The Vivi Conundrum.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TheGiant80

The Vivi Conundrum.

Post by TheGiant80 »

It's fair to say Vivi is a fan of salt knives (as am I). I've seen him discuss the potential for a salty Military model as well as a salt Stretch 2 XL. Both would be great options and since I'm a fan of the hypothetical I submit to you forum users, if you had to choose for just one of these to get made, which would it be? And just for fun let's say it MUST be fully serrated.

Salt Millie or S2XL? Which steel and grind would you like? Handle scale material and colour? Any other details worth discussing?

I look forward to your responses!
Coastal

Re: The Vivi Conundrum.

Post by Coastal »

Hi-polish MagnaCut Stretch 2 XL FFG with yellow FRN scales, linerless.
Last edited by Coastal on Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Kinda hard to say until I get a Military 2 in my hands. If you mean a Military 1 then that would be my pick, especially if they kept it in the minimal-liner G10 format.

But also to sound like a broken record I'd still take a Caribbean over all three.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I’d rather have the Millie 1. I don’t want a choil at all, just get the edge back to my hand and we’re good.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Hard for me to say. I'd like to see both, and the M2 would have to be in G10.

The S2XL seems ready-made for a Salt version; it is already linerless, so all they would need to do is change the FRN color and blade steel (Magnacut, please). I wouldn't mind seeing one in blue FRN. I normally prefer black FRN, but the original is already in black FRN, so another color is necessary to differentiate a Salt version.

And either one in Magnacut, with black-coated screws, locking liner/lock bar, stop pin (M2), etc.

Jim
Last edited by James Y on Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

That is quite a conundrum. I'd have to see the weight of the Millie, and the serrations on both. Right now, I'd lean towards the Stretch, especially given the likely difference in cost.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Neither. Linerless FRN Caribbean in MagnaCut with leaf blade. Still Salty. Correction, partial liner for compression lock.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

s2xl salt! hollow ground h1 se and flat ground magnacut pe, both all black.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Seki knives are my #1 love so a blacked out Stretch 2 XL Salt in H1 SE all the way!

But I would 100% buy a Military Salt as well, especially in blacked out H1 SE as the Millie is my favorite Golden model.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

This is tough. I love the overall design of the Millie 1, but I like the lock on the SXL. Hmmm. :thinking
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I think that the Stretch XL in Magnacut would be the better Salt.

I’d rather have a Millie 2 Magnacut come with factory Micarta. ;-)
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

ladybug93 wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:42 pm
s2xl salt! hollow ground h1 se and flat ground magnacut pe, both all black.
+1!
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Very hypothetical, as I’ve tried neither of the base models.. then again, that’s pretty much the case with any knife acquisition.

For my intended use, the specs clearly favors the S2XL.
I would probably own it already if it was available in a Salt version. I don’t think that would be the case with the Military.

Weight is more important to me, than the difference in properties between H1/H2 and LC200N, so I’ll go with a yell….green handled FFG LC200N. Until Magnacut becomes an option for Seki knives, that is. Yellow handled FFG MC would get my money if it was an option.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Easy one for me. I would prefer a Stretch XL Salt.

The backlock is a proven design in rust proof folders. I have had a number of issues with compression lock Salts that never occurred with backlocks. Compression locks are also more “fiddley” when closing which is not what I’m looking for in a marine environment with wet hands. On top of that, even though I begged for years for a Military Salt, I think i actually prefer most everything in the new Stretch XL over the Military. Same blade, less handle. Ergos are as good or better for me. I prefer FRN handle on Salts, and I’m just a backlock guy in general.

As far as what steels? I’d like to see a Magnacut pe version and a serrated version in H1. Though I appreciate the extra edge retention of lc200n (and especially Magnacut) in plain edge, there is still NOTHING that compare to H1 in overall corrosion resistance. Given H1’s excellent performance in SE, It only makes sense to keep making the serrated Salt knives in H1 IMHO.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Surfingringo wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:02 am
Easy one for me. I would prefer a Stretch XL Salt.

