C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Rp5

Re: C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Post by Rp5 »

At this point I think it's more a waiting game of shipping and getting stuff to dealers.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Rp5 wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:54 pm
At this point I think it's more a waiting game of shipping and getting stuff to dealers.

I wonder if they do an agreement with all the dealers to wait until everyone gets them before they're released, or of Spyderco gets them all and ships them all and let's it happen as they're delivered.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:56 pm
Rp5 wrote:

I wonder if they do an agreement with all the dealers to wait until everyone gets them before they're released, or of Spyderco gets them all and ships them all and let's it happen as they're delivered.
Yeah I've thought about that very same thing myself. But one thing I haven't heard in all of this exchange of information is how many are SFO themselves going to have for sale? Or are they included in this Sprint Run? It seems to me that in the past you've been able to get most models from SFO if you're willing to pay MSRP ( full flaming retail).
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

Cruwear?! How did I miss that? Not paying attention, I guess.

I was about to write a post about SE in premium steels and ask about tougher steels and serrations. May this pave the way for other special SE steels.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

defenestrate wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:05 pm

I was about to write a post about SE in premium steels and ask about tougher steels and serrations. May this pave the way for other special SE steels.
Well Brother I'm holding my breath concerning whether or not Cruwear will make a good steel for serrated blades.

Great to hear from you DEF!! Chime in more often my friend. And do get yourself one of these C-60 Sprint Run models.

We are getting closer to the release day.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

defenestrate wrote:

Absolutely. 🤞🤞

I would love to see at least one model that I like get a variety of SE steel options, preferably one of the Golden models just because I seem to like their models the most.
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 1:55 am
defenestrate wrote:

Absolutely. 🤞🤞

I would love to see at least one model that I like get a variety of SE steel options, preferably one of the Golden models just because I seem to like their models the most.
I completely agree. But I'm hoping that Brother Larrin and other steel experts here at Spyderville will come up with an efficient way to rate the different steels for serrated blades. Because one thing is for sure the properties that are desirable for SE blades are somewhat different that what makes up a great plain edged blade.

It's still fresh in my memory how badly ZDP-189 did with TEETH. And I'll admit that I was sort of surprised about that one. So I'm hoping that CRUWEAR does well in that regard.
Matus

Post by Matus »

I can well imagine that there would be room for optimization and development, but my naive guess would be - low toughnes == not great for SE, low edge stability == not great for SE. And, when it comes to actual maintenance of the SE edge I would also tend to avoid super high wear resistant steels, simply because there are really no diamond or CBN based abrasives (the Spyderco rods are kind-of OK, but you actually want 'stones' and not 'plates') that have well defined edges to use for these steels and it is well documented that basic abrasives don't get the full potential from such steels.

So, naively, I would not pick steel like ZDP (very low toughness), Maxamet (low toughness and super high wear resistance) or even k390 (yes, I actually think that). But either simpler steels like Sypderco is already using (H1, LC200N, VG10) do well and steels like Cruwear, Magnacut, or maybe XHP might do pretty OK.

Again, this is probably a very simplified view of the things. It would be great to get more input on this from someone like Larrin, even though it may be hard to make a well defined test.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Matus wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:42 pm
I can well imagine that there would be room for optimization and development, but my naive guess would be - low toughnes == not great for SE, low edge stability == not great for SE. And, when it comes to actual maintenance of the SE edge I would also tend to avoid super high wear resistant steels, simply because there are really no diamond or CBN based abrasives (the Spyderco rods are kind-of OK, but you actually want 'stones' and not 'plates') that have well defined edges to use for these steels and it is well documented that basic abrasives don't get the full potential from such steels.

So, naively, I would not pick steel like ZDP (very low toughness), Maxamet (low toughness and super high wear resistance) or even k390 (yes, I actually think that). But either simpler steels like Sypderco is already using (H1, LC200N, VG10) do well and steels like Cruwear, Magnacut, or maybe XHP might do pretty OK.

Again, this is probably a very simplified view of the things. It would be great to get more input on this from someone like Larrin, even though it may be hard to make a well defined test.
Yeah it's really interesting that some of these steels like Cruwear, Maxamet and about 6 other blade steels I could name really stand out in PE blades>> but might not do so well in full SE based on experiences we had with ZDP-189. Like I said earlier when Spyderco started having problems with the full SE blades that they made with ZDP-189 did sort of take me by surprise. But the proof was in the pudding as the old saying goes.

I'm really looking forward to the C-60 Ayoob PE in Cruwear. I'm just hoping that Cruwear holds up better than ZDP did in full SE. I got a feeling that it will. Because Cruwear does seem to have certain properties that ZDP didn't have so maybe it will do really well. I'll be the first to admit that when I discovered how well the old 440V (S60V) performed in full SE I was sort of surprised with that one. Which proves that actually using these blades and using them hard is the best test you can have.

