Endela Wharncliffe?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JRinFL

Re: Endela Wharncliffe?

Post by JRinFL »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:30 am
... Actually I do like that this is such a nice surprise and for a change completely different than the usual process of announcment and than eagerly waiting for the release of a knife! :smlling-eyes

(.... but imagine that this would be a sprint or exclusive and sold out before many even ever knew that the model exists... :smirk )
Agreed. We need more happy surprises in life. :bug-red-white
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JRinFL wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:10 am
Wartstein wrote:
... Actually I do like that this is such a nice surprise and for a change completely different than the usual process of announcment and than eagerly waiting for the release of a knife! :smlling-eyes

(.... but imagine that this would be a sprint or exclusive and sold out before many even ever knew that the model exists... :smirk )
Right!! :smlling-eyes
/

.... But even more important: Looking at your signature: What does one have to do to become a member of the "Most nobel order of the sock drawer"?!
As you might know from the pics I post:
My Spydies pretty much never leave the drawer (I am afraid direct light could alter the color of the scales or - let alone! - one could even come open and the cutting egde come in contact with whatever matter! :astonished )
And my worst night mares are about having to carry (or even use!!) one in the open air :anguished

Does that help in qualifying me for the order? .
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

I happen to like surprises myself, so I certainly don’t have any issue with this way of doing things!
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
elena86

Post by elena86 »

My SE Rockjumper is all I need. Better ergos and no ricasso. That being said I like the classic(leaf) Endela but the wharnie variant is redundant IMO.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

elena86 wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:28 pm
My SE Rockjumper is all I need. Better ergos and no ricasso. That being said I like the classic(leaf) Endela but the wharnie variant is redundant IMO.

Two different knives really. The handle is different, the Endela has jimping and a Boye dent, and as you said it has the larger ricasso, which I subconsciously use every time I close my Endelas/Enduras/Delicas. So not redundant at all in my opinion. I have zero interest in the Rockjumper, but I will get the Endela Wharnie as soon as DLT gets them in stock.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:34 am
JRinFL wrote:
Wartstein wrote:

/

.... But even more important: Looking at your signature: What does one have to do to become a member of the "Most nobel order of the sock drawer"?!
My Spydies pretty much never leave the drawer (I am afraid direct light could alter the color of the scales or - let alone! - one could even come open and the cutting egde come in contact with whatever matter! :astonished )
And my worst night mares are about having to carry (or even use!!) one in the open air :anguished

Despite being a Nobel Order, the MNOotSD is open to all. I believe you are member 0004. Welcome! I'm astonished at how compliant you already are with our rules. ;)
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Nice knife, good to see more Endela's any which way! :)
Probably not for me because my Rock Jumper will do what I need this size Wharncliffe for but if I ever need a new serrated Wharncliffe this'll probably be it.
(my main use Wharncliffe is my Salt2 in LC200N)
Btw, haven't been here much for awhile but are there already discussions about an LC200N Salt version of the Endela? :smiling-heart-eyes
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

steelcity16 wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:38 pm
elena86 wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:28 pm

Two different knives really. The handle is different, the Endela has jimping and a Boye dent, and as you said it has the larger ricasso, which I subconsciously use every time I close my Endelas/Enduras/Delicas. So not redundant at all in my opinion. I have zero interest in the Rockjumper, but I will get the Endela Wharnie as soon as DLT gets them in stock.
I may just be succumbing to my semantic urges again, so please forgive me, but it’s not really that the Rockjumper has any less of a ricasso. It’s just hidden by stretching the handle scales forward so that you can have a sturdy grip right up to the edge without needing to choke up unto an exposed ricasso or choil or risk snagging.

You still close the Rockjumper in exactly the same way as an Endela.

The combination of those two characters is pretty much the point of the Rockjumper’s design and what, in my opinion, makes it uniquely functional.

But with that, I agree, those two knives aren’t all too redundant aside from the similar blade sizes and straight edges. Of course, even the blade spine shapes are subtly different.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

The Wharnie Endela release hopefully will bring on some exclusive models and maybe a K390 . Think I’m going to sit back and be patient. MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

• I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Superflex

Post by Superflex »

Just after I ordered and received my wharnie endura, you drop one in the size I wanted.
Oh well, another one for the sock drawer.
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

Last edited by Buddafucco on Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:23 pm, edited 4 times in total.
•• Beau
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:34 am
JRinFL wrote:
Wartstein wrote:

/

Now we finally know how you keep your tool steel knives from rusting :')
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Should get mine tmrw. I'm hoping it fits in my Boomer52 custom scales.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
ningaloo

Post by ningaloo »

SG89 wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:52 pm
Should get mine tmrw. I'm hoping it fits in my Boomer52 custom scales.

Please let us know...
SG89

Post by SG89 »

looks like spyderco is including a different sticker design than before? Image
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

SG89 wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:52 pm
looks like spyderco is including a different sticker design than before? Image
Sweet Endela!

I checked my last three... SMKW Artic PM2, Crucarta PM2 & BHQ Chief... The stickers all say "Reliable High Performance". Yours is definitely different.
•• Beau
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

Last edited by Buddafucco on Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
•• Beau
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

Last edited by Buddafucco on Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
•• Beau
z1r

Post by z1r »

Great pics RamZar, makes me want to get one. I think I will buy one and try to regrind the blade to a Hawkbill shape!