The backlock is a proven design in rust proof folders. I have had a number of issues with compression lock Salts that never occurred with backlocks. Compression locks are also more “fiddley” when closing which is not what I’m looking for in a marine environment with wet hands. On top of that, even though I begged for years for a Military Salt, I think i actually prefer most everything in the new Stretch XL over the Military. Same blade, less handle. Ergos are as good or better for me. I prefer FRN handle on Salts, and I’m just a backlock guy in general.

As far as what steels? I’d like to see a Magnacut pe version and a serrated version in H1. Though I appreciate the extra edge retention of lc200n (and especially Magnacut) in plain edge, there is still NOTHING that compare to H1 in overall corrosion resistance. Given H1’s excellent performance in SE, It only makes sense to keep making the serrated Salt knives in H1 IMHO.
This^^. Backlock is the way and SE H1 is the premier ocean steel
Urkilnmesmalls

Post by Urkilnmesmalls »

I would favor the military 2 cause I am a compression lock type of dude. That said, I would probably take either in magnacut. I have been waiting for something to catch my eye in this steel and I like the design of both of these knives enough that either would probably take my money. A magnacut PE kapara is my ultimate grail though
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

The difficulty I have with this choice is that the Military Model, which I would prefer, needs liners and would be challenging to retrofit (the Caribbean’s liners were Salt-ready at inception).

The Military2 may not need liners, in the same way the Manix2 mid-lock did not, but the Military2 has yet to appear.

Hence, the Stretch2 XL seems the quickest, most practical choice for a Salt with an already-unlined Giant-appropriate handle.

Lance’s tests have me pretty much convinced me that a Magnacut Stretch2 XL would be the next big thing in Salts. Now, if my concerns about my S2XL’s pivot would just calm down…
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
James Y

Post by James Y »

On second thought (compared to my first response in this thread), I would take a Stretch 2 XL Salt over a Military 2 Salt. It would probably be well less than half the cost; and if I were going into the water with it, I definitely prefer a back lock over a compression lock.

Jim
cjk

Post by cjk »

Stretch 2 XL Salt. It's already unlined.
vivi

Post by vivi »

TheGiant80 wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:00 pm
It's fair to say Vivi is a fan of salt knives (as am I). I've seen him discuss the potential for a salty Military model as well as a salt Stretch 2 XL. Both would be great options and since I'm a fan of the hypothetical I submit to you forum users, if you had to choose for just one of these to get made, which would it be? And just for fun let's say it MUST be fully serrated.

Salt Millie or S2XL? Which steel and grind would you like? Handle scale material and colour? Any other details worth discussing?

I look forward to your responses!
Must be serrated? I'd stick with the Pacific.

Between the two I'd rather have a Military Salt.

My history with Spyderco folders has been: Do I carry a Pacific Salt? Or do I carry a larger design I prefer that can rust?

The Endura handle is not my favorite. Never has been, never will. It isn't bad by any means, I quite like both gen 3 and gen 4 Endura handles, but there are a lot of knives Spyderco makes that feel better in my grip.

The Endura / Pacific is also the smallest knife in my rotation. I prefer Military / Police / Resilience sized folders.

Taking things further, while I adore the linerless lightweight construction, there is no argument that linered G10 or Micarta scaled knives have a much more premium feel.

I love the Stretch XL. I love its weight to size ratio. But we already have full sized, sub 3oz salt folders in the LC Pacific. The Stretch XL Salt would offer a bit more edge and slightly better ergonomics, but otherwise would be very similar to current offerings.

What I want is to no longer have to decide between carrying a rust proof knife, and carrying a larger, more premium feeling knife that can rust.

For that reason I push for a Military, Police, Native Chief or Manix XL Salt.

I know it would be expensive, especially with liners. But if the Caribbean can be made, I would imagine a Military 2 Salt could be made.

I want a premium feeling full sized knife that's rust proof. Not either or.

Give me a yellow Military Salt 2 with a stiff detent like the Yojumbo, in H1 with a high hollow or Magnacut / LC200N FFG. I'll dye it green like my Pacific Salt 2 and carry it every day.
:unicorn