I'm not at all putting them ahead of those of Spyderco's because theirs is truly the "Gold Standard" of the industry. But for a simple serration pattern I've found serrations on really expensive culinary knives that didn't work any better and for about 3 to 4 times the price I might add.

I've said for a long time that Victorinox may indeed be the best overall value for those on a very limited budget. Not to mention the Victorinox serrations are very easy to sharpen and maintain as well.
James Y

Post by James Y »

JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:07 am
James Y wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:58 pm

Jim
Jim it just amazes me at how ordinary and small the serrations are on most newer Victorinox blades. Especially the blades on my Swiss Tool and Swiss Tool X. The ones on their classic Swiss Army Knives are great as well. Now I'm not at all putting them ahead of those of Spyderco's because theirs is truly the "Gold Standard" of the industry. But for a simple serration pattern I've found serrations on really expensive culinary knives that didn't work any better and for about 3 to 4 times the price I might add.

I've said for a long time that Victorinox may indeed be the best overall value for those on a very limited budget. Not to mention the Victorinox serrations are very easy to sharpen and maintain as well.

My two favorite knife brands, Spyderco and Victorinox, are neck-and-neck for me, for different reasons. I know this is the Spyderco forum, but I have to add that, IMO, Victorinox knives (SAKs and kitchen knives) punch WAY above their price point in quality.

That said, there are some robust uses I would put my SE Spyderco blades to that I would not put my Victorinox serrated blades to. But they’re all good.

Jim
elena86

Post by elena86 »

I hate shallow serrations ! The idea behind serrations is to be as aggresive as possible. I love old school “pikey” spyderedge. Enough said. Oh … and why is this thread “official” ? Just curious…
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I have no problem with the spikey ones, but for me, the shallow ones cut even better. No matter though, the spikey are destined to get shallower.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

cabfrank wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 3:20 pm
I have no problem with the spikey ones, but for me, the shallow ones cut even better. No matter though, the spikey are destined to get shallower.
Some serration patterns are more efficient than others. And not every Spyderco serration pattern is equal by any means. I personally like both the spikey and the ones with a more low profile. I also find the rounded/wavy serration patterns like the ones on many of Spyderco's kitchen/culinary knives to be great for food and certain types of meat processing.

The serration pattern on my Spyderco Catcherman model from the AUS-8 era are like the best of both worlds so to speak. Today I was cutting with a Boker serrated paring knife that I obtained in a thrift store about 2 years ago. The serrations on it are similar to the ones on the Victorinox blades but they are longer in the scallops than many others.

The only serration pattern I never liked nor did I ever find much practical use for are the ones they use on Cold Steel's serrated blades. I never could learn to like those at all.
Wdr65

Post by Wdr65 »

I haven't seen much discussion about the Byrd Wharncliffe models and their serrations. They are the best cutting ones I have at the moment. The Cara Cara 2 wharncliffe SE model is slicier than my Endura wharncliffe SE and every other SE Spydie I have. I assume it's because of a thinner grind and shallower serrations. It may not hold to as hard of use as standard Spyderco serrations but I've been very impressed with them so far.
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Wdr65 wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:31 pm
I haven't seen much discussion about the Byrd Wharncliffe models and their serrations. They are the best cutting ones I have at the moment. The Cara Cara 2 wharncliffe SE model is slicier than my Endura wharncliffe SE and every other SE Spydie I have. I assume it's because of a thinner grind and shallower serrations. It may not hold to as hard of use as standard Spyderco serrations but I've been very impressed with them so far.
I LUV 'em for my purposes. Slicey and less snaggy than most. I'm probably in the minority, but I really like that they have more teeth and less of a PE section at the tip as I almost always have a PE knife on me as well. Can't say this about many knives, but I think everyone should try one......especially the Harrier 2.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Wdr65 wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:31 pm
I've never yet owned or used a Byrd model. But you've got my attention. Do those serrations on those Byrd models really perform better than those on the SPYDERCO models? If so I guess I better look into it. I have been tempted on several occasions to get a Byrd Crossbill because of my fascination of Hawkbill models. I may just pull the trigger soon so I can check it out.
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Cara Cara 2 rescue vs Pacific salt 2 comparison.

