Military 2 Discussion (Merged)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
James Y

Re: Military 2 Discussion (Merged)

Post by James Y »

Bloke wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:54 pm
James Y wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:21 pm
Come on, guys! Let's all gather 'round the fire, whittle some marshmallow sticks with our Militaries and PM 2s, and sing 'Kumbaya'!

🙂

Jim

That’s plain stupid, Jim!

What we really need is more quoting because everyone likes to read walls of text five, six, ten times over and if we quote enough we’ll go into many more pages so if anyone hasn’t already read this wreck at first glance they’ll thing they’ll be educated by a comprehensive and informative thread.

Anyhow, I’m still waiting on further clarification because everyone should be perfectly clear on what everyone else thinks on such important issues as naming, looks and origin of new knives. :cheap-sunglasses

😅

Jim
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

JRinFL wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:51 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:24 am
I am highly interested to actually get this knife in hand and make up my own mind. Aside from the choil, I think I'm going to like it, personally. The choil I can fix. I can't wait til I can see it for myself. Then, I'll know. It won't matter two hoots and a holler what people say, because I'll have actually held it and used it to form my opinions. This is epic.

I'm genuinely curious how you will fix the choil?
Well, I think I can file down that hated point and get it to where it is more comfortable for me. I like the choil on the Military, but not the one on the Paramilitary. I prefer the more rounded, unobtrusive manner in which the Millie's choil is formed. Wider is okay. So, I'm hoping I can take it down and round it off.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
vivi

Post by vivi »

Doc, how does the choil interfere with your grip? really wide fingers?

I've always liked the deeper choils and never ran into problems with the point, so I'm having trouble visualizing the issue.

I never put my finger by the 2, only the 1. so the 2 area is wasted space. the pointy pm2 style choil puts more space where I use it, which is why I prefer it.

as is the millies choil works for me, but it feels shallow and small compared to the pm2 choil. this is one of those things where I know for my grip it will be an upgrade without needing to handle it first.
:unicorn
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:22 pm
JRinFL wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:51 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:24 am
Well, I think I can file down that hated point and get it to where it is ....
vivi wrote: Doc, how does the choil interfere with your grip? really wide fingers?
as is the millies choil works for me, but it feels shallow and small compared to the pm2 choil. ...
The different "choil shape preferences" are quite interesting.

I am pretty sure a majority of people prefer deeper (and wider) choils just like you do, Vivi.

For me though (not particularly wide fingers, but not small hands either - just "regular" for an almost 6.2" male who uses his hands for climbing and some physical work) a shallow, shorter choil just works better, though it does not necessarily FEEL better when just holding a knife.
But in real use the shallow, short Millie choil gives me more control than the deeper PM2 choil. Like more support for the index finger, which is closest to the edge.

I think aside from the great linerlock and the typical "Millie-ergos" I would miss the Millie 1 choil the most out if the "pm2-ish" changes made.

But as said: I am most likely in a minority here, since I also prefer choking up on an Endura ricasso over many dedicated choils.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:06 am
almost 6.2" male who uses his hands for climbing
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Bloke wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:49 am
Wartstein wrote:
I.Knew.It. :squinting-tongue :')
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

vivi wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:45 am

I've always liked the deeper choils and never ran into problems with the point, so I'm having trouble visualizing the issue.

I never put my finger by the 2, only the 1. so the 2 area is wasted space. the pointy pm2 style choil puts more space where I use it, which is why I prefer it.

as is the millies choil works for me, but it feels shallow and small compared to the pm2 choil. this is one of those things where I know for my grip it will be an upgrade without needing to handle it first.
Hi Vivi. #2 on your photo is where I have the most trouble because though my hands are not long fingered, my fingers are wide and thickly muscled. Think baseball mitt. The way the choil is designed on the PM2 and N5, for example, just irritate me and get in my way. The way the choil is low and rounded on the Millie is quite nice for me. I have the same problem with the hook on the back of the Manix XL on my little finger. I wear a 2XL (sometimes a 1XL, but usually 2XL) glove. If made in China I wear an even larger glove. Sometimes my fingers don't go all the way to the end but to get my big hand in that is what I have to go with. My palm is wide, too... like a baseball mitt.

A funny story: When we were engaged and about to be married, I bought my wife's wedding ring and she bought mine. The jeweler asked her if she were marrying King Kong! Hahahaha!
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Bloke wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:49 am
Wartstein wrote:
Hahaha! You beat me to it!

