Falling out of love with serrations

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Rinzler

Re: Falling out of love with serrations

Post by Rinzler »

prndltech wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:10 pm
I should’ve added to my original post… combo edges!
Combo edges are garbage. I used to believe in combo edged knives and they seem great in concept but in practice they offer a poor straight edge and a poor serrated edge. There’s never enough linear blade length to work with in a combo edge knife.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

prndltech wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:54 pm

FWIW, they do actually have band saw blades and circular saw blades with no teeth. Now, what they’re used for… I have no idea, but I’ve seen em! So they can be found.
Circular saw blades with no teeth are typically for masonry.
And with that, I have provided all I can for this thread. 😂

I need to try some SE, but I really want a PE H1 Pacific first. As much as I love my LC200N version, I would like the heaver blade for the HG and heftier feel.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Rinzler wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:31 pm
prndltech wrote:
Combo edges are garbage. I used to believe in combo edged knives and they seem great in concept but in practice they offer a poor straight edge and a poor serrated edge. There’s never enough linear blade length to work with in a combo edge knife.
I disagree.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

VooDooChild wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:31 pm
Rinzler wrote:
prndltech wrote:
I disagree.
Me too. I like both and combo edges… they all work for me but as stated earlier:

on a second note… This isn’t a “defend serrations” thread. Homie only said he was loving PE blades with a coarse edge more for his personal use at this point and time in his life, because it’s working better for him. Brother vivi was just giving us a update. Obviously, everyone has their personal uses for a knife every day, that others don’t encounter.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

prndltech wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:41 pm
Obviously, everyone has their personal uses for a knife every day, that others don’t encounter.
unacceptable. agree with me or be wrong.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

prndltech wrote:
VooDooChild wrote:
Rinzler wrote:
prndltech wrote:
I disagree.
Me too. I like both and combo edges… they all work for me but as stated earlier:

on a second note… This isn’t a “defend serrations” thread. Homie only said he was loving PE blades with a coarse edge more for his personal use at this point and time in his life, because it’s working better for him. Brother vivi was just giving us a update. Obviously, everyone has their personal uses for a knife every day, that others don’t encounter.

This definitely is a defend serrations thread (situation) for me. I've worked hard to be a part of what small serrations revival we've seen in the last 5 years and I have hopes that more models will get a SE option because of it. It's already hard enough with all the typical serration hate that gets repeated by people who don't even give it a chance, it's even harder when one of the guys who started the revival turns his back on it. It's a very small flame that will easily burn out again and I'd like very much to have buying options in the future beyond a handful of Salt models.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Nuh Nups

Post by Nuh Nups »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:57 pm
prndltech wrote:
VooDooChild wrote:
Rinzler wrote:

I disagree.

This definitely is a defend serrations thread (situation) for me. I've worked hard to be a part of what small serrations revival we've seen in the last 5 years and I have hopes that more models will get a SE option because of it. It's already hard enough with all the typical serration hate that gets repeated by people who don't even give it a chance, it's even harder when one of the guys who started the revival turns his back on it. It's a very small flame that will easily burn out again and I'd like very much to have buying options in the future beyond a handful of Salt models.

David,
For what it’s worth, your posts have encouraged me to give serrations a fair shot. I ended up loving them. I’ve been carrying a serrated K390 Police 4 daily since it came out. I also carry a Millie. I enjoy the serrations on the Police 4 enough that I can overlook a couple of things about the knife that I don’t really like. Back locks are not my favorite and I prefer G10 to FRN. That said, the Police 4 has become one of my most-carried knives simply because I love the teeth. I keep it tuned on the Sharpmaker and is a fantastic slicer.
M.N.O.S.D. member 0026
vivi

Post by vivi »

I simply chase performance.

At one point I felt polished PE reigned supreme.

Then I felt nothing beat a SE knife.

Now I feel a coarse PE is the best compromise between the two extremes.

I'm not loyal to any steel, edge type, blade grind knife size or handle material. I just gravitate towards what gets the job done with the least fuss.
:unicorn
Big John

Post by Big John »

Plain edge knives are definitely my favorite, but for certain tasks like cutting very large diameter rope, there's no comparison, serrated is the only way to go.
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

vivi wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:25 pm
I'm not loyal to any steel, edge type, blade grind knife size or handle material. I just gravitate towards what gets the job done with the least fuss.
This strikes me as a pretty enlightened view. I'm not there yet. I still feel the draw to hyped and expensive knives. But I also know that they aren't magical or better than what I currently own or can buy for a more reasonable price.
benben

Post by benben »

I have enough serrated knives to do whatever I need a serrated knife to do, just bought another serrated LC200N Pacific Salt two days ago.

