Would a CruWear Pm2 Blade….?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Foehammer

Would a CruWear Pm2 Blade….?

Post by Foehammer »

Sorry for clickbaity title. Would a CruWear blade fit in a standard pm2? AFAIK it’s just the liners and scales that are different, correct?
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

~Joe

MNOSD member #0045
JRinFL

Re: Would a CruWear Pm2 Blade….?

Post by JRinFL »

There were prior Cruwear PM2 knives with G10 scales released prior to the Crucarta model. Might be better to seek one of those or maybe post on the Exchange for a trade?
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

Yes.
Mine turned out excellent.
Though, your mileage may very.

•• Beau
Foehammer

Post by Foehammer »

JRinFL wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:58 pm
There were prior Cruwear PM2 knives with G10 scales released prior to the Crucarta model. Might be better to seek one of those or maybe post on the Exchange for a trade?

Hmm maybe. Just not sure if CruWear is that much better than, say, m390 or s30v.

~Joe

MNOSD member #0045
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Foehammer wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:23 pm
JRinFL wrote:

Hmm maybe. Just not sure if CruWear is that much better than, say, m390 or s30v.
IMO they're all good just different. Honestly, I like them all. I'm curious why you asked about Cruwear if you're not sure it's any better that the stainless steels you mentioned? If it's about the Micarta model, you can get Micarta PM2 scales for a regular PM2 if that's what you're looking for
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Foehammer

Post by Foehammer »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:11 pm
Foehammer wrote:
JRinFL wrote:

IMO they're all good just different. Honestly, I like them all. I'm curious why you asked about Cruwear if you're not sure it's any better that the stainless steels you mentioned? If it's about the Micarta model, you can get Micarta PM2 scales for a regular PM2 if that's what you're looking for
Well, it’s one of the only sprint run pm2s I can find in Canada atm, and I really want to try out different steels in a platform I absolutely love. I heard somewhere that CruWear had slightly better edge retention and better toughness than s30v, along with worse corrosion resistance. I don’t have a lot of experience with a lot of steels, which is why I want to familiarize myself with them. Thanks!

~Joe

MNOSD member #0045
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Foehammer wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:39 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:11 pm
Foehammer wrote:
JRinFL wrote:

Well, it’s one of the only sprint run pm2s I can find in Canada atm, and I really want to try out different steels in a platform I absolutely love. I heard somewhere that CruWear had slightly better edge retention and better toughness than s30v, along with worse corrosion resistance. I don’t have a lot of experience with a lot of steels, which is why I want to familiarize myself with them. Thanks!
I didn't realize your in Canada. I haven't found a noticeable difference in edge retention between Cruwear and S30V. If anything I think S30V has a little better edge retention but I'm no authority. I basically use them until I feel like it's time to touch up the edge and start using them again. I think you'll also find that Cruwear is pretty good on corrosion resistance too. The one thing that I really like about Cruwear is how easily it gets that sticky sharp feeling. I get that with S30V and M390 too but it takes a little more work

I'm sure you'll enjoy whatever you end up with!
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
metaphoricalsimile

Post by metaphoricalsimile »

Foehammer wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:39 pm

Cruwear has *way* better toughness, slightly less wear resistance, and better hardness than S30v, at the cost of stainlessness.

What this means is that at the same edge angle a Cruwear edge will last slightly less long, but will be significantly more resistant to chips and rolls.

It also means that you should be able to sharpen cruwear to a significantly lower bevel angle which will allow the edge to last *longer* than S30v, while also maintaining similar or better resistance to chips and rolls. The cost of this performance difference is that cruwear is less stain resistant.
Manifestgtr

Post by Manifestgtr »

Foehammer wrote:
😱

But seriously…Cruwear is preferred by certain people (including me) for its ridiculous sharpenability, tool steel edge stability, toughness and ease of maintenance. It’s not that it’s objectively “better”…it just has certain properties that gained it such a loyal following.

I like m390 and s30v but they’re just so different. If stainlessness is a top priority, they’ll beat out Cruwear all day but that’s another story.
Crucarta: Shaman (x2), Manix 2, Lil Native, Delica, GB2 & PM2
Notable: 52100 and Cruwear Millie. “15v-arta” Shaman. REC Manix. K-carta Endura, P4, Dragonfly and Delica.
Favorites: Shaman, Sage 5 lightweight, Sheeps Caribbean, Manix, Endela and all things Stretch
Foehammer

Post by Foehammer »

You guys are the best! Or the worst, cause I’m getting that crucarta Pm2. Thanks a lot 😉

~Joe

MNOSD member #0045
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

It's also not a sprint run
Foehammer

Post by Foehammer »

GarageBoy wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:49 am
It's also not a sprint run
Hmm interesting, I did not know that.

~Joe

MNOSD member #0045