Byrd has less PE section and more slicey overall.
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

I've owned both and the Byrd Serrated Wharnies are even slicier IMHO.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

skeeg11 wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:20 pm
I've owned both and the Byrd Serrated Wharnies are even slicier IMHO.
I'm going to make it a point to snag one of those Byrd CROSSBILL models. I would love to compare it to one of Spyderco's Harpy or TASMAN models. I've always seen rather subtle differences in their serration patterns>> even though they are ever so slight.

It's still blowing me away how unbelievable the new C-60 full SE model cuts with that slightly different SE pattern on it. I think that new full SE C-60 model could change a lot of what people will expect from serrated edged in the not too distant future.

I hope they look into more different SE patterns in different models in the next 2 to 5 years or so.
Wdr65

Post by Wdr65 »

The Wharncliffe Byrd models are the thinnest ground sliciest models AFAIK they are the only ones ground that thin so far. The Byrd Rescues and others I’ve had were not as good, still good but not the same.

I’ve used Spyderco’s serrations since I bought my first Endura circa 2004. I was always impressed with them and have around a dozen SE models. When I got the flat ground SE wharnie I was impressed but the Byrd really blew me away performance wise.
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Sounds about right. Amazing isn't it. ;)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

elena86 wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 3:16 pm
I hate shallow serrations ! The idea behind serrations is to be as aggresive as possible. I love old school “pikey” spyderedge. Enough said. Oh … and why is this thread “official” ? Just curious…
Nothing nefarious meant by the title I can assure you. I just want this thread to bring out as much objective talk and comparison about Spyderco's great serration patterns compared to other competitor's serration patterns so we all might learn a thing or two.

I'm not constricting this thread to only Spyderco's great Spyderedges>> no you can talk about serrations from other great knife manufacturers as well. Just like yourself preferring the more spikey type of serration like we've seen on the Japan made Spyderco models of the past I've found by using them that there are good uses for most of the different serration patterns out there on the open market. I found that in some applications a low profile type of serration pattern has certain advantages with food processing and in some fish preparation jobs.

Comparing those different serration patterns by doing side by side objective testing is probably the best way we can learn their advantages and disadvantages. I'm just simply trying to raise awareness in this area. Not at all trying to say that we are the only source of information on this subject by any means. But I do appreciate you asking that question however. And I hope that sheds some light on the subject.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

I keep a Byrd Rescue in my car console. Seldom used, it impresses me on the occasions I employ it. It’s totally factory. I keep it ready in case I ever have an emergency need to free someone from a car.
cjk

Post by cjk »

I have seen the serrated Endela get a lot of positive comments for its shallower serrations. I assume this means the "normal" Endela blade shape. Does the serrated wharncliffe Endela have the same serrations as the normal one or are they different?

and as a followup, does the serrated Rockjumper have the same shallow serrations as the aforementioned Endelas?

The only serrated knife I own is a PACIFIC SALT™ 2 GREEN LC200N so that's really my only reference point.
Last edited by cjk on Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Bill1170 wrote:
Wed Aug 24, 2022 7:39 am
I keep a Byrd Rescue in my car console. Seldom used, it impresses me on the occasions I employ it. It’s totally factory. I keep it ready in case I ever have an emergency need to free someone from a car.
Yeah I'm gonna make it a point to get a Crossbill>> after and only after I get my second set of C-60 Ayoob Cruwear Sprint Run folders. You've got to prioritize at times and the C-60 Ayoob Cruwear model will come first. And I may end up getting 3 sets of them if I can free up some cash soon. Because I've got a strange feeling that model might be extremely difficult to get even 6 months from this post..

I've been horribly tempted to check out a Byrd Crossbill for some time now. In the past I've been totally dedicated to Spyderco's great line up of blades. But sometimes you've got to do a little bit of exploring.

I've also wondered if any of Byrd's Wharnie blades have decent serration patterns? I've never owned or test driven any of them yet so I guess I'll have to find out by taking the plunge.