The Massad Ayoob Sprint…..I’ve had my mind made up for awhile I’m buying two, one in each edge. When I found out at least the plain edge is going to be in Cru-Wear I got to thinking, I really only need a plain edge! I sharpen my current Cru-Wear blades with the brown rods only for that sticky, toothy, course edge and they cut insanely well. So if I need serrated, I already have plenty to choose from.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

vivi wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:25 pm
I just gravitate towards what gets the job done with the least fuss.
Coarse PE for me, too. vivi the wise.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I still carry one full PE and one full SE blade each and every day. There are not many days that go by when I don't use both of them. I don't see myself changing that routine anytime in the near future either. And on the days I only use one of them it's usually the full SE blade I use.

SE blades are just so good with cordage, extremely tough materials, many types of polymers and in the lawn, garden and timber I always find an SE blade indispensable.

But I also highly value a super sharp PE blade. And for those needs I usually have one of my C-36 Military, a PARA2 or one of my other great PE models in rotation. Both SE & PE blades need to be very sharp for optimal performance to be sure.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

ladybug93 wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:48 pm
prndltech wrote:
Obviously, everyone has their personal uses for a knife every day, that others don’t encounter.
unacceptable. agree with me or be wrong.
:rofl
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

For me, a polished edge is pretty, but it slides off of things very easily, even tomato skins. However, coarse stones provide better edges and it isn't just a nice theory. They cut and cut well. Now, I have a couple of combo edges (nice if there is a rope) and only one serrated edge Spyderco. I still prefer the PE on a coarse stone. There are too many scenarios where a SE does not do a good job and I would never shave my face with a Spyderco SE (I tried). I would with a PE.

I have some Victorinox serrated edges and prefer them to the Spyderco pattern. They are a good compromise between PE and SE. Those wavy edges are similar to what many people like when their SE wears down and gets rounded off.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
elena86

Post by elena86 »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:47 pm

SE blades are just so good with cordage, extremely tough materials, many types of polymers and in the lawn, garden and timber I always find an SE blade indispensable.
That… plus I am probably the last of the mohicans when it comes to defending the old style spyderedge… as pointy and aggressive as possible that is. People are afraid of those maybe because most don’t take the time and effort to bring and keep them at peak sharpness but once you do that spyderedge will just outcut any other edge type and it will be done with grace and ease. I realized that Spyderco will embrace( they are a business after all) this new small and rounded serration pattern(I don’t even call it a spyderedge because it isn’t anymore) so I started to pile quite a few old style SE spydies. Spyderco revolutionized the knife world in many ways, the old school spyderedge pattern being one of them and for me the most important, along with the opening hole and the modified clip point style blade shape. I am too old and tired to start a new thread(with some footage and dinamic physics included) to prove my theory but maybe one day people will rediscover the old school spyderedge and say once more : Sal Glesser was a genius when he imagined this serration pattern … and I shall smile from my grave 😀
Last edited by elena86 on Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

I like both PE and SE, but I think serrations are better for longevity, more efficient, etc.
There are some other things I suspect serrations bring to the table that I don’t ever see mentioned, but I’ll get into that another time I think.

I also just prefer the way they cut for most purposes. It seems like we all have slightly different preferences when it comes to the feel of a cut.

I’ve become more fond of combo edges recently too.

It’s all so interesting to think and talk about, but I’d at least like to say that essentially everything I’ve seen in discussions about edge finishes, edge geometries, edge types, and more has all been “experimented with” by organisms for millions of years. The parallels are fascinating.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I think what actually is being debated is the *size* of serrations.
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

I tried se i tried ce. They have there use and do some things better then pe .
I loved them for the first couple of days and then it fades away. It is just because i find a pe to more able to do everything while for me serrations have more limited use. Yes probably its just a feeling like my feeling that s30v is still the best out there and all the super steels are highly overrated and overpriced but if you tried more then ones and you still keep on feeling that way then there is nothing wrong wit saying you like Plain edges more. And Evil D i do not think spyderco is going to quit giving you se options just because 1 person changes his mind. So you are probably safe.But i understand and know what you are feeling. I have the same kinda feeling over all those LW knives. Heavy folder are for me as serrations are for you and the idea you might run out of options because you are not mainstream is very scary and frustrating.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Unless you're talking about a hard nylon rope or something similar in my experience polished edges don't slide off things unless they're dull. A well maintained polished edge that will grab a hair or cut into a fingernail isn't going to slide off a tomato.

It's not like a coarse or serrated edge that has a long 'working edge aggression', but if you're diligent in maintaining it with a strop or fine stones, it cuts very aggressively in my experience. You almost have to be careful you don't cut too far into things.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal