Any more true MBC knives in the pipeline

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Scandi Grind

Re: Any more true MBC knives in the pipeline

Post by Scandi Grind »

I know this was mentioned way earlier in this thread, but the idea of a Spyderco push dagger really quipped my interest. Sal said it probably wouldn't happen because in many places daggers are illegal, thankfully not where I live, but it really shrinks the market.

But what if it was a single edged blade in a similar format. I think a single edge is more useful for some tasks anyway, while still providing a discrete, effective defensive tool. This is something I would be very interested in.

I would want it in an a relatively affordable affordable steel, not too picky other that that for this type of blade I think it should be stainless. BD1n would be great, but I'm not sure how much it would cost.
"A knifeless man is a lifeless man."

-- Old Norse proverb
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

wrdwrght wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:22 am
I have assumed the LT3 is MBC-rated. Did I miss something?
JRinFL wrote: It was my, possibly mistaken, belief that all Temperance and Lil-Temp knives were MBC knives.
The catalog information for both the LT & LT2 explicitly describes the knives as:
An MBC strength rated, superior materials, ergonomics all in 'Lil' compact package.
The catalog information for the LT3 does not state its MBC rating explicitly, but from discussions with Sal (archived in these very forums if you want to spend the time searching), I know that its design premise is that of an MBC-rated knife suitable for both conventional & pikal grips and one that would be legal to carry in jurisdictions with a 3" blade limit (hence the slightly shorter blade length compared to the LT & LT2).

So yeah, all the LT models are MBC rated.
Scandi Grind

Post by Scandi Grind »

I probably should have asked this before commenting on this thread but, what does MBC stand for?
"A knifeless man is a lifeless man."

-- Old Norse proverb
max808

Post by max808 »

Scandi Grind wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:17 pm
I probably should have asked this before commenting on this thread but, what does MBC stand for?
Martial Blade Concepts is Mike Janich' own self defense discipline with a focus on edged weapons.
MNOSD 0047 - mens sana in corpore sano -
Do more than is required of you . Patton
For man's only weapon is courage that flinches not from the gates of **** itself, and against such not even the legions of **** can stand. Robert E. Howard
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

To be even more precise, the original term was "Martial Blade Craft," and was coined by Sal Glesser. When I taught under Spyderco's auspices from 1999-2004, I taught under the MBC banner and my approach to knife tactics became "known" as MBC. I formed an LLC in Colorado under the name "Martial Blade Craft" in 2003.

While teaching for Spyderco, I had been working for Paladin Press (my real job). When I left Paladin and went to work for BlackHawk, Sal and I agreed that it would be a conflict of interest for me to teach for Spyderco while managing a competing knife company. Since the "MBC" acronym had become well accepted, I changed my expression of it to "Martial Blade Concepts." Spyderco maintained the "Martial Blade Craft" term. My LLC became a d/b/a Martial Blade Concepts as well.

Stay safe,

Mike
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Michael Janich wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:26 pm
To be even more precise, the original term was "Martial Blade Craft," and was coined by Sal Glesser. When I taught under Spyderco's auspices from 1999-2004, I taught under the MBC banner and my approach to knife tactics became "known" as MBC. I formed an LLC in Colorado under the name "Martial Blade Craft" in 2003.

While teaching for Spyderco, I had been working for Paladin Press (my real job). When I left Paladin and went to work for BlackHawk, Sal and I agreed that it would be a conflict of interest for me to teach for Spyderco while managing a competing knife company. Since the "MBC" acronym had become well accepted, I changed my expression of it to "Martial Blade Concepts." Spyderco maintained the "Martial Blade Craft" term. My LLC became a d/b/a Martial Blade Concepts as well.

Stay safe,

Mike
And now you work for the good guys too. Man, I miss the old Paladin Press stuff. I didn’t buy a lot from them but loved all their offerings
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

twinboysdad wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:33 pm
Michael Janich wrote:

Stay safe,

Mike
And now you work for the good guys too. Man, I miss the old Paladin Press stuff. I didn’t buy a lot from them but loved all their offerings
Yeah it was Paladin Press who also sold "The Spyderco Story" by Kenneth Delavigne. That book is sure getting tough to find.

I'm kind of surprised that Paladin shut their doors with all of this survival info taking off like it is. Delta Press is still in business from what I heard. They sell a lot of the items that Paladin did. Paladin Press sure had a great selection of specialty type books of a wide range of subjects.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Hey, JD:

Paladin was THE source for information on offbeat topics for decades. Their peak was 1999--just prior to Y2K and the perceived meltdown of all things computer related. When the world didn't end, nobody wanted to hear about survivalism--at least for a few years. With the rise of the Internet and societal leanings toward instant gratification, it was easier to Google "lock picking" than it was to wait 7-10 days for a book on lock picking to arrive at your door.

Amazon also was a big part of Paladin's decline. Like many specialty businesses, once they made a deal with Amazon, they appreciated the increase in volume, but profit declined due to the shift from consumer-direct sales (at healthy margins) to distributor sales (at deep discounts). Amazon's pricing policies further contributed to that frustration.

For a while, Paladin tried to compete by doing print-on-demand books instead of old-school traditional print runs. Unfortunately, they tried to feed that by resurrecting and digitizing old books that had been discontinued for a reason. They never did the math properly and margins continued to dwindle.

At its peak, Paladin had a staff of about 40 people, most of whom embraced the founder, Peder Lund's original corporate culture. We all worked together to make the company successful. As Peder spent more and more time living in the UK, he was less "hands-on" in his management and a few people with poor attitudes and no sense of the market began to erode the culture. I tried to address that by suggesting a number of strategic actions that could repair the business. Although the Editorial Director resented my efforts, Peder later (several years later) admitted to me that I was right. By that time, I had moved on and the company was beginning to flounder.

Ultimately, Peder's death sealed the deal. His wife had no interest in continuing the business and shut it down. End of an era...

Stay safe,

Mike

P.S. I was proud to have been a catalyst for connecting Ken Delavigne, Spyderco, and Paladin in the publication of "The Spyderco Story." Good times...
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Michael Janich wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:03 am
Hey, JD:

Paladin was THE source for information on offbeat topics for decades. Their peak was 1999--just prior to Y2K and the perceived meltdown of all things computer related. When the world didn't end, nobody wanted to hear about survivalism--at least for a few years. With the rise of the Internet and societal leanings toward instant gratification, it was easier to Google "lock picking" than it was to wait 7-10 days for a book on lock picking to arrive at your door.

Amazon also was a big part of Paladin's decline. Like many specialty businesses, once they made a deal with Amazon, they appreciated the increase in volume, but profit declined due to the shift from consumer-direct sales (at healthy margins) to distributor sales (at deep discounts). Amazon's pricing policies further contributed to that frustration.

For a while, Paladin tried to compete by doing print-on-demand books instead of old-school traditional print runs. Unfortunately, they tried to feed that by resurrecting and digitizing old books that had been discontinued for a reason. They never did the math properly and margins continued to dwindle.

At its peak, Paladin had a staff of about 40 people, most of whom embraced the founder, Peder Lund's original corporate culture. We all worked together to make the company successful. As Peder spent more and more time living in the UK, he was less "hands-on" in his management and a few people with poor attitudes and no sense of the market began to erode the culture. I tried to address that by suggesting a number of strategic actions that could repair the business. Although the Editorial Director resented my efforts, Peder later (several years later) admitted to me that I was right. By that time, I had moved on and the company was beginning to flounder.

Ultimately, Peder's death sealed the deal. His wife had no interest in continuing the business and shut it down. End of an era...

Stay safe,

Mike

P.S. I was proud to have been a catalyst for connecting Ken Delavigne, Spyderco, and Paladin in the publication of "The Spyderco Story." Good times...
I had an OG Anarchist Cookbook that has been lost in my many moves, pretty sure it came from Paladin
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

Another vote for lc200n.
max808

Post by max808 »

Michael Janich wrote:

Stay safe,

Mike
Thanks for sharing that history Mike, just last year I heard MBC for the first time but seen your videos. Would you recommend anyone over in northern Europe to go see about MBC training? Much obliged Sir and have a great Sunday.

max
For man's only weapon is courage that flinches not from the gates of **** itself, and against such not even the legions of **** can stand. Robert E. Howard
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear Max:

Thank you for your interest in MBC. All the authorized training sources for MBC are listed on the MBC Instructor Locator on my website. The US-based instructors are listed first, but if you scroll down, you'll see the folks in other countries. Here's a link: https://www.martialbladeconcepts.com/mb ... or-locator.

Stay safe,

Mike
max808

Post by max808 »

Michael Janich wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:10 am
Dear Max:

Thank you for your interest in MBC. All the authorized training sources for MBC are listed on the MBC Instructor Locator on my website. The US-based instructors are listed first, but if you scroll down, you'll see the folks in other countries. Here's a link: https://www.martialbladeconcepts.com/mb ... or-locator.

Stay safe,

Mike
Happy to oblige Mike, and thank you for that great resource. Have a good one and you stay safe as well Sir.

max