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

vivi wrote:

I actually use the #2 spot in a hammer grip as well as some other times just grabbing the knife. I like knife handles that don’t tell my hand where to go so I can hold them as I please.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

prndltech wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:52 pm
vivi wrote:
I actually use the #2 spot in a hammer grip as well as some other times just grabbing the knife. I like knife handles that don’t tell my hand where to go so I can hold them as I please.

Good point!

Normally a choil is shaped so that it has a rather "pointy" rear guard in the handle - so pointy, that it is not comfortable to put a finger right ON that rear guard (so slightly behind the choil). Not so the Millie: HAS a choil, but created in a way that there is no "point" behind it.

Also, just in my use: In a hammer grip (and I use a "modified hammer grip" with the thumb on the side of the blade all the time) it gives more control if the index finger is NOT in a recess (like it is in a deeper choil). The Millie 1 offers just this, but not so the Millie 2 (another example for why very much depending on personal use and on what a individual people emphasize the new one can be either perceived more as a "Millie" or more as a "PM4").
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:31 pm
I use a "modified hammer grip"
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Bloke wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:24 am
Wartstein wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:31 pm
I use a "modified hammer grip"

This must be the quickest two-getting-bloked-in-a-row ever!!! Just five posts in between (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=92673&start=300#p1638819) :grin-sweat

You are too kind, my friend! :smiling-cheeks
brj

Post by brj »

I have also developed a heavy dislike towards Spyderco's decision to include the 'pointy choil' on almost everything, I have this vivid picture in my head, with the Spyderco 'choil committee" :winking-tongue perusing the catalog item by item and going like:

It's not only I'd rather have an agnostic-grip handle and hold it anyway I might like (as stated above), although that plays a part. It's more like, Spyderco used to have options (Delica has no choil but a lot of people can use the ricasso, Snap-it has some sort of lightly-formed choil that I am actually enjoying, etc), spice of life and all that, whereas now they feel their current solution is so good, it fits everyone and it deserves to be on almost any model. Dunno, to me this sounds a bit self-sufficient and contrary to the CQI line of thinking.

No big deal either, I'm extremely happy with the Spydercos I currently own and if this move is great for the company overall, their revenue and market share and customer base and all that, more power to them. I just know the 'pointy choil' models are not for me and refrain from buying them.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I am a right hand tip down kind of guy and I think the choil on the original Military is the best one on any Spydie. I like the comp lock but don’t think it is the greatest lock ever. Full liners add nothing for me personally. I see nothing about this knife that is an improvement. I’ll buy it and try it though.

There were talks about it having a stop lock but that didn’t happen. In the end they made a logical business decision which is to ride the coat tales of the wildly popular Para2. It is what it is.

This thread is a disaster, I want ten minutes of my life back. Also, I’m gonna call it the Para4. ;)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
horzuff

Post by horzuff »

Still hoping that, despite all the noise, someone notices the questions about a release date and answers those :no-mouth
attila

Post by attila »

All I’m wondering is whether we’re going to get a Magnacut, Maxamet, 10V, K390, or K490 (super remote possibility/my own fantasy) version of the original Military. I don’t even like linerlocks, but I really enjoy my linerlock Military!
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

horzuff wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:13 am
Still hoping that, despite all the noise, someone notices the questions about a release date and answers those :no-mouth
Nothing has been announced yet. It will probably appear in an upcoming Reveal catalog before we know anything. If we’re lucky it will be in the next one. Products in Reveal catalogs are generally intended to be available for purchase within 90-120 days after the Reveal catalog is released. It’s not always perfect and sometimes there are delays but it’s usually pretty accurate.
-Nick :bug-red
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 5:44 am
.....and I think the choil on the original Military is the best one on any Spydie. ....

I guess that´s what I think too.

But I´ll have to get another Millie (anyway, not just for that purpose... ;) ) and once more compare it to the choils on my Stretch 1s (another favorite choil (and knife...) of mine) in order to make a final decision.
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

I haven't been this excited about a new model in a while. I'm totally spoiled and prefer not to collect the standard S30V/black G10(or VG10/black FRN) configurations of new models and try to wait for a "special steel/color" example. But no matter for the Military 2, will be picking one up asap.
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

All I know is that if they make a REX 45 Millie 2 I'll be all over that, since I was not paying attention to such things when the first Rexy Millie sprint was done.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035