Aftermarket DLC Questions

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Theldraskien

Aftermarket DLC Questions

Post by Theldraskien »

Hi everyone, I have an interest getting DLC put on a K390 SE blade.

I’m wondering if anyone has tried this or if anyone has experiences to share with aftermarket DLC options for their Spydies.

I see the the temp for the process is 500 degrees F, so I’m wondering if that would affect the heat treatment as well.
yablanowitz

Re: Aftermarket DLC Questions

Post by yablanowitz »

I don't know the heat treatment protocols for K390, but I personally would be very leary about exposing any knife blade to temperature that high. I'm sure Sal could tell you, but I'm a lot less sure he would. Sharing propriatary processes is doing R & D for the competition.
phaust

Post by phaust »

FWIW, threads on the topic seem to come up with decent frequency (here, bladeforums, elsewhere), and the answer I've always seen is it doesn't matter.
Theldraskien

Post by Theldraskien »

Thanks phaust, I’ll do a bit more digging to locate those threads. Appreciate the response.
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

just a WAG but that 500 degree range is reminiscent of tempering protocols. So it may cost you a point or 2 on hardness but you'll get added toughness. But again it's a WAG and really we need some of our knife makers to weight in here.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

From Alpha Knife Supply's heat treating protocols for K390:

K390 Heat Treat Information:
Preheat: 1,500° - 1,550°, equalize.

Austenitize: Heat rapidly from preheat. For optimum wear resistance, soak for 5 to 15 minutes 2,150°. For balance of wear resistance and toughness, soak for 15 to 30 minute 2,050°. For maximum toughness and minimum distortion in cooling, soak for 30 to 60 minutes 1,975°. Quench in pressurized gas, or warm oil then cool in still air to 150-125°.

Temper: Temper immediately after quenching. Typical temperature range is 1,000-1100°. Do not temper below 1,000°. Hold at temperature for two hours then air cool to ambient temperature. Double tempering is required. Triple tempering is required when austenitized at 2,100°F or higher. Use the chart below to select the tempering temperature.

Stay safe,

Mike
Theldraskien

Post by Theldraskien »

Thanks Michael, appreciate the response.