Manix 2 XL SE - Is it possible?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderForLyfe

Manix 2 XL SE - Is it possible?

Post by SpyderForLyfe »

I'd love a fully serrated Manix (plain or XL). I know they have the combo blade for the standard sized Manix (though I'd love to see one on the XL too!) Is this possible? Has it happened before?

Personally (and I know this is a huge pipe dream) I'd love to see SE and combo options on all of their models.
vivi

Re: Manix 2 XL SE - Is it possible?

Post by vivi »

Gotta go back to the C95 if you want teeth on the full sized version, or look into aftermarket mods like veff serrations if it has to be the second gen.
:unicorn
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I wonder why the Manix doesn't offer teeth, now that you bring it up.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

cabfrank wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:45 am
I wonder why the Manix doesn't offer teeth, now that you bring it up.
Same here.
Should be one of the comparably easier things to do concerning variants - ?!

(Edited for spelling)
Last edited by Wartstein on Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

SpyderForLyfe wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:58 am

Personally (and I know this is a huge pipe dream) I'd love to see SE and combo options on all of their models.

This. Though for me much more true for SE than for CE.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
vivi

Post by vivi »

The XL is an odd one, that's for sure.

Been in the line-up for what, 12 years or so? Never seems to be in danger of being cut. But barely gets any sprints or exclusives.

Never could figure that one out.

Excited to pocket one when I get home. I've been seeing them all over the place the past two weeks and it's made me miss carrying one.
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

vivi wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:04 am

Been in the line-up for what, 12 years or so? Never seems to be in danger of being cut. But barely gets any sprints or exclusives.

Excited to pocket one when I get home. I've been seeing them all over the place the past two weeks and it's made me miss carrying one.
They should give it more love the XL is amazing! They need sprint runs please Sal if you are listening please give us another sprint of he XL. :smlling-eyes
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

apollo wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:55 am
vivi wrote:
They should give it more love the XL is amazing! They need sprint runs please Sal if you are listening please give us another sprint of he XL. :smlling-eyes

I know this is definitely NOT what you want ;)... but I´d love to see an LW version of the XL, made just the Manix 2 LW...
apollo

Post by apollo »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:35 am
apollo wrote:
vivi wrote:

I know this is definitely NOT what you want ;)... but I´d love to see an LW version of the XL, made just the Manix 2 LW...
Am i that obvious already? :cheap-sunglasses I fear Sal will never give me what i really want… But i do hope for you that you get what you want. Do not get me wrong i do not really have anything against the Lw’s i just also want the heavyweights at the same time so there is a choice for everyone. :cheap-sunglasses
TheGiant80

Post by TheGiant80 »

vivi wrote:

How's the grip room on the XL? I've wanted to try one for years now but the curves of the handle suggest it might be too tight for the large-handed. (Also I received my Aqua Salt SE and you're right.....it rules!)
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

How much do aftermarket providers charge to add serrations to a PE blade? They can’t use a shaped wheel like in the factory because each edge is a unique length and profile. Is it a manually guided process?
vivi

Post by vivi »

TheGiant80 wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:50 pm
vivi wrote:

How's the grip room on the XL? I've wanted to try one for years now but the curves of the handle suggest it might be too tight for the large-handed. (Also I received my Aqua Salt SE and you're right.....it rules!)
It's smaller than a lot of comparably sized knives. It sacrifices overall grip size for grip security.

for me the aqua salt handle has just a hair of extra room bare handed, and feels perfect with some thinner gloves on. the xl feels perfect bare handed, and a bit snug with thin gloves on.

i could post some grip area comparisons with other knives if you want.
TheGiant80

Post by TheGiant80 »

vivi wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:55 pm
It's smaller than a lot of comparably sized knives. It sacrifices overall grip size for grip security.

for me the aqua salt handle has just a hair of extra room bare handed, and feels perfect with some thinner gloves on. the xl feels perfect bare handed, and a bit snug with thin gloves on.

i could post some grip area comparisons with other knives if you want.
That would be fantastic. I mean, if you have time I'd love to see some comparison photos. Would you start a new thread or send them to me through a private message?

Thanks man, I'm stoked!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

apollo wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:45 am
Wartstein wrote:
apollo wrote:
vivi wrote:

Am i that obvious already? :cheap-sunglasses I fear Sal will never give me what i really want… But i do hope for you that you get what you want. Do not get me wrong i do not really have anything against the Lw’s i just also want the heavyweights at the same time so there is a choice for everyone. :cheap-sunglasses

Wise words! :smlling-eyes
apollo

Post by apollo »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:17 am
apollo wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:45 am
Wartstein wrote:
apollo wrote:

Wise words! :smlling-eyes
Thx. I love this forum and like every member in it. We all have our wishes and we should all get them if spyderco could make it. I fear mine is on the smaller chances side of that list. But hey if they can rebuild the ayoob why not the Original Manix… regrettably all the fuss about those serrations currently on that one does not help my case since i fear Sal is getting tired and stressed out of making older stuff again.
Then again maybe the lighter Sprint run for the Manix XL request has a better shot now since it does not cost them more work then just finding some steel and some other collored g10. :cheap-sunglasses