Little help, can’t decide on a new Salt?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
u.w.

Re: Little help, can’t decide on a new Salt?

Post by u.w. »

Very nice!

u.w.
benben

Post by benben »

u.w. wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:05 pm
Very nice!

u.w.
I’m loving this Green! No play, centered, SHARP, super smooth pivot, and back spacer is dead flush!
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

benben wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:09 pm
u.w. wrote:
Very nice!

u.w.
I’m loving this Green! No play, centered, SHARP, super smooth pivot, and back spacer is dead flush!
Ah, but do you love it more than the PE LC200N you’ll buy shortly, or maybe the blacked out H1 after that? Because… Well, that’s how it goes with Pacifics.

Pretty soon you might even try out an OG Pacific 1 from the used market. I speak from experience. ;)
benben

Post by benben »

Coastal wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:06 pm
benben wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:09 pm
u.w. wrote:
Very nice!

u.w.
Ah, but do you love it more than the PE LC200N you’ll buy shortly, or maybe the blacked out H1 after that? Because… Well, that’s how it goes with Pacifics.

Pretty soon you might even try out an OG Pacific 1 from the used market. I speak from experience. ;)
Ha, I’ve got a OG serrated Pac Salt 1, just hoping this new one lives up to that one!
Spicy Suplex

Post by Spicy Suplex »

Coastal wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:06 pm

Saw some brand new ones available recently, can't remember which retailer? NationalKnives? Dunno how many they had but they only stayed around for a few days.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

BHQ is listing the Native 5 Salt in green scales and LC200N.

https://www.bladehq.com/item--Spyderco- ... ck--145692
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

They have been since it was revealed, or very close to then. That listing has been up a while.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
benben

Post by benben »

1FC1957E-195D-42F5-BC2A-6E19BCF8C348.jpeg
The new Green Pac Salt fits in well with my humble serrated collection.
Nate

Post by Nate »

Folks still sleeping on the UKPK Salts. :shush

I know, I know, no lock, but they’re sooo nice.
:spyder:
metaphoricalsimile

Post by metaphoricalsimile »

I picked up a serrated wharncliffe Salt 2 and have big regrets. I just don't find this blade shape as all-around useful as blades that have some belly to them.
benben

Post by benben »

metaphoricalsimile wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:01 am
I picked up a serrated wharncliffe Salt 2 and have big regrets. I just don't find this blade shape as all-around useful as blades that have some belly to them.
I definitely get what you’re saying, when starting this thread the wharncliffe Salt 2 was on my early list. I have a Yojimbo, a Rockjumper, and a Urban wharnie, I think those are enough for me. While I do like that blade shape, it’s far from my favorite! The Manix leaf is definitely my favorite blade shape.
benben

Post by benben »

VooDooChild wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:47 am
Get a plain edge Pacific Salt 2 lc200n or a plain edge Native 5 Salt lc200n, whichever you think you would like best and use more.

Lc200n is great. No, it is not amazing (or even that good) at edge holding. But it sharpens like a dream. I would say its closest to bd1n in terms of edge holding and sharpenability.

If you already have serrated h1, then plain edge lc200n seems like the logical alternative choice.

For me, I know theres a difference in grind, but I dont think theres enough of a difference between a serrated LC pac salt and a serrated H1 pac salt. Everything is the same except the grind and they cut similarly. Anything the serrated LC pac salt can do, the serrated H1 pac salt can also do, even if the flat grind cuts better sometimes. Variety is the spice of life and all that.

Theres also the caribbean to consider.
Great post, I’ve probably read it 10 times! Knew I’d end up with a Pacific Salt but really struggled on which edge to buy, especially already having a SE H1 Pac Salt. But I ultimately ended up buying the serrated LC200N version. I think for a corrosion proof plain edge knife I’ll wait to see what all models we’ll see in MagnaCut?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

benben wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:04 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 3:48 pm
I personally am at a point where I´d pretty much always recommend SE over PE - also for the food prep you mentioned.
I´d go with the Pac Salt LC200N in SE.
Alright Wartstein….don’t never say no one ever listens to you, picked this up this afternoon.
A08765FD-77E2-4ED0-B3C8-EE19C166A8BC.jpegD525F55A-633E-4FCF-8F6B-154B7F9F3DF0.jpegD26BE572-3E4E-445D-BB70-797CFC0FEE71.jpegC503EB9B-F9A5-4ECF-8046-A115B90A4BDB.jpeg
(Sorry for the late reply)

Very cool!! :smlling-eyes

People sometimes DO listen to me and I always hope they won´t regret it... ;)... so: How does the SE in food prep?
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Depends upon the stage of food prep. Once things are mostly butchered or harvested, it's PE from there on for the most part.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

skeeg11 wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:54 am
Depends upon the stage of food prep. Once things are mostly butchered or harvested, it's PE from there on for the most part.

I actually really like SE on a cutting board for food prep: Dulls a lot slower than PE, "initially penetrates" things like tomato skin extremely well, and cuts better for me (though this will be more due to the much steeper (chisel) grind angle of SE, and of course I could give PE a steeper angle too).

BUT, that said: I am not a pro at all in real, "Chef" food prep with knives, and as far as I know people who ARE (like Vivi) DO prefer PE. Certainly for a reason.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Aggressive SE doesn't come near my end grain butcher blocks. :spiral-eyes Costs more than many knives.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

skeeg11 wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:08 am
Aggressive SE doesn't come near my end grain butcher blocks. :spiral-eyes Costs more than many knives.

:grin-sweat ... I see that you are certainly much more of a pro on that matter than I am... I just have very cheap "beater" plastic and wood boards.

I guess the question here probably is not if very good, dedicated PE kitchen knives are better than SE (this might or even will very well be the case, as said I am not an expert at all on this).... but rather if the "typical" PE EDC folder or the "typical" SE EDC folder work better for spontaneous food prep. And here SE might play out it´s advantages like the steeper chisel grind, don´t know. For me it does.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

My favorite kitchen knives are far thinner than all my Spydercos. I do have one serrated edge “sandwich knife” that works very well on ripe tomatoes, but the ability to cut a tomato is my breaking point for “time to sharpen the kitchen knives”. A sharp PE should easily slice tomatoes! A PM2 works OK camping, but I prefer using my Mora Kansbol as the camp kitchen knife.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

ImageNo regrets with my PAC Salt H1 PE if you ever want this type of edge . Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
z1r

Post by z1r »

I love my SE Pac Salt but the size means it doesn't get much carry time. And, while I'm not a big Delica fan, I love the this Salt 2: