Official Serration Pattern Thread

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Official Serration Pattern Thread

Post by JD Spydo »

There has been some chit-chat lately about different serration patterns and the advantages of different types of serration patterns. I noticed it quite a long time ago when I obtained my full SE, AUS-8 Catcherman which has a distinctly different pattern. I've also noticed the profound differences in serration patterns using some of the nice German culinary knives I bought a while back at some of the local thrift stores. The J. A. Henckels, Messermeister, and Wustof all have nice serration patterns but all have their distinct differences>> and those patterns are designed for food uses.

Evil D has pointed out that his Caribbean model that he has done some modifications to has an increased level of performance for instance. I've also seen a huge difference in many culinary Bread knives made by several of the more popular culinary knife producers ( mostly German made).

But please do understand that this is not at all being critical of Spyderco's great serration patterns that we have used for years. But rather for us to take a hard look at the advantages and disadvantages of certain types of serration patterns.

For years now I've seen that many of the more rounded/wavy type of serration patterns have worked better for me for a wide range of uses. But I've also seen some advantages in Spyderco's really spikey type patterns on several of their Japan made models ( especially for rope & cordage). So let's have a discussion about serration patterns and the possibilities of improvements on certain models.
zuludelta

Re: Official Serration Pattern Thread

Post by zuludelta »

I like the spiky serrations because they are—as you correctly pointed out—great for cutting rope & cordage, which is precisely the reason why I carry a small, serrated back-up folder at work. Even my most keen plain edge knives will occasionally skate off a heavy duty polypropylene pallet strap, even on a pull cut, and that can be dangerous. Those pointy tips are great for holding on to the material. But yeah, they can get a bit too snaggy for more general cutting uses.

Rounding off the serrations at the production level will probably make a Spyder Edge model a more viable "only one knife" option out-of-the-box, based on the positive experiences posted in this forum regarding rounded off serrations. I don't know what proportion of the market uses serrated knives primarily as specialty tools for cutting rope, cordage, & netting, though. Such a change will probably produce little improvement (or possibly even a reduction?) in performance in that type of cutting task.

All this makes me wonder if an undulating serration pattern similar to a modified kris might have potential as a general purpose blade edge.

Imagine a serrated knife (asymmetrically ground, of course, like a normal serrated edge) with a conventional flat or curved spine but with a really tight kris edge (think of the edge as a wave function with a much higher frequency, perhaps triple or quadruple what one normally sees in a kris). Would probably make for an interesting experiment at the very least for those with the skills and resources to mock one up.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I have never used a serrated knife I like anywhere near as much as the current Spyderedges. I suppose I have to wait until mine get rounded off a little to see if I like them even better.
James Y

Post by James Y »

I like the SE as it is on my Endela. Out of the box, the teeth are not spiky at all, and the grooves aren’t too deep. The teeth aren’t rounded, but they’re fairly gentle, and I can see them becoming more rounded with use and after a couple/few sharpenings. I like it probably the most of any Spyderco SE grind.

Jim
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

zuludelta wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:44 am
I like the spiky serrations because they are—as you correctly pointed out—great for cutting rope & cordage, which is precisely the reason why I carry a small, serrated back-up folder at work. Even my most keen plain edge knives will occasionally skate off a heavy duty polypropylene pallet strap, even on a pull cut, and that can be dangerous. Those pointy tips are great for holding on to the material. But yeah, they can get a bit too snaggy for more general cutting uses.

Rounding off the serrations at the production level will probably make a Spyder Edge model a more viable "only one knife" option out-of-the-box, based on the positive experiences posted in this forum regarding rounded off serrations.

All this makes me wonder if an undulating serration pattern similar to a modified kris might have potential as a general purpose blade edge.
You do make some excellent points. Because the Spikey type serrations do indeed have their place and I would not want them eliminated by any means.

Interesting observation about the KRIS model>> I've been saying for at least 5 years now that if Spyderco would do one or two of their "recurve" models in full SE it would change that market completely. I do believe it would improve the performance of Recurve blades to where they would have trouble keeping them in stock.

Also cutting materials like polypropylene, nylon and many other polymer materials with Spikey Spyderco serrations is almost completely fun they work so well. But I will stand on one issue>> when it comes to food prep jobs the rounded/wavy type of serrations have much better overall control. But I do like your observations and I hope many more SE fans do chime in.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

The Byrd hawkbill serrations are FANTASTIC.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
JMM

Post by JMM »

This isn't a super awesome pic of most of my serrated knives (zooming is helpful) -- I'm in a bit of a hurry, but I've definitely found the comments about the 'spikey' serrations to be very true for me when it comes to things like rope, straps, mule tape, etc. My favourites from the ones shown in the picture below would be the PM2/Para3, Police3, Wharnie Delica, and all members of the Matriarch family (pe included). The Police3 and the Lil' Mariarch get the most pocket time anymore, although the Shaman is an absolute beast. FFG seems to be better than anything else when it comes to my tasks. I will type up a couple comments later this evening, gotta run...

Cheers,

John
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Today I discovered that there are bread knives that show the different mountain ridges of the Swiss Alps. I simply must demand a sprint run of this idea, and I was thinking maybe the Rocky Mountains since Spyderco are in Colorado.

🤣

If they didn't cost $95 I would order one just so I can see how that feels on a Sharpmaker.
Last edited by Evil D on Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:30 am
Today I discovered that there are bread knives that show the difference mountain ridges of the Swiss Alps. I simply must demand a sprint run of this idea, and I was thinking maybe the Rocky Mountains since Spyderco are in Colorado.

If they didn't cost $95 I would order one just so I can see how that feels on a Sharpmaker.
I must say that this is the first time I've ever seen this type of serration pattern on those bread knives you've shown us. It would be nice to chat with the designer of that pattern to see what they might have had in mind for such a design.

And I doubt if that pattern would or could work on anything other than a soft item like Bread. I'm fairly certain that's all they might be good for.

I have 3 different bread knives from 3 different manufacturers and I've never encountered anything like what you've displayed.

I would not want that design on a folder>> or even a fixed blade either for that matter. But that is really different and I would like to know the idea behind it.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I fear that I may not have laid the sarcasm on quite thick enough in that post. No, I don't actually want that. It probably would be a pretty cool collector's knife though, maybe that Colorado flag Para 2 with a Rocky Mountain serration pattern.
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:58 am
I fear that I may not have laid the sarcasm on quite thick enough in that post. No, I don't actually want that. It probably would be a pretty cool collector's knife though, maybe that Colorado flag Para 2 with a Rocky Mountain serration pattern.
Who is the manufacturer of that radical serration design? I would love to e-mail them to see how they would comment on those particular serration patterns.

I have seen some strange serration patterns especially on some of the Japanese made culinary knives but I've never seen anything even remotely close to that pattern.
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

The serrations are cut to match the mountain range... that's hilarious! Gimmicky, but It would be an awesome souvenir if I visited the Mount Pilatus.
•• Beau
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:56 am
Evil D wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:30 am
Today I discovered that there are bread knives that show the difference mountain ridges of the Swiss Alps. I simply must demand a sprint run of this idea, and I was thinking maybe the Rocky Mountains since Spyderco are in Colorado.

I must say that this is the first time I've ever seen this type of serration pattern on those bread knives you've shown us. It would be nice to chat with the designer of that pattern to see what they might have had in mind for such a design.

And I doubt if that pattern would or could work on anything other than a soft item like Bread. I'm fairly certain that's all they might be good for.

I have 3 different bread knives from 3 different manufacturers and I've never encountered anything like what you've displayed.

I would not want that design on a folder>> or even a fixed blade either for that matter. But that is really different and I would like to know the idea behind it.

https://www.panoramaknife.ch/en/produkt ... ead-knife/

Not clear if they make it or just sell it.
~David
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I wonder which mountain range would make the best serration pattern? :grin-squint

On a serious note, it’s a definitely a cool souvenir idea.
-Nick :bug-red
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I think the Great Smokey Mountains would make the best serration pattern.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
James Y

Post by James Y »

Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:27 am
I think the Great Smokey Mountains would make the best serration pattern.

Check out Montserrat ("Serrated Mountain").

Jim
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I checked out the site for "panoramaknife" and they claim to be a Swiss company. Not sure if the knives are actually Swiss made or not. But I sent them an e-mail asking those questions and I'll let you all know as soon as I hear something.

There is one other job that serration pattern could be conceivably good for; and that would be for cutting rope and/or cordage. I can see how it would also be extremely aggressive for that type of a cutting job.

I've seen gimmicks and strange marketing strategies before but that serration pattern is just outright weird. Yeah I realize they did it to replicate a mountainous area but still that is just really weird.
Brotherscinc0

Post by Brotherscinc0 »

Just saying, the serrations on the 111mm Swiss Army knives work extremely well. They slice like a mofo and that Victorinox steel touches up so nicely. You really gotta try a Swiss soldier knife if you haven't already

With that said I love my combo edge endura and I have the SE K390 on the way so we will see how I like that one
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Yeah, the serration Victorinox uses are pretty good. That's kind of what I meant by the Smokey Mountains. They are high but not as high as the Rockies and they are rounded off.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:26 pm
Yeah, the serration Victorinox uses are pretty good. That's kind of what I meant by the Smokey Mountains. They are high but not as high as the Rockies and they are rounded off.
I'm not going to disagree with that. The serrations on Victorinox SAKs are kind of small and rather simple looking but they do quite well in spite of it. On my Victorinox Swiss Tool model multi-tool that serrated blade is really nice. The serrations aren't as "spikey" as those on most Spyderco models but for a simple serration pattern they perform surprisingly well.