It's not going to be much longer till we have a unit that we can put to the test. Because I'm sure hoping that Cruwear will perform well with TEETH. Because if it does this will be the best Sprint Run we've ever had IMO.
Matus

Post by Matus »

I can only agree
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

FWIW Cruwear is tested pretty high on toughness. Just below LC200N. Probably one of the tougher (tensile strength) steals Spyderco works with behind H1 and LC200N. I would think it would do excellent especially considering reports on how it sharpens. I have no experience with Cruwear or SE, so just guessing on paper.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

JSumm wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:00 pm
FWIW Cruwear is tested pretty high on toughness. Just below LC200N. Probably one of the tougher (tensile strength) steals Spyderco works with behind H1 and LC200N. I would think it would do excellent especially considering reports on how it sharpens. I have no experience with Cruwear or SE, so just guessing on paper.
Thank you very much for sharing that with us. That is the first time I've heard that on this thread. It's been a while since I looked at the alloy chart on Cruwear but I'll try to get around to it this week. I've got a good feeling that Mr. Glesser knew exactly what he was doing when he made that decision. I think he wants this Sprint Run to be a success as much as most of us here on the Forum do.
I was surprised when I discovered how well CTS-XHP did in a full SE Blade. Because I've got the Military model with that steel and as good as it holds an edge in PE I had suspicions that it might be just a tad too hard to be an ideal steel for SE blades. Thankfully I was wrong about that one.
So if Cruwear does as good as XHP did in SE then we are all going to be happy with this selection.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:01 pm
JSumm wrote:
Thank you very much for sharing that with us. That is the first time I've heard that on this thread. It's been a while since I looked at the alloy chart on Cruwear but I'll try to get around to it this week. I've got a good feeling that Mr. Glesser knew exactly what he was doing when he made that decision. I think he wants this Sprint Run to be a success as much as most of us here on the Forum do.
I was surprised when I discovered how well CTS-XHP did in a full SE Blade. Because I've got the Military model with that steel and as good as it holds an edge in PE I had suspicions that it might be just a tad too hard to be an ideal steel for SE blades. Thankfully I was wrong about that one.
So if Cruwear does as good as XHP did in SE then we are all going to be happy with this selection.
I forgot about AEB-L and 3V. I think those are tougher, but Cruwear is still scores very high. Much higher than steels like VG-10.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

JSumm wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 4:29 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:01 pm
JSumm wrote:
I forgot about AEB-L and 3V. I think those are tougher, but Cruwear is still scores very high. Much higher than steels like VG-10.
I think you're right on the money. I've found it quite interesting in the past 3 to 5 years how many fixed blades are made with 3V. I'm sure there is a valid reason for it.

This is becoming a most interesting waiting game.
DLTJordan

Post by DLTJordan »

Evil D wrote:
Rp5 wrote:

Pretty much this. They get them in, then send them out to dealers and its up to each dealer on when to release them.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

DLTJordan wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 3:12 pm
Evil D wrote:
Rp5 wrote:

Pretty much this. They get them in, then send them out to dealers and its up to each dealer on when to release them.
That's interesting. I'm wondering if that is a rule that reputable knife dealers do indeed adhere to? I'm also wondering if some knife dealers wait for all the other knife dealers to sell out of a certain model before they put the ones they have up for sale.

That would maybe give them more leverage price-wise. Because I do look for this Sprint Run to sell out probably in less than a month I would speculate.

Also are we going to hear from dealers or Spyderco themselves when they do finally release this C-60 Sprint Run for sale?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I noticed some very optimistic soul has a collectors club Ayoob on fleabay for the low low price of $625. Apparently they think being collector's club #001 is special or something. I guess as far as numbers go it's better than some other random number, but personally it detracts from the value for me. I'd be shocked if they get half the asking price and if they do I sure hope the buyer understands what they're buying.
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 5:22 am
I noticed some very optimistic soul has a collectors club Ayoob on fleabay for the low low price of $625. Apparently they think being collector's club #001 is special or something. I guess as far as numbers go it's better than some other random number, but personally it detracts from the value for me. I'd be shocked if they get half the asking price and if they do I sure hope the buyer understands what they're buying.
I couldn't even imagine an older C-60 Ayoob going for over $300 much less the $600+ asking price especially with the new Sprint Run close at hand.. That is taking fantasy to another level entirely.
With the new Sprint Run close to it's release why would anyone even pay over $300 for it at this time? I seriously doubt if they would.
Sure it's a nice collector's piece at this point. But with a VG-10 blade at $600+????!! I guess everyone is entitled to dream.
DLTJordan

Post by DLTJordan »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:31 am
DLTJordan wrote:
Evil D wrote:
Rp5 wrote:

That's interesting. I'm wondering if that is a rule that reputable knife dealers do indeed adhere to? I'm also wondering if some knife dealers wait for all the other knife dealers to sell out of a certain model before they put the ones they have up for sale.

That would maybe give them more leverage price-wise. Because I do look for this Sprint Run to sell out probably in less than a month I would speculate.

Also are we going to hear from dealers or Spyderco themselves when they do finally release this C-60 Sprint Run for sale?

No rule on it - just up to the individual dealers. Some dealers put up their stock right away even if they get like 3-5, others will hold until they enough to put up (say 20-40 units depending on product) - I am not aware of any legit dealers who hold all their stock until others sell out and then release them at an inflated price.

Based on previous knives, Spyderco will probably send out an app notification, otherwise it will be dealer emails and social media posts to alert about stock being available.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

DLTJordan wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:35 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:31 am
DLTJordan wrote:
Evil D wrote:

No rule on it - just up to the individual dealers. Some dealers put up their stock right away even if they get like 3-5, others will hold until they enough to put up (say 20-40 units depending on product) - I am not aware of any legit dealers who hold all their stock until others sell out and then release them at an inflated price.

Based on previous knives, Spyderco will probably send out an app notification, otherwise it will be dealer emails and social media posts to alert about stock being available.
Yeah I see what you're saying. That really wouldn't work except on a few really exceptional Sprint Runs anyway. It would end up being counter-productive and eventually give that dealer a really bad reputation as well.

As much demand as there is for this upcoming C-60 Ayoob Sprint Run I think most dealers can easily charge close to full flaming retail as it is ( MSRP) for all the C-60 Ayoob they are fortunate enough to get.

I am now wondering what could be taking so long. I thought for sure we would have had that C-60 Sprint Run before the 4th of July>> shows you how little I know. :anxious