My new Q from yablanowitz!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JestersHK

My new Q from yablanowitz!

Post by JestersHK »

I was gifted a HK Q from yablanowitz after my post regarding my factory outlet visit. At first I though he had one for sale which was awesome as I've followed a few on ebay and have reservations buying from there. Instead he simply asked that I send him a coin, any coin, and remember to pay it forward and do something kind for someone...

I will definitely do both and hope to be an example such as him. A truly generous offering to literally an internet stranger.

Thank you again sir, you brightened my day heck my whole week as I dug my new Q from its packaging this morning. I will give it a great forever home, and I think my oldest will end up with it when time comes as she already asked if she could have dibs on it.

Out of all the HK branded knives I always thought the Q series was the coolest. The Benchmade had some cool ones with the same grip textures as the pistols, but that blade cut out on the Q always won me over.

Going to work on a stand or shadow box for it so it can hang out in my office. Such a cool knife, I'm still giddy this morning.
Attachments
Resized_Resized_20220807_114521.jpeg
sal

Re: My new Q from yablanowitz!

Post by sal »

Very cool Jack. It is truly a pleasure to have you be part of this group.

sal
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Warms my little grinch heart to see such generosity. Enjoy it always in good health!
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I learned from the best, Sal.

The coin thing is an old tradition/superstition that a knife should never be given as a gift lest the edge sever a friendship. The coin is a symbolic purchase. You don't see it as much here, but I'll bet some of our European brethern could tell you more.

Glad it has found a good home, the poor thing has been languishing in a box for years.
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

:cheap-sunglasses
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Hats off to you Yab ! Great gesture and I also have done the coin exchange myself great tradition .I think the Q has found a good home ! MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

You people are awesome!
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

yablanowitz wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:22 pm

The coin thing is an old tradition/superstition that a knife should never be given as a gift lest the edge sever a friendship. The coin is a symbolic purchase. You don't see it as much here, but I'll bet some of our European brethern could tell you more.

Glad it has found a good home, the poor thing has been languishing in a box for years.
I know of the coin tradition.

Very generous giveaway!
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
bobnikon

Post by bobnikon »

yablanowitz wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:22 pm

Whenever I give someone a knife I give them a penny as well.

One of the knife companies used to have a penny in the package way back (maybe it was a special edition, but I remember seeing it). I always thought that was a neat idea. Lets the recipient give them the coin to the person who gave it to them and carries on the tradition.

Even more special when they give you a coin with some significance. I have had a couple pocket the penny and one gave me a challenge coin and the other a silver dollar a short while later. That was neat.

Love seeing old traditions carry on.
Cheers
Erik
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I also observe the coin tradition, but I can’t say I’m this generous. Nice move Yab!
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Nice! The Q is the only knife I’ve ever lost- my girlfriend claimed it and lost it in the restaurant dining room where we both worked 😔
benben

Post by benben »

Awesome gesture Yab! Tell him he can repay the kind gesture with an actual HK pistol! ;) A P30L V1 will do nicely, sure to bring a smile to your face!

There’s just something about giving a super nice gift away to brighten someone’s day that money can’t touch! Love a good “make me